Unsubstantiated rumour from SD sports bar

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnnysd, Apr 14, 2006.

1. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I am a Jet fan living in San Diego. Was at a sports bar yesterday and was sitting by a couple guys talking football. It came out that he knew the Schottenheimers from doing something (unclear, was not listening that hard at the time) with the Chargers. Anyway, after a while he says that he talked to Schott Jr. and one of the things he said is that they (Jets) are really getting high on Vernon Davis. Schott apparently thinks he can be better than Gates who Shcott obviously coached. When I hear this, I chimed in and the guy confirmed it and said that the Jets want him and may even take him at 4. I tried to get the guys name but he looked at me like I was nuts.

Now I DO realize that this guy might have been totally blowing smoke out of his ass. He may only dream that he knows the Schottenheimers. But he was not talking to me and did not have any idea I was a Jets fan.

Also in full disclosure: I am a Vernon Davis fan, and it is part of the reason I noticed/heard the conversation.

Also, over at cnnsi Dr Z said this:

"Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland. No, I can't tell you which team told me he might be its first pick, and that would be way up high. That would be scooping myself, since once again I'll be doing that pre-draft handicapping box. But the guy I talked to said, "Every time I look at him, he gets better and better."

Way up high could be the Jets, and might substantitate what this guy said.

Thought I would share this, so don't be too shocked if you hear:

"With the fourth pick in the 2006 NFL draft the New York Jets select Vernon Davis, TE Maryland" (Boos, some applause and yelling from the Jets fans followed by a large excalmation by Berman)

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

man vernon davis would piss me off to no end.. they better trade down.

#2 hydro51, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

It wouldn't necessarily be a "bad" pick, but considering we have so many TEs right now, it's pretty silly to draft yet another, regardless of the talent level. With so many holes, this pick would fill exactly zero.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We've had the worst luck with TE's in the 1st round. not sure how i'd feel about that

5. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

um... I liked the title of the thread at least.

6. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

That wouldn't be a bad pick. Not a smart pick either. Is it me or is there A LOT of hype about this draft this year? More so than in the past? I can't remember the media hyping all these players as being the best players at their positoons to come out of the draft in years....If Bush, Leinart, Young, Brick, Hawk, Mario, Davis etc are as good as advertised then I don't care who we get. There is A LOT of debate over which player this team should/would draft. Let's face it. We stunk it up last year. ANY GOOD/Great player is OK with me. So we won't have Bush going nuts next year for us. Maybe we will have Brick pancaking anyone and everyone or maybe Young embarassing our AFC East opps. Who cares? As long as they do what they were drafted to do then who really gives a flying one. Christ, let's just start winning!!

7. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

iys not just you.. but this is due to the fact that its the #4 PICK. and to make it even better we have #29 too.

8. ColoradoJets

ColoradoJets Member

I would certainly rather trade down for Davis, but wouldn't be that upset if we took him at #4. I know we have other glaring holes but one of our most glaring holes is not having enough playmakers. Great tight ends can make an average qb look really good.

Jolly and Baker may be adaquate but not much more than that.

Bring on the draft already, seems like the longest I have ever waited for the draft. :)

9. Ten

Ten Active Member

I wouldn't rule out this move.With the signing of Teague and Dyson,i get the impression that we are looking to fill our needs in free agency and draft the best player available in the draft,regardless of position.If we sign a tackle then i reckon there is a semi-decent chance of us picking Davis.Davis will probably be a fantastic player so we could do a lot worse.

10. 1028

1028 Active Member

Vernon Davis would be a fantastic pick. I would be ecstatic if this turned out to be true. Im hoping we grab either him or Mario Williams with our first

#10 1028, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  11. 1028

1028 Active Member

I agree, weve done a good job this offseason plugging our holes, with only RT left. But I thought all the starting caliber tackles were off the market though...anybody know whos still available?

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

First, the Jets still don't have their draftboard set yet, that will happen Tue or Wed before the draft. Secondly, why would Brian Schott be spilling his guts to family members who the Jets are going to draft. The Jets don't even know who they are drafting yet. There is no doubt Schott would love a dominant TE, like Gates.

As far as Duke Davis is concerned, I'm a huge fan and would have no issue with the Jets drafting Davis. The average Jet fan doesn't want us to draft a TE in Rd 1, but Davis is a huge playmaker we sorely need. Our Offense is lacking playmakers and Davis would be an instant threat. Davis could line-up as a WR too and create huge mismatches. Linebackers and even most CBs won't be able to stop Davis.

Bush and Davis are the best offensive playmakers in this draft, hands down, 3rd place isn't in the same league.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Davis won't be available past #6, which is SF, GB may even take Davis.

14. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Tight end is the most insignificant position on the field. The Jets can't go taking a guy who might be the next Rickey Dudley until they take care of other positions first. I would be incensed if the Jets took a tight end, particularly in the top five. The tight end gives you a 50 catch receiver. The Giants have Shockey, and they're still looking to fill holes at receiver, so it's not an offensive savior. Teams with overachieving tight ends typically have poor receivers.

-X-

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i think the sand diego rumors should stay in san diego...by the way san diego was founded by the germans...noone knows for sure what it means but i think it means whale's vagina....anyway,im not so sure that schott gets final say in who we pick ya know??

16. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Unless we trade down, I would be fucking irate if this happened. We simply have too many other needs and there will be too many great players available to fill those needs.

#16 F Miami, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

were you wearing any Jets gear? The was probably just messing with you.

18. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

No. No Jets gear or hat. Nothing to let them know I was a Jets fan. It was their conversation.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

johnnyd and johnnysd in the same thread???? :eek:hmy:

20. realdealramsey

realdealramsey New Member

If you got another team chomping to move up, maybe. Sort of like the year the skins wanted Champ and traded down a couple of spots. They got another great pick in the next draft out of it. Some teams will do anything as long as it affects next year's pick. That being said, I still would hate to pass on D'Brick.