Upgrade in 4 areas this offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by semperfigreen, Dec 26, 2011.

1. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Where do you all think this would put our team next year if these changes were made by the front office?

1- QB-Peyton Manning- I am not giving up on Sanchez at this point, but if Indianapolis is willing to let him walk to we make the move? We all have our opinions on this move, but we know a player like this (even at the end of his career) will be a huge upgrade a the QB position. Besides Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clarke, he brought out the best in other receivers when they were given a chance to play(Austin Collie, Blair White, Pierre Garcon) I am concerned about his injury as much as everyone else and feel this could be a big risk, but also think he can play at least 2-3 more years.

2- Offensive Coordinator- If Manning was signed this offseason, then this is an obvious change. Regardless of who are QB is next year, we all agree this needs to be addressed.

3- Right Tackle- I think we all have seen enough of Wayne Hunter this year. Whether it is through the draft or Free agency, upgrading at this position is a must in the offseason.

4- Safety- I am all for resigning Jimmy Leonard this offseason if the price is right. I know he is coming off another big injury, but he seems to play his best with a great compliment at this position. (playing with Ed Reed in Baltimore) I know we won't find an Ed Reed type of player this offseason, but we have to bring in a stud safety somehow. It will probabally have to be one of the few free agents this year, unless there is a gem out there in the draft. Is this safety from Alababa (don't know his name) gonna be a first rounder? Once again, we don't need a project at this position, we need an immediate impact at this position.

If these 4 things happen this offseason does this fill most of our holes? Im sure we can all think of other positions to upgrade at, but I think these 4 upgrades will finally take us to the promise land.

2. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Qb is not an issue.

Its a lack of heart in WRs and a deep threat. Also the Oline needs to be re-shuffled.

3. iJet

iJet Member

#3 iJet, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If you want Peyton Manning, it means you have given up on Sanchez. You can't have both.

5. neonleon

neonleon Member

I agree with this completely. It is obvious the jets need someone who is a deep threat to open up everything underneath. Someone similar to what braylon brought to the team. Obviously there needs to be a replacement for hunter

In terms of the defense, if the jets got pressure on the qb their safeties wouldn't look so awful. That being said i hate brodney pool and don't want him back. The first priority needs to be someone who can get to the qb

6. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning LMAO, REALLY! Dude just came of neck surgery, sat out the entire year and will never leave the COLTS who by the way gave him one of the richest contracts ever. Put down that pipe son

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Agreed... man I miss Cotchery. We should sign Hines Ward just so he can kick Holmes' ass and make him worthy of the big contract he got.

8. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

What we need is to overall team speed and a few areas. SAFETIES for sure, Linebackers next who can cover and get to the passer. The Offensive Offensive line needs to be addressed, Brick fell off big time, don't let me get started about Hunter. Crapimheimer has to go, this offense is stale, predictable and downright stupid at times. Examples

Last game 5mins and better, 50 yard line, three pass plays = three and out. Which is really stupid because the only the thing Giants are good at on defense is rushing the passer.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Don't even bother with Peyton. He is not coming here. On top of that, the kid Jets have is all right enough.

2. OC change should have happened long time ago. If Jets fire Schottenheimer this January, they are good 4 years too late.

3. RT, RG and LG all need upgrades

4. Both Safeties need upgrades. Jets had a shot at Landry last off-season (I'm not saying he is the ultimate safety or anything; he is a sure upgrade over whatever Jets have on roster.) so Tannenbaum had better not drop the ball again. On top of that, however, both ILB and OLB position needs serious upgrade. DL looks promising enough so far.

10. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Amen on the WR's. No bigger diappointmnt than the WR's. No seperation, to many drops, selfish attitude. I keep Holmes but Plax is a non factor in the middle of the field. Kerley should be fine but what about a 4th receiver. When the Jets are behind much of the time they are in a two TE set. I know it has something to do with protection but it also has to do with the lack of depth. WR is the biggest issue on the team.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Obviously Jets signed wrong receiver last off-season and let wrong receiver go. With the emergence of Kerley, Edwards/Cotchery/Kerley looks mighty fine in retrospect.

12. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I think going for a vet QB is a mistake. As disappointed and frustrated as I am with Sanchez this season, I think you have to give a guy 4-5 years when you draft him #5. Most of his mistakes are coachable and I think a serving of humble pie may actually be good for him. Agree with O/C, RT, and S. I think S, OLB, RT are the top needs in the draft (not necessarily in that order) or FA.

13. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

New OC

Right Tackle

OLB

Safety

WR

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah Colts can say they are keep Manning now, but when Andrew Luck tells the Colts he will only start, then the Colts will probably have to get rid of Manning or Luck. That situation will not work with Luck on the bench. He wont allow it, and his father Oliver Luck will definately not allow it.

As I said, if Peyton becomes available, we have to jump on the chance to get him. I know we have other Holes, but Peyton alone could carry this team. If we could fix the defense with him here, we would be instant contenders.

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

In the extremely unlikely event that Manning is available
    (will Colts even get the first pick)
    Jets will not (SHOULD NOT) pursue Manning
    especially after the Favre fiasco

That's assuming Manning would want to come here

16. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Yes Peyton is our biggest need, for anyone saying they rather have Sanchez then Manning you are either not a Jet fan or just enjoy the misery this team has brought us the past 40+ years. And Injury so what Brady had a season ending injury to and look at him now? Id take my chances as Manning doesn't come along to often and would only cost us money. Also Manning totally eliminates the need for Shotty he would never put up with his shit and calls him own plays.

#16 jetsown22, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I disagree Favre is different than Manning. If Manning came here it would be for about 3-4 years not just one. Plus we all know we are hosting the Super Bowl in 2 seasons, and obviously want to represent the AFC. Time will tell I guess. The same guy on ESPN who predicted Favre to the Jets months before it happened, also is predicting Manning to the Jets (forget his name).

18. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Yes to all 4. I would add 5 and 6 though:

5. WR - Plax is washed up. He is still tall, but has become noticeably slower and worse at running routes. The Jets need another starter.

6. OLB - Pace is junk at this point in his career, and needs to be replaced. He cant get to the QB anymore (never could with the Jets actually), and that hurts this defense. The Jets badly need a guy who can get to the QB by himself like a Terrell Suggs...

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

(1) bring in football guy to be gm/responsible for player acquisititon. tuna, wolff, casserly, someone with a clue about talent.
    (2) offensive coord and qb coach replaced. josh mc daniels or brian dabold or dennis green.
    guys who can actually do both, plus fix the f-up'd offensive system.
    (3) fix the o-line with at least one tackle and guard who are not injured and have talent.
    (4) some lbs with speed and both safeties and lbs who don't miss at least dozen tackles each game.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

QB is an issue. We just can't do anything about it.

WR2, RT, OLB, S and new OC could all be done this offseason.