U.S. drops "mother of all bombs" in Afghanistan in first use of weapon

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by mute, Apr 13, 2017.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The bomb is officially called a GBU-43 or Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB), leading to its nickname as the “mother of all bombs.” It is the largest non-nuclear bomb in the U.S. arsenal and has never before been used in combat.

“The strike was designed to minimize the risk to Afghan and U.S. Forces conducting clearing operations in the area while maximizing the destruction of ISIS-K fighters and facilities,” the Pentagon said in a statement, using the term for the Islamic State’s Afghanistan branch.

The military also said the U.S. “took every precaution to avoid civilian casualties with this strike.”

The Afghanistan strike had been in the works for a number of months, Martin reports. The weapon was brought into Afghanistan specifically for this mission.

General John Nicholson, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, was required to get permission to use the weapon, but it’s unclear how far up the chain of command his request traveled.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-drops-mother-of-all-bombs-in-afghanistan-marking-weapons-first-use/

2. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

we can olny hope that those isis assholes were right in the direct way of this thing. if they were, they got off easy in my opinion, i think they deserve the eaxact same treatment and courtesy they bestow upon their victims.,

Brook!, JetsVilma28 and mute like this.
  3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Edit

#3 mute, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

How did they get footage if the blast radius is 1 mile? Wouldn't they be toast?

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same. This might not be the footage but it is the only one I can find on youtube that was recently uploaded and kinda matches the description of the blast.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Those guys did not sound like Afghans and I don't think they have that many high rises in Afghanistan. Besides they dropped it on a cave and tunnel system, not in a city.

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Well shit where is this from then lol? I'll delete it and wait for an official video from US.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

8. The Waterboy

Still a cool explosion, tried figuring out what that one was but searching for huge explosions is a big list.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That splosion was not cost effective.

JetsVilma28 and Ralebird like this.
  10. The Waterboy

I blame Trump

abyzmul and JetsVilma28 like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Something tells me that ISIS is not hiding in plain site of countries that have a history of having a foreign military presence such as ourselves.

I'd imagine they're being hidden by countries like Saudi Arabia and those that try to claim to be our friends.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Great Optics! Hopefully it didn't cost $60mil..

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nah, only $16M.

14. abyzmul

Since you're so concerned about military action costs, how much money did we spend when Bill Clinton launched volleys of cruise missiles into Baghdad every time the press started taking about Monica Lewinsky?

15. Cman68

Well lets see Byz... Each cruise missile even back then were between $1.5mil and $2mil apiece in 1998 so in Clinton's days when there were relatively new, I'd go with the higher number. Clinton launched 79 tomahawks so yeah, Trump still has some catching up to do. I'm sure he'll find a reason to launch 21 more just so he can be remembered as the POTUS who launched the most cruise missiles. Back in the Clinton era, we weren't $1trillion in the hole either. We had the cash to literally burn and we did.

Taken from that article:
    Like I said... Trump has his work cut out for him if he's gonna be the #1 bombing POTUS of all time and I'm sure DJT will do his best.. If we're lucky, he won't beat out Truman or Johnson God willing.

abyzmul likes this.
  16. Cman68

Since Tomahawks are Trump's favorite toys besides his golf clubs, here's some more background..

http://baghdadreport.net/data/CAQ.htm

17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Afghan officials said 36 ISIS militants were killed by the US MOAB, which struck the Nangarhar province on Thursday.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  18. Cman68

Now thats's an ROI of roughly.....(quick..somebody do the math...)

19. abyzmul

I think we both know he will. He's a diplomatic nightmare and there's only so many fires his mouth will light that'll be able to be extinguished.

He's the perfect cartoon of a president for these times, where most prominent world dictators are as stereotypical as it gets.

I'd say you can't make this up, but it's actually straight from the minds of the least imaginative writers in Hollywood.

Interesting though that government overspending on military is such a concern now when it's basically become a running joke for the past 30 years?

#19 abyzmul, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  20. Cman68

Don't complain. The country finally got religion on the deficit after 30 years of spend first and fudge the budget.