Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

thought someone else would have made this. Anyway, no pads today.
    Per cimini no qb stood out. Mccown threw a pick on a bad throw into coverage. Hack no turnovers missed a couple he should make.
    Didn't see any other reporters tweeting much.
    Qvale and shell split at rt
    Claiborne made the pick on mccown
    Petty threw a pick 6 on a deflected pass,sounded like it was off the mark.
    Padded practice begins monday

2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I was wondering where this thread was as well.

I don't disillusion myself into believing this is going to be a good team but there's still a LOT to be excited about this season as far as looking forward goes. There's a lot of talent on this team albeit young and mostly inexperienced watching the talent rise to the surface will be fun.

You know... I mean I say that I don't expect this to be a good team this year but there is a realistic shot based off of two unknowns.
    A) How good the O-line is this year
    B) How well Hack can actually play

Very possible wide range of outcomes on either. If both are good, the team is good.

3. FJF

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

KRL is giving some terrific accounts of camp if anyone is interested. First day but a couple of things are really encouraging regarding our QB

DarrelleRevis.Human? likes this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

tough to get a read on things this early

Maybe the offense is really this putrid?

Or maybe the defense really is this good. Again, tough to evaluate even the QB's when they have so many drops and poor protection to deal with.

I have a feeling our D will be good this year though. Maybe even top 10

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

As training camp begins, I'm hoping for the following this season:
    A team that, even if we don't win many games, plays with intensity.
    Our youngsters show considerable improvement, and a few look like budding Pro Bowlers.
    Our defense is top ten in the league.
    Our new OC's offense is an upgrade, our young wideouts show progress, and Hack looks like a solid QB.
    That Woody Johnson acknowledges that a seventy year old man still using the name of a Toy Story character is absurd, and insists going forward on being called The Rock Johnson. This changes the entire culture of the franchise.

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It's the same thing every year. The offense does bad, or at least not as good as the defense in team ota, practice, and training camp.

And every year the offense is putrid, and the defense is above average.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Last years defense, mostly the secondary, was as putrid as the offense, if not more. The whole d was well below average particularly in 3 and out......as in way, way below average. Putrid offense, porous defense, rancid coaching. 2016 was a Year to forget and purge the roster. Nothing more.

10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I try to forget last year. :)

K'OB likes this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It really can't get worse then last year on defense. At least if the Jets struggle this year it will be with youth and speed and error. Last year it was old and slow and error...Yuck.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If all that happens, Hack better be a solid QB because we'll go somewhere from 6-10 to 9-7 and we won't get a top pick. Except the Woody thing. I recommend he try Jacques le Coq Johnson.

Will-I-Am-Not and JetLifeLo like this.
  13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

From KRL on today's practice:

General Notes

- Final day for the players in shells & shorts

- Practice ran 2.5 hours

- Another drop in the number of media members in attendance

- Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen practiced but again were held out of team periods.
    In addition I didn't see Morris Claiborne at all today. Hopefully it wasn't injury
    related

- There's a ton of mixing and matching going on right now so it's impossible to
    determine #1's. Today Jordan Jenkins & Dylan Donahue got OLB reps with the "#1's"

- The defense started to unveil some of their blitz packages. The disguise and timing
    of the blitzes was excellent

- Still trying to get a feel for John Morton (OC) and the type of offense he'll be
    running. At this point it seems he's installing the short & intermediate portions
    of the passing game. There hasn't been a ton of vertical shots down the field. So
    far it feels like a "West Coast" offense focused on getting the ball out quickly. One
    thing for sure is the TE position will get a ton of targets

Player Notes

- Austin Seferian-Jenkins had another good day and is starting to "stack" practices.
    In addition Jordan Leggett had some "splashy" plays with a sweet one handed grab in the
    red zone from Josh McCown during 7 on 7. Also Leggett had a 30+ yard TD on a catch from
    Bryce Petty (blown coverage)

- In general all the TE's deserve to be mentioned because they are catching everything
    thrown to them and are opening up the middle of the field. So props to Eric Tomlinson,
    Jason Vander Laan, Brian Parker and Chris Gragg. Not "sexy" names but they're doing the
    job so far

- Leonard Williams was a beast today and took advantage of the blitz packages by getting
    at least two "sacks"

- Connor Harris (ILB) didn't make any "splashy" plays but was getting a ton of "love" from
    his coaches & teammates. So I'm assuming he was doing excellent work handling his
    assignments during his reps

- The WR group did a better job getting off press coverage today, but was that because
    Claiborne didn't play? We'll find out

- Dennard Wilson (DB coach) is really coaching up Derrick Jones (the converted college WR).
    Staying on him about all the details that go into the CB position

QB's

- Better days for Josh McCown & Bryce Petty, they were efficient and unlike on Saturday they
    didn't turn the ball over

- Christian Hackenberg had another solid practice. His mechanics stayed consistent therefore
    his throws were consistent. His best throw was a 25+ yard seam pass to Leggett over Donahue's
    head in tight coverage. Unfortunately for Hackenberg, Donahue stripped the ball out as they
    went to the ground. During team periods Morton had to instruct him to tuck & run instead of
    trying to create something out of nothing

Standouts

- Leonard Williams
    - TE group
    - Blitz packages

Concerns

- Can the young WR's get off press coverage when Claiborne returns
    - When will we see the vertical element in the offense

#14 Walt White, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Anyone going tomorrow? I'm driving up from VA as usual, haven't missed a camp since my 8 year old was born.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

here we go again. Square peg, round hole. If you truly want to develop Hackenberg you don't put him in an offense he will fail in. Just another young genius offensive coordinator who puts his shitty "system" above personnel.

Young QB that's weak in the short game? TEs that don't even belong in the NFL? Hey- let's run a quick strike short passing game that features the TEs!!!:confused:

at least Morton will have some tape of his "system" on his resume next fall.... SMH

#16 BrowningNagle, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    JetLifeLo and Jets69 like this.
  16. FJF

a little quick with this bn. 2 days into camp. shells only. maybe they felt this was the best days to run just short stuff so the lines aren't really going at each other sans pads. just a theory.

hack has been described as solid pretty much every practice since ota"s minus the fastball to cimini's dome (i know thats not how it really went down but if they can embellish it so can i, with a happier ending)

TonyFtLaud, xxedge72x, K'OB and 7 others like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

we'll see. I hope you are right but we've seen this all too many times before.

18. FJF

the fear is definitely not unfounded.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Broooo same thing I was thinking when I read that. Feels like its going to be Geno getting forced into a style he never was known for playing.. Why do we keep drafting QB's that have cannon arms just to make them throw in tight 5 yard windows... pick city coming.

Hopefully he's just only instilling this part now and will get to the good stuff as camps progresses.