UDFAs and team building

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by chandler, Jan 20, 2020.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i know there are other threads focused on JD and the draft and FA

Can't help but notice UDFA guys like Mostert, Firkser all had Jet's jerseys at one point, and even if we didn't initially sign them as UDFAs we had them in the building and could lay eyes on them. Apparently what we saw we didn't think was worth keeping; record shows those guys are getting the last laugh though

As far as "ones who didn't get away," we've had Robbie and Kyle Phillips (and been smart enough to keep them) and of course others in yesteryear, e.g., Brandon Moore

I'm just hoping and praying JD installs enough of an institution to find talent up and down the draft, as well as UDFAs, waivers, situational trades, etc.

We tend to get hypnotized by those high draft picks, but most of the good teams have gotten contributions (even if not stardom) for a variety of sources

2. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

You are 100% correct and here is a recent example. The Giants selected Darius Slayton in the 5th round and he sure looks like a number 1 receiver to me. He was not a starter the entire year but as a rookie he caught 48 passes for 740 yards and 8 touchdowns. He had another 189 return yards. The Jets could have had him but instead took Polite in the 3rd, Wesco in the 4th and Cashman in the 5th. It was obvious the Jets had a need at receiver and Darnold needed talent in the skill positions. The Jets passed on an incredibly productive player at a position of need. When have the Jets gotten almost 1000 all purpose yards from a 5th round draft pick. Wouldn't you like to go into 2020 with a second year wide out who caught 50 passes for 740 yards? The Jets have a young QB, they needed a receiver, yet they completely passed on what looks to be a very good one.

When the Jets signed Bell they mentioned he had been a second round pick. I looked at some other Steeler second rounders as well as other teams and couldn't believe the impact players selected in round two and how the Jets had missed out on all of them. This comes down to scouting and the Jets had been dreadful.

BomberJet, boozer32, dmw and 4 others like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There certainly are and there's no reason this could not have been put in one of them. Not exactly breaking new ground here.

TwoHeadedMonster and Jets69 like this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Gonna address Mostert because it’s gonna be an annoying take that the Jets had him once and now he’s thriving on another team, so it’s “shame on the Jets.”

for one, 6 teams cut him.
    2- he was a jet for literally a week.
    3- he is and was known as a special teams ace, with speed to burn but not built to be an every down back.
    4- he was a niner for about 3 years and finally got his shot this year after a myriad of injuries to the Niners backfield. Dude just kept plugging away and made it, solely off his ST work as a returner and is now thriving in a one cut and Go scheme that Kyle loves his RB’s to be.

IIMeanDeanII, NCJetsfan, Noam and 4 others like this.
  5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

did we really have mosetert on our roster?......shit had no idea.

same old jets!

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Seriously. There are a lot of stories like Mostert's. Wes Welker never even made the roster in San Diego, and the Dolphins let him walk. The Ravens cut Jeff Saturday before he played a game. The Cowboys signed Brian Waters and he was cut and was a fixation in the Pro Bowl for the Chiefs.

But I think the OP points to making sure that when we find UDFA's that succeed off the scrap heap, we should try to keep them in the system and we routinely don't.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think the biggest thing about Mostert is that he found was a special teams ace. The Jets haven't valued that group in like a decade so its no wonder he was cut here, ended up on a team that does and now making the most of that opportunity

good for him.

8. BrowningNagle

Welker was some 'insider trading.'

Saban and Belichick are close friends. Like Satan & Lucifer. Saban quit on the Miami Dolphins and when he did, he told Belichick to trade for their overlooked best player, Wes Welker, that he could get him on a bargain.

Welker had 1 NFL touchdown in his life at that point. New England trades a 2nd round pick and gives him an $18 million contract extension, quite high for the time, right after Saban quit on the Dolphins. shady as fuck.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Just to make a case for Robby, accepting that he is not a #1 and not the real go to guy - for being an un-drafted FA and racking up nearly 800 yds without Sam for 3 games, it's not too shabby - and not having many weapons around him with Henrdon and Enunwa beig out - would hate to see him leave but I think teams are going to go after him considering these points.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd like to know how often our UDFA's become contributing players compared to the rest of the league.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

I feel like we've had pretty decent success with them, honestly. Brandon Moore, James Ihedigbo, Jeff Cumberland, Mike DeVito, Leger Douzable, Damon Harrison were all UDFA. Ihedigbo, Cumberland and Douzable are obviously not great players but they were contributors.

12. BrowningNagle

nah, we're poor with that man. Seattle won 11 games this year and advanced to the divisional round of the post season. They started 10 UDFA's at some point along the way, not counting kicker. That's just this season. They are the best in the game at it by far. I think I saw an analysis once a couple years ago that had our Jets near the bottom

13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

chandler and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Having udfa's pan out is as much about coaching as it is scouting imo

Shit coaching spoils an organization in more ways than just the games.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15. Jonathan_Vilma

You might be right. The report below seems to confirm that.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Half the teams in the damn league had him on the roster it seems. Maybe he just finally found a place where they coached him.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

He finally ended up in the patented Shanahan family "one-cut-and-go" run scheme.

Remember back when every Denver RB looked unstoppable, so they would trade them away for a big haul, then replace them with a late round pick? Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Ruben Droughns, Tatum Bell, Selvin Young, , etc? That system. Davis never played anywhere else, and Portis was good enough to be successful wherever he went-- all the rest of them played elsewhere and were garbage, but they were stars with the Broncos. I think all or at least most of them had at least one 1,000 yard season.

18. NFLDayspast

Terrell Davis was pretty talented-.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

He was certainly fun to watch. Davis stood out because he was excellent at angling his body so he didn't take a lot of direct hits--go back and watch some highlights, he just slides off of tackle attempts.
    Remember, he was Garrison Hearst's backup at Georgia, and was drafted in the 6th round as a special teams ace, rather than a running back.

20. NFLDayspast

Personally I think he and Curtis Martin (3rd) round changed the game. Prior to them running backs were often taken in the first round. The first pick in the Kyle Brady draft was KiJana Carter. The running back was a high value position in the 1990s.