Typical off-season expansion talk

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by vinsjets, Feb 9, 2010.

1. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

A few weeks ago we had the Big 10 talks, Pitt to the Big 10 this summer perhaps.

Now the Pac-10 is talking about it again.
    From USA Today:
    And From an ESPN Blog:

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We've been hearing about this for years, but I really wouldn't be surprised if we see everything out west restructured.

I think we'll see Utah and Boise State move into the PAC-10, making it a 12 team conference. If the Utes leave the Mountain West, Fresno will probably take their spot.

Also, Louisiana Tech needs to get the hell out of the WAC.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this needs to happen.the big 6 should all have championship games.thats just another inequity in the college game.

4. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Colorado to the Pac-10 by 2012? Seems likely.

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-college-sports/ci_14415579#axzz0fo57mg0M

The PAC-10 has gone on record saying they would evaluate expansion over the course of the next year. I think it's very logical it would happen this summer, if they were going to do it. The PAC-10 appears to be the conference that might make the first move, which will likely speed up the Big 10 as well.

The way I see it, If the Pac-10 expands, 4 of the 6 conferences would have a Championship game. The Big 10 would make their move making it 5 of 6 with a CG. The Big East will need to push for expansion as well... Hello ECU, Memphis, UCF?

With everyone being rumored to a 12 team conference, the Big EAST would have virtually no choice but to expand IMO. Depending on what the Big 10 would do, The Big EAST could be left with just 7 football members. Expansion would be the only way to keep their AQ status.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I know Utah is a goner shoud the Pac 10 expand but I have doubts that Boise will be the team that goes with them. They do not have a baseball team so right there that gives them a major disadvantage.

Things will play out very differently within the MWC should we lose both Utah and BYU although ultimately I think should that happen we will need to add 6 teams to go 12. My guess is that those 5 teams would be Fresno, Nevada, Boise, Hawaii, and Houston. While losing Utah would suck (Fuck BYU) I don't think it would kill the MWC like it could the WAC or CUSA. Honestly the MWC has tyhe potential to get stronger even by losing their best football program.

That would make the MWC look like this

West

Boise State
    Hawaii
    Fresno
    Nevada
    UNLV
    SDSU

East

New Mexico
    Air Force
    Colorado State
    Wyoming
    Houston
    TCU

#5 Barry the Baptist, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm not sure these teams would want Hawaii in the MWC. Travel costs are a bitch. If things are shaken up, the Rainbows will probably stay in the WAC.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't think the WAC would still be in place. They'd lose Nevada, Boise, Fresno. That leaves LaTech, Hawaii, Utah State, Idaho, NM State and SJSU. None of those schools outside of Hawaii have much football history. You could probably throw out LaTech because of proximity.

Why would they want Utah State or Idaho who don't bring anything to the table other then USU having a good basketball program. Even recruiting wise there is nothing there.

New Mexico would make a strong push for the Aggies but they likely wouldn't have the support of the others in the conference.

SJSU has a pretty dismal football and basketball team so I can't see anybody really making a push for them.