Two Anthems

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Unhappyjetsfan, Jul 2, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

My request of every player and coach dancing to Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" after the 3rd Quarter was denied by the NFL. I thought it was a great way to bring everyone together. I may boycott!

2. BroadwaySam

BroadwaySam Well-Known Member

Honestly I hope there are no fans at any opening week games now. People are too fucking stupid to NOT boo when the second anthem plays and it's going to cause massive issues. The only people calling it divisive are the ones that want it to be, and those are the ones that will cause the issues.

3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed, imagine how hard it will be if you accidentally park in the whites-only parking lot and can't find the blacks-only entrance to the stadium.

4. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

They should play Africa from Toto.

jets69 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. BroadwaySam

Point proven.

K'OB and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I love that idea. Standing for any anthem is forced speech that no one should feel compelled to make. I have refused to stand for the Anthem at sporting events since the early 80s. I used the get the dirtiest looks from people in the 80s.

TouchyFeely likes this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No, there are not enough people who share your views for that to ever happen again.

K'OB likes this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

O Canada, glorious and free, we stand on guard we stand on guard for thee . . . .

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. Unhappyjetsfan

Uncalled for.

10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

The anthem thing is interesting. I'm not sure why it's played before a run of the mill league game (I would understand for the Superbowl, like the FA Cup and League Cup finals).

That being said, when I am at the London games, I stand in silence for both anthems - I will be respectful. (The British anthem is a difficult one for me as I don't think we should have a monarchy, and I don't believe God exists - so I'd be asking a being I don't believe in to save an institution I don't think we should have).

K'OB and Brook! like this.
  11. HerndonFan

HerndonFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Not at all. Your suggesting segregation and worse, all Americans should respect your beliefs, and respect a song celebrating slavery. Even those whose families were enslaved. Those who are still murdered and oppressed.
    Uncalled for? Hardly !

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Kneeling during the National Anthem is divisive. Playing the "black" national anthem is divisive. The Nation Anthem is a unifying song. It's called the "National" anthem for a reason. We're all part of the same nation, the USA. The American left hates this nation and wants to destroy it. They've succeeded in teaching many Americans that America is evil and racist and the National Anthem is racist or something. The left is divisive by design. When those of us not on the left resist their hate and division, we're called divisive. See how that works? I'm sure many of you don't see it and see me as the divisive and hateful one. Oh well. I tried.

Unhappyjetsfan likes this.
  14. BroadwaySam

How many dog whistles could you possibly blow? Man this was impressive.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Unhappyjetsfan

I'm suggesting segregation is bad moron; maybe you should re-read it. I'm saying that those deciding that black Americans should (or need) to have their own national anthem are segregating the black american population from the remainder of the american population. America already has a national anthem; all of America (white, black, hispanic, asian and on and on). If it is black NFL players suggesting they need their "own" national anthem, then I'm saying they are exact antithesis of what MLK was working for and towards. This is an off-shoot of black liberation theology (it's more like black liberation sociology) - it's anti-American.

#35 Unhappyjetsfan, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    dmw likes this.
  16. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I never understood why the national anthem is played before sporting events. Total non-sequitur. Is it done in any other country? It's an unnecessary waste of time, just stop doing it, problem solved. Jesus.

K'OB and Brook! like this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Dog whistles that you were to taught exist but don't actually exist.

18. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

You realize the national anthem was written by a slave-owning lawyer who prosecuted slavery law to his damndest, right? A racist, slave owning man wrote a poem who’s lines read “land of the free”. The anthem is is steeped in racism and anyone who educates themselves on the history of this country shouldn’t really stand for it. Unless you agree with the institutionalized racism it was born from.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. Unhappyjetsfan

It was first played at baseball games during WW1 as a show of national unity and respect for the troops.

20. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Could there be a worse off season? I mean Adams acting like a 11 yr old, corona hysteria, and crying about the national anthem is beyond tiring.

rickjet likes this.