Tom Rock pick Matt Ryan, why?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

His reasons are horrible. Makes no sense. Basically wasting the #6 overall pick.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The reason to draft Ryan is if he is highly rated on our board and they don't feel Clemens or Pennington are top NFL QB's. If they are being honest about a competition at QB it's reasonable to assume they don't like either Clemens or Chad or one would be the named starter.

If that's the case and they pick Ryan and Clemens happens to bloom than Rock is right we have a great situation with a big time bargaining chip. Looking around the league there are only a handful of quality QB's, if you have 2 that is gold.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don't see how selecting the best Qb in the draft is a wasted pick, especially considering that our QB position is probably the weakest area of our team right now and only the most important position as far as determining success.

5. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I want Mcfadden but if he's not there, Ryan would be a fine pick. At #6, wouldn't be a wasted pick at all. Could end up being a gem.

6. I wouldnt care for it..but depending on how the board falls..i'd understand it.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I want to draft someone at #6 who can contribute immediately. Ryan would not be that pick. If Clemens plays well, then we have trade bait?

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Totally agreed. If we trade Pennington away, which at this point, I doubt, than possibly - but, I still would rather we use our 2nd round pick in this case (only). Otherwise, we waste the #6 pick.

9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The QB class this year is not a "wow". I would rather use our #6 elsewhere in this case and try to do something in RD 2 for Flacco.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

So let me get this straight, We pick Ryan and give him #6 Money at Qb and then Pay Chad another 7Mil this year as well? We need Defensive players to get at the Qb, a Wr, 2nd Cb and O-line depth. If Dmac is there and the Front office thinks he is Ap Pt 2 then take him. If they are not sold then get a Qb in the 2nd round.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don't nessasarily disagree with this line of thinking but if the Jets do take Ryan at 6(I dont think they will) then they think he is a franchise Qb prospect and don't believe either Clemens or Pennington are. I just don't see how selecting a QB that the FO deems franchise caliber can be viewed as a wasted pick.

I personally think Ryan is the best QB in the draft and is a guy that if he does reach his peak potential will help this team more than any other player in the draft. Right now, McFadden would be my first choice and Ryan would be my second.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't think they will take Ryan but at least if they do it will stop the 10 trillion Pennington vs. Clemens nonsense threads around here because as Rock said, one of them will be gone.

13. SixteentoSeven

SixteentoSeven New Member

Picking Ryan would be odd, unless we have a draft day trade of KC.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You do realize that most draft picks DO NOT contribute IMMEADIATELY?

We are not guaranteed a early contributer if we draft McFadden, Gholston, or Ryan.

If Ryan is the best player available...you take him.

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Or if we tossed Penny in a draft day trade.

16. SixteentoSeven

SixteentoSeven New Member

If we tossed Penny in then we would basically have 2 raw QBs. I dont think Tangini want to risk 2008 on that.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We would have two raw QBs, but we could also sign a cheap veteran backup after the June 1st cuts.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We would have two raw QBs, but we could also sign a cheap veteran backup after the June 1st cuts.

Most likely, Pennington will be in New York, but I can't see the coaching staff giving the starting job back to him.

19. Don

If we drafted Ryan at #6 he would have to play at some point this year. I can't think of another top 10 QB that didn't in their first year. Even Russell did after that long holdout. Oh, Rivers didn't. There probably are a few but not many.

20. Don

They won't "give" it to anybody. Who ever plays better in the preseason will be the QB.