Two Anthems

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Unhappyjetsfan, Jul 2, 2020.

1. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

OK fine, totally understandable as a wartime morale builder. But, like, enough already!

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't care if it was written by a red-headed black Chinese transgendered lesbian midget from Mars ... it's the song the country selected as its national anthem and it's been there for almost 100 years.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Do you have a fucking clue what the national anthem is about? Who it's written by, what he stood for. Do you know the lyrics, exactly who the " free" referenced were?
    Your fucking mindset is the problem. Your either to sense to understand a poem celebrating slavery turned to a song, is not deserving to be the national Anthem. Your suggesting that it's for all people is just fucking ignorant. A group who were enslaved should stand and respect a song about their oppression. Get the fuck out of here.

4. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

A country steeped in racism and built upon the slave labor thereof.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

It's not the song the country selected, it's the song racist white oppressors selected.

6. Unhappyjetsfan

Yes.

Yes.

Sure.

Yes, I know. You're very frustrated that everyone does not hate the country as much as you do. Boo hoo.

7. TonyFtLaud

I love my country, that's why I served. That's why I fought for the rights of every american, to have the freedoms they have. Even for ignorant fucks who think slavery should be celebrated.

Ralebird, K'OB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. Unhappyjetsfan

It doesn't sound like it.

9. KurtTheJetsFan

KurtTheJetsFan Well-Known Member

George Thorogood’s “One bourbon,one scotch,one beer” hands over hearts..one nation together as one.

Acad23 likes this.
  10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ +1....what's the big deal? . Sometimes you hear "America the Beautiful" (a nicer tune imho) instead of the Stars Spangled Banner and no one flips out. . For those who negatively see it as a divisive thing, go get a beer........me I'll stay and give it a listen.

Ralebird and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  11. BroadwaySam

BroadwaySam Well-Known Member

They very much exist. You just blew about three of them.

K'OB likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

It was the best of songs, it was the worst of songs..

speaking of worst of songs:

#53 joe, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The market will decide whether this is a good idea or a bad idea.

15. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm confused by this comparison. Will only certain people be allowed in the stadium during their anthems while others are excluded from participating?

16. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The NFL started playing the national anthem before games as a patriotic gesture during World War II. When the war ended, NFL commissioner Elmer Layden (one of the famed Four Horsemen of Notre Dame) said, “The national anthem should be as much a part of every game as the kick-off, We must not drop it simply because the war is over. We should never forget what it stands for.”

That's why the league continued playing the anthem before games. Since then, the NFL has gone out of its way to associate football with patriotism. "If you're a patriot, you love football, and if you don't like football...." Thus, the national anthem, military color guards, and Air Force flyovers., etc. For years, that was an effective marketing ploy, but it's starting to backfire now.

I fail to see the need for the national anthem to be played before NFL or MLB games. It's a song with words no one can remember and a tune no one can sing. It celebrates an obscure war and an even more obscure battle. It became the national anthem only because a little-known congressman from Maryland essentially devoted his entire political career to making this song the national anthem.

#56 Since1969, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    NYJetsO12 and sozopol like this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! 2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys

I sense a bullying for unhappyjetsfan. Stop it. He has a right to express his opinion and beliefs. Let's be respectful shall we?

That said,

Fuck the national unity and fuck the concept of singing national anthem before football games. This isn't Hitler's Germany. Leave the nationalistic rituals away from sports.

NYJetsO12 and egelband like this.
  18. Unhappyjetsfan

All three are segregation. One of them might be self-segregation, but it's still segregation.

19. Unhappyjetsfan

It's fine. They are incapable of making me feel bullied.

Nationalistic rituals serve an important purpose. They foster a sense of national unity and reinforce (particularly among young people and children) how lucky they are to live in the United States. They've been going on this country for over 200 years. The July 4th holiday is a nationalistic ritual. July 4th fireworks are a nationalistic ritual that has been going on since the first celebration of the holiday (July 4, 1777). We've had 4th of July parades since the 1780s. The Pledge of Allegiance has existed since the late 1800s. The national anthem has been played at sporting events since 1918. Nobody is forcing anybody to participate.

20. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

That was during the 1918 World Series, which occurred during World War I. The date was September 5, 1918, and Babe Ruth, pitching for the Red Sox, threw a six-hit shutout to beat the Cubs 1-0. The national anthem did not become a permanent fixture at professional sporting events until World War II.