USA Today releases the Coaches Poll

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by vinsjets, Aug 7, 2009.

1. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Not a single Big East team in the top-25, yet there's 3 Mountain West and 1 WAC team.... And Notre Dame :rofl:

BCS Auto-bid:
    ACC: 4 teams
    Big 10: 3 teams
    Big 12: 4 teams
    Big East: 0 teams
    Pac 10: 4 teams
    SEC: 5 teams

Everyone Else:
    Independent: 1
    Mountain West:3
    WAC:1

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ND being on there is an absolute joke

3. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Why? Top 10 in recruiting this year and if they lose they drop out anyway.

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What does recruiting rankings have to do with a preseason poll?

5. wildthing202

What else would contribute to the rankings, spring games? I don't see Utah in the top 5 despite going undefeated last year. Why'd Texas Tech drop out of the top 25 completely?

6. Zcore

Zcore New Member

You have to admit...he's got a good point

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quality of team last year minus what the team lost from graduation/leaving early for draft, true freshmen as a whole has a very little impact on the sport for the most part, Texas Tech lost their star QB and WR so of course they were going to take a hit in the rankings

ND was a .500 team even with a creampuff schedule

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

You call last year's schedule a creampuff schedule? You should see this year's. And while I agree Notre Dame is not a Top 25 team, who really cares about preseason polls. They mean nothing. All that matters is what it is at the end. As a Notre Dame fan, I think we both know they'll be outside the Top 25 at the end of the season (although I can hope for the best). As for the preseason polls, there is no basis. You take into account last year a little, factor in what they gained, factor in the returning starters, factor in just pure gut...but really, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

9. wildthing202

8-4 with a shot at 9-3. There's only 1 guaranteed loss and that's USC. The team's not as weak as you think they are.

10. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Yeah but I feel like we say that every year. I'm trying a new angle this year haha

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Don't tell Kyle Whittingham they mean nothing.... had Utah been ranked in the preseason top 15 last year they may have played for a national title. If they mean nothing they should be eliminated. Notre Dame does not deserve to be ranked anything. They haven't been an elite program many years in a row? They are there because college football is a joke when it comes to rankings and how they determine champions. It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things but ND has done nothing in 2 years to warrant any Top 25 ranking... Top recruiting classes only go so far if you can't win big games which is something the Irish have not done a whole lot of the last few years.

12. wildthing202

23rd not 5th like most of you guys are making it sound like after beating Hawaii badly in their house. Sporting News has them 18th.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...does-notre-dame-deserve-its-preseason-ranking

13. Barry the Baptist

Hawaii wasn't any good last year and they wouldn't have even been in a bowl game if not for the Hawaii Bowl. You guys are making it seem as if they were a borderline top 25 team all last season. The bottom line is the Irish haven't won a big game in how many years? They got blown out by USC and lost to Syracuse..... it's great guys are older but until they can win a big game they don't deserve to be a Top 25 team.

14. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Georgia was shut out of the National Championship game a couple years ago thanks to the preseason polls

15. Barry the Baptist

Auburn too.....

The real question here is which team that is highly touted will fade and be a major disapointment like we have seen so often? The other question is which non BCS team will make a run? I'd love to say TCU but I don't think it'll be them... trips to Virginia and Clemson should be tough early season matchups. If they get by those BYU will have them circled in Provo. More likely it will be Boise who makes the run ....

#15 Barry the Baptist, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  16. wildthing202

Maybe if Georgia didn't lose 2 games they would of gotten in.

And with Auburn there was 3 undefeated teams so without a playoff one of them wouldn't of made it.

17. Barry the Baptist

Yes but the other two teams were ranked ahead of them in the preseason poll.... to say it's meaningless is borderline insanity. It is meaningless if everybody loses a game or two. It meant something to Auburn and it mattered to Utah that year too.... it also mattered to Utah last year and Boise 3 years ago. Oh wait it wouldn't have mattered where Utah or Boise started because they can't play for a national title even as the lone unbeaten team.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Weiss has had highly ranked recruiting classes the past couple of years only to see his team under-achieve. Until this changes I'll have to agree with Miano.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Preseason rankings are ridiculous because they are based on potential, but in reality, this rankings don't mean shit until after the first week of the season is over.

The Notre Dame bashing is getting kind of annoying...this is a team that will be spitting out first round talent for the next two to three seasons.

Notre Dame is loaded with talent this season. In my mind, Jimmy Clausen is a Heisman candidate...Golden Tate and Michael Floyd give him one of the best receiving duos in all of college football. It's now or never for Clausen and the Fighting Irish. If Weis can't win with all of the talent that he has this year, I think he's out.

Also, who cares if there isn't a Big East team in the top 25? Boise State, TCU, Utah, and BYU all deserve to be ranked.
    Boise State is one of the more talented teams in the country...if they get past Oregon in week one, they should cruise to a BCS bowl. Talent wise, this 2009 Blue Bronco team is the best mid-major team ever.

I am still wondering why Georgia is ranked so high...that team is a mess.

#19 Mr Electric, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Boise State has to get past Oregon in the first week of the season, they have a clear path to the BCS. The only other team that will have a shot at beating them is Nevada.

Fresno is starting a freshman at quarterback (David Carr's little brother Derek) - I don't expect more than 5 to 6 wins out of the Dogs this season. Watch out in 2010 though.

TCU can definitely beat Clemson. Clemson has to replace every starter on its offensive line and they will have a new QB in Kyle Parker. If TCU's defense contains CJ Spiller, they'll win...I still don't think they'll go through their Mountain West schedule without losing.

Utah has too many question marks to do it again.

BYU opens their season against Oklahoma...I think their BCS dreams will be crushed pretty fast.

If I had to put money on a team if would be Boise State. Too much talent, a weak schedule, and great coaching.