Trade UP for Lawrence

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He’s the best prospect since Luck and has the IT factor. People want to give all these picks away for Watson when we could swap picks with the Jags and get a better version of Watson. His pro day was unbelievable today and his body of work at Clemson is outstanding. He has prototypical size, speed, arm strength, pocket awareness, football IQ and most of all he’s a winner!

Meyer also said before that he views Lawrence and Fields as very close so he can grab Fields at #2 and bank a few more picks. I’d rather give #2 + #23 + #34 to move up and have a generational QB for the next 15 years.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem is Jacksonville is going to be very reluctant to trade Lawrence (huge career risk for their GM), whereas Houston could be forced into trading Watson. So we could end up having to give up as much if not more for Lawrence regardless of what their trade values should be.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's also throwing on air with no defense. Blake Bortles looked incredible at his pro day.

I like Lawrence. I think he will succeed and he is good of a prospect as he's being hyped as. But it'd be a bad football move to give up three-four premium picks to move up to get him.

westiedog1, Br4d and mrjet80 like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Would be career suicide for the Jags GM. Their owner knows that Lawrence=fans also. There's no chance of it happening aside from us offering 7 first rounders or something crazy, which would never happen either.

Hard to overstate how much we screwed up by beating the Rams and Browns.

Rockinz and Noam like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I thought about this too...why not just trade up for TL?

But either way, Trevor or Watson, we'd be giving up a hell of a lot. We'd probably have more success with Watson (plus a weak team in rebuild) than with Trevor. Watson's been there, done that (weak team) and survived for four years with really good #s. Trevor would probably wonder 'what the fuck just happened???'.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

7. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

It would be insane for them to trade off of #1. That's why Greg Williams was almost a hero and why Adam Gase didn't get fired mid season. We were so close.

Noam, JetsKickAss and REVISion like this.
  8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Right after I buy TSLA stock at $100/share. Or GME back at $5. :D

9. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

And what makes you think that the Jacksonville folks don't feel the same way ? :D

10. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

Trevor Lawrence is not a better version of Deshaun Watson. Watson is, in his own right (highest completion percentage of any QB EVER, 2nd highest passer rating of any QB EVER, all behind a terrible o-line), a generational QB and Trevor Lawrence has never taken a single snap in the NFL.

Wah, Snatch Catch and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Too late--the Jets ownership had their chance to do what Kahn did and ensure they had the pick. They tried to get cute and ended up screwing themselves out of a a surefire QB, whose floor is Matt Ryan.

The Jags are not losing out on a 15 year starter at QB--he's also durable and has no character flaws.

We are going to have to most likely do this the hard way and have to really just build out the rest of the team and try to win with a passable QB. i.e. a Dilfer or Foles type

It's questionable whether Sam can even be on that level right now--

Leicester Jet, Noam and REVISion like this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Jets are at his pro day right now....

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Trade up? How about just lose to the Rams and Browns? Pretty simple, but the dope Jets led by Adam Gase and Frank Gore PLAY TO WIN apparently. I didn't realize that watching the first 13 games.

So pathetic. I was thinking how excited I would have been for his Pro Day today and instead: 0 interest. Complete waste of time unless you are a Jags fan.

14. REVISion

I will never ever forget Gore celebrating like he just won the lotto when he sealed the Rams win. I was utterly disgusted. Thanks for potentially torpedoing us for years, Frank. Glad you got your longevity-based record.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It isn't Gase or Gore's fault, they both knew they wouldn't be Jets after the season, so why would they care about Lawrence? The blame lies with ownership and Douglas for not firing Gase and putting a team on the field that would lose out. If the Jaguars could bench Minshew for Glennon, the Jets could have started Morgan and kept Becton out for health reasons. The Hail Mary by Oakland was a gift from the football gods and a warning that losing out wasn't guaranteed, but as usual, ownership and the front office were clueless.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a fair point. Those 2 are singled out because Gore said he refused to go (0-16) and kept rallying the team, and then Gase because he said their job "is to win" when asked about fans being upset the Jets won, which was the worst comment i've ever heard a Head Coach make. Just embarrassing.

You are right though, we discussed it a lot here, that the Jets needed to find a way to lose. No one thought the Rams would be an issue though.

Noam likes this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Khan is the one making personnel calls.

18. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The only chance we'd have at TL is if Urban decides that he wants his guy from OSU and defies logic by insisting on drafting Fields first. Not going to happen, so we're not getting Lawrence.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hey, 'you play to win the game' as a wise man once stated before somehow rallying his team from 1-4 and then 2-6 to a 9-7 divisional championship and a blowout win against Peyton Manning in the wild card game.

Any coach that is not saying that needs to be fired on the spot.

westiedog1, The Dark Knight and Noam like this.
  20. REVISion

I think it was apparent about halfway into the season that Gase wouldn't be retained, but of course the Johnson's chose their "never fire a coach in the middle of the season" MO over pragmatism.