Trade back less likely

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Apr 8, 2019.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Few things with starting this thread. Everything for the next few weeks are smokescreens so what to believe and not is interesting. That being said things I am hearing it looks more likely we will stay at three unless we take a devalued trade offer to move back.

1. Haskins is dropping a little and it does not look like someone will trade up for him. It looks like he will be picked after the tenth pick.

2. Washington is the favorite to land Rosen. So no big deal there. Looks like the Giants will wait on the qb at 6, 17, second round or next year.

3. Oakland and Tampa like Devin White. I heard they might look to trade up for him. If so that'd be great for the Jets. To drop a spot or two maybe we get a second. Definitely another third we can use or trade up to the second.

4. If Williams or Bosa are there maybe someone trades up for them.

5. Worse case we take Allen, Williams or Bosa at 3 (my order too of who I like).

I am really hoping we can trade. With only 6 picks and holes at edge rusher, center and cb we need more 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. If we stayed in the top 10 we could still get an edge rusher like Sweat, Burns, Gary, Oliver (though a DT) etc. With the added pick we could definitely get a center like McCoy or Jenkins and then get a CB, OT and skill players with everything else.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks and would prefer.

twown likes this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I love what you want us to do. The problem is both the Cardinals and SF may very well want to trade out also. Q is a good fit on the Cardinals D but I'm not sure they wouldn't trade that pick if someone else is in love with KM.

FJF likes this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I have wanted a trade back all off-season. I do think that McCagnan genuinely wants someone to want the 3rd pick, but it seems unlikely that it happens.

I think that the Jets will be "stuck" at 3 and will draft Josh Allen, Nick Bosa, or Quinnen Williams. The only scenario I see the Jets being able to get out of the 3rd overall pick is if Kyler slips to us.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO after pick #3, Burns would be the only option for us at Edge Rusher. Sweat is more of a 4-3 DE. He might be able to adjust, but he has a heart issue and would be risky. Rashan Gary is a bust waiting to happen. I wouldn't take him with my 4th round pick. Oliver is similar to Q. Williams, and not really an option.

mrjet80 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think there will be much interest from team trying to get a QB with Denver being the only even slight possibility I see.

I do however think there is a chance that some team would want to move up for a Bosa, Q, Allen or White.

Personally I’d take less value to move down in this draft as I do believe getting a 2nd rounder in this draft is critical.

We are in a good spot though, if the worst outcome is drafting Josh Allen I’m feeling pretty good.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Getting a blue chip Edge prospect at 3 wouldn't be the worst outcome if a trade down doesn't occur. It's been a massive need for almost a decade and a half. We'd have 2 of the most important positions filled on the cheap for the next few years.

7. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I say don’t trade down in first. get the edge we been missing. If need be trade up into the 2nd for a better prospect with the 2 3rd rd picks we got. Or trade a 3rd and darron lee to move in 2nd if we see some one drop.

Sam Hammer and FJF like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Once a team has its QB in the bag, trading down from a high draft pick is always better (especially if you don't have a 2nd).

By trading down we can get 3 excellent players/starters for day 1. And any one of them may step up and become a pro bowler.

By staying put, we only get 1 player and if he busts then we're set back 5 years, waiting for our next top pick. And even if he's OK, his impact won't be as great as the 3 players we didn't draft.

It's the old adage: "I would rather invest 1% in 100 merchant ships than invest 100% in a single ship".

Hurricanes happen.

Busts happen.

twown, mrjet80 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

And if we misjudge our trade back players and they all perform to the level of our 'successful' second round drafts over the years ......?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mr mittens likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

at this point i'm all for staying at 3. i think there is a drop off after about 5 or so in talent at our needs. i won't want williams. i'm happy with allen or bosa at 3. Only way i'd consider a trade down is if allen and bosa went 1 and 2 and a team wants to give us a huge haul to land murray or williams. I think staying at 3 and getting allen or bosa is our bets bet, but if they went 1 and 2, i'd happily slide back a few picks to where we can still get a good edge rusher and an extra early pick or 2

Sam Hammer likes this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

My only hope is that the jets do not take DL Q. Williams, either at 3 or in a trade down. He is a great talent...but he would be wasted in a 3-4 defense, a scheme wherein defensive lineman are supposed to "block/occupy" OL so LBs can make the plays. Since the jets declared they are staying with a 3-4 defense (primarily), Q. Williams would just end up being another Leonard Williams, a great talent who is constantly double-teamed and never gets to make a lot of plays in a 3-4 defense. Draft talent to fit your scheme. Having said that, watch McCagnan draft DL Q, Williams as they stay with a 3-4 scheme. He already used three of their six picks last year on the DL (counting the trade).

