Todd Bowles’ second chance

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by PabloJa, Jan 15, 2022.

1. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

If Toilet Bowles gets a new gig as HC, how do you guys think he’ll fare his second time around?

(Sorry in advance if this thread needs to be moved)

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think he has a good chance to be reasonably successful. Bowles is a good man and a good football coach. He seems like the type of guy who can learn from his shortcomings from his first stint as head coach as well as hire the correct coordinator to run a competent offense.

3. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Do you think he’d be successful if he ends up with the Vikings? I think Kirk Cousins would hold him back as he did Zimmer

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I dunno about Bowles. He may have risen as high as he should go. There's nothing wrong with being a very good/great DC.

I believe that whomever the new HC is will look to dump Cousins. They may keep him one more year, draft a rookie and let him sit, but that's it. More than likely, I think they'll try to trade him and when that fails will just cut him and look to sign a different vet. I don't think that Cousins is very popular with his teammates.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Let's leave this here for a while but will eventually move it to NFL Forum.
    It might work in Vikings. Packers might get away from Rodgers and Kirk Cousins would be the best QB of the division. If like JV says, he can find a good OC he might actually be successful this time. I wish him well. Great human being.

PabloJa and Acad23 like this.
  6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I agree 100%, not all O/C's and D/C's are cut out to be a Head Coach - nothing wrong with that.

In my opinion Bowles has reached as high as he can as a D/C and lets not forget there are only 32 of those out there at the NFL level.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why would you want the added stress, take the plaudits for being a top DC and you will always be in demand as such, fail again at HC and then you become slightly tarnished.

Maybe we weren't a great fit but his 1000 yard stare is hard to forget.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh why would you ever want to be a CEO when you are making lots of money being a VP of Operations?

These guys are as competitive as the players.

I don’t think Cousins held Zimmer back as much as advertised. The Vikings defense has been pretty bad the past couple years and that’s on Zimmer. But that’s probably the best spot for him. Or Denver if they get Rodgers (doubt it), Russell Wilson (eh) or another ready to go veteran QB.

9. K'OB

Eh, because