Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Updating this

(Just hte ones that seem like a decent fit that we have a need for. Left out all of the ridiculous ZOMG MARIO WILLIAMS X!X!X! kinda guys that are unrealistic)

Carl Nicks - G (prob too $$$)
    Jarret Johnson -OLB
    Steve Weatherford- P
    Jake Scott - G
    Cory Redding - DE
    Michael Bush - RB
    Brandon Lloyd - WR
    Anthony Spencer - OLB (depends on $$$)
    Joel Dreessen - TE
    Matt Roth - DE
    Martellus Bennett - TE (decent run blocker*)
    Ben Grubbs - G (prob too $$$)
    Demetrius Bell - T (one of few tackles available, albeit was a lt prob not viable)
    Cliff Avril - DE (prob too $$$)
    Laurent Robinson - WR (interesting)
    Michael Griffin - S
    Cedric Benson - hb (if cheap $$$)
    Anthony Collins - RT
    Jared Gaither - T
    Kevin Smith - HB (wanted him last year, doubt itll happen now)
    LaRon Landry - S
    Tyvon Branch- S
    Paul Soliai - DT
    Kendall Langford- DE
    Vernon Carey- G
    Dashon Goldson- S
    Kellen Davis - TE (big TE)

HBs available per Rotoworld (this leaves out the doubtul ones ie Rice/Forte)

Lynch, Hillis, M Bush, Benson, Tolbert, Kevin Smith, Green-Ellis, Forsett, Tim Hightower, Jason Snelling, Le'Ron McClain, Jacob Hester, Steve Slaton, Cadillac Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Ronnie Brown, Ryan Grant, Jackie Battle, Michael Robinson, Sammy Morris, Mewelde Moore, Maurice Morris, Tashard Choice, Jerome Felton, Derrick Ward, Thomas Jones, Spencer Larsen, Jerious Norwood, Chester Taylor.

And they predict alot of them to be pretty cheap

(ie Benson 1 yr 2million, forsett 2.5 million, k smith 2mill, tolbert 3mill, Hillis 5 mill)

Ones likely to get cut

M Turner, B Jacobs, Addai, Moreno, M Barber, G Jones, Brandon Jackson, Ovie Mughelli, Mike Sellers

#1 dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

I like most of your choices except Lloyd. He had like 1 good year and he's over 30 now.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

lloyds got great hands.

And with Sanchez throwing a ton of passes that are "just a little" off, I think Lloyds a very decent option if the price is right.

I wouldnt pay big $$$ to him, but for the lower end of a medium wr contract (3~ mill a year) its a decent alternative if the FO doesnt bite on Bray Bray

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pass on Kirk Morrison, we're set at ILB for now. All the others are intriguing options.

Our needs, in my opinion, are: WR2, RT, OLB, S. We're stuck with Sanchez but can hold hope that a new system and re-commitment to running game will produce.

B Thomas, Plax, LT, and Leonhard will probably not be back.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I would love this.

If possible (and I think Tannenbaum should be able to) Tannenbaum should try to haul in both of them.

I would have to reserve my thoughts on Sanchez until I see him in different system. Like I said, I'd like to see how Sanchez can improve with a prolific downfield threat before I see the end of him.

Guys in their 30's are not a good idea unless they are willing to take a huge pay cut. Pass on both.

Morrison and Harris... if Jets can have a powerful physical presence up front at NT, it should work. Sione Pouha is, with late surge and whatnot, not how you spell that powerful physical presence up front, however. Pouha or not however, Jets need huge upgrade in MLB speed outside Harris. I'd like this signing.

That said, I don't know about you, but if I were to pick one position to upgrade the defensive performance the most, I would still say Jets NT.

Zbikowski has Jimmy Leonhard written all over him. I'd say pass. Other than that, I would really like to see Tannenbaum snag at least one of them.

----------------------------------------------

Of course this means Jets should shed a lot of dead weight in the off season. Frankly, I would have to say that current Jets roster carries too much dead weight in form of situational players that can't contribute on all three downs. All of them should take serious pay cut. The likes of Mulligan or Hunter should be cut immediately, and I'd be in favor of slashing Holmes' salary too - if he is not too happy about it, he can look for a job somewhere else. (And good luck with that, with the attitude/integrity problem he has displayed with lack of production nonetheless.) Nacho should take huge paycut as well too - his freeloading days are coming to an end, and he hasn't earned his paycheck last year.

#5 Zach, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

really?pouha is a solid under-appreciated nt.he holds the point and clogs the middle just fine.nt is right behind cb as positions that don't need to be addressed

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You left out the position that most needs an upgrade - RT.

8. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

I think you can count on Rex going hard after Jarrett Johnson. It's a position of need for a still good player. Terrific, no non-sense leader. If McDaniels is the OC, ypu wiull likely see Loyd. The one thing I am sure of is the Jets will be very agressive in FA. The end of the season is a bitter pill for all.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Depending on what falls to us in the draft I would think we could find a starting RT in round one and a starting safety in round two. I would also gamble on another safety in day two of the draft.

I would also look for veteran players to upgrade both guard spots in free agency.

Brining Braylon back would be a smart move. Lloyd would be a great pickup but if Edwards is in the fold we could settle for a cheaper upgrade at WR2.

If we can't get more than a fourth rounder for Holmes, let him be WR4 until he can earn playing time by proving himself. Richie Anderson spent a long time in Parcells doghouse only to emerge as a pro bowler.

I am not sold on Shonn Greene but I don't think we have the cap room or draft picks to replace him until next year if we even need to.

LT has a great attitude but I would look for a replacement. If we looked around last year Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles could have been averaging 5-6+ yards per carry for us. Also, don't sleep on the young RBs we drafted in the last two years.

10. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Would we find a starting RT in the draft or would we be better off in FA with a more experienced player?

11. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I'd take Tanard in a heartbeat. I think the only problem we'd face is if Rex decides to make him captain.

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

What about Ray Rice?

13. neonleon

neonleon Member

i doubt the jets get rice, forte or any substantial rb through free agency.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I've been all for Mario williams.

Though the Torn pectoral is a significant injury. The Jets would have to monitor the Texans' interest to gauge his health.

15. neonleon

neonleon Member

the jets need to get someone who consistently bring pressure to the qb more than anything. even with his injury he is still going to get a huge contract and i find it hard to believe the jets will get him

16. fdcnyc

fdcnyc Active Member

Mario Williams is a beast entering his prime i doubt the Texans would let him walk. The only way i see him hitting the market is if his injury is really not healing

17. tubby

tubby Active Member

LT is a free agent. I think we really need to re-sign him. He played hard and very well yesterday.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

how bout Dwayne Bowe or D'sean Jackson we lack real speed on offense we need it we aren't scaring anybody with Holmes Buress and Kerley we are so predictable im all for Dwayne Bowe i dont know if i would like Dsean Jackson and Holmes around Sanchez theres no way we resign Buress

19. LongIslandBlitz

theres also a chance we bring Cotchery back hes a FA and EDwards i wouldnt mind that either

20. LongIslandBlitz

im telling ya right now we need to bring back LT we would regret it if we didnt, we can get him cheap , sign him to a year deal for 3million or so