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance, I have a "what if question" to all the draft savvy members here at TGG.
    Many if not most here, myself included, would be very happy with an elite pass rusher at three if we can't trade down. More precisely an outside speedy pass rusher, not an inside DL with great pass rushing abilities. But what if Bosa and Allen go one two ? You would think the stakes for a QB would go up but what if we can't trade down? Then what? It seems to me Quentin will be the pick and we will have a jam at the inside DL position. Is there another BPA at three with equal ranking or close that serves our needs better? How big of a drop is it for Jawaan Taylor? or Clelin Ferrel?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/trade-back-less-likely.92205/#post-3813387

twown likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes, and the Brain Trust should be prepared for just such a contingency and fired if they aren't..but like you said Mac will opt for Williams and do his explaining later

That said , personally I believe it's unlikely Kingsbury and the Cards pass up K Murray at one imo as he fits their scheme.... Rosens getting traded in near future

tomdeb and LAJet like this.
  15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

As of now I say stay put and take the EDGE guy whether it’s Bosa or Allen. The Jets have needed that outside EDGE guy for 13 years now . They finally got their franchise QB last year now get the franchise EDGE guy the very next year. This is how Championship teams are built .

That being said I certainly can understand why some prefer a trade down. As N.C. Jets has been saying Burns would be a good fit for the Jets even if at this point he is considered a slight downgrade to an Allen or a Bosa . The Jets sure could use another pick or two in the second/third round area this year - there is a lot of good talent available there at positions of need . And football god 214 brings up a good point - it can be dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket so to speak in regards to #3. Busts do happen and the Jets are more than one player away.

But I say go for it at number 3. I watched Josh Allen in the Citrus Bowl and came away extremely impressed with his skill set. I salivate at the thought of him in Gregg Williams defense - if he is who I think he is - he is the missing piece for this defense .

Sometimes to take the next step a franchise has to take that chance.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

More than collecting good players the jets need elite players. Elite players raise the play of the players around them. Adding an Allen or Bosa could give us an elite player in all 3 levels of the d and transform it into a monster defense. No other player I see in the draft has as much potential to raise the level of the team like that.

17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Imagine this defense next year with the outside pass rush ? Williams and Anderson up front. Allen , Mosley , Williamson, and Jenkins ( who’s play will be elevated with a better bookend ) makes an excellent LB Corp. Adams, Maye , and maybe an improved Johnson at CB? .......That’s a possible top 5 - 7 defense right there.

Leicester Jet, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Exactly. Coupled with an improving qb and an elite rb this team is a legit contender in 2020.

19. NCJetsfan

We only have 6 picks with no 2nd or 5th rounder. We absolutely cannot afford to trade up. That would leave us with only 4 picks. Trading up is one of the factors that caused our roster to be in such sorry shape to begin with. With those two third round picks we could take two very good players for depth and competition at two of these positions: OG, CB and WR. To squander them trading up for one player would be criminal. Darron Lee may not be great, but he's the best LB we have in coverage and he's cheap. Unless Gase and Greg Williams just don't like him, have no plans for him being part of the team in the future, and just want to get rid of him, I don't think we should trade him, either.

20. NCJetsfan

There's nothing to forgive. It's a good and valid question.

Brian Burns would probably be my first choice and pick. He almost certainly will go in the top 15, and could go in the top 10. He could wind up the best pass rusher in this class. I think he's even faster than Allen, and maybe a little more athletic, and is very good vs the run, but I don't think that he has the experience dropping back into coverage that Allen does.

Taylor would be my second choice, unless I had word that Shell wasn't healing well or my new OL coach wasn't high on Shell. most likely will go top 7. I'd "reach" for Burns or Taylor all day before I took Q. Williams.

Clelin Ferrell would definitely not be the pick. He's more of a 4-3 DE, and is rated mid-to-late 1st round.

LAJet likes this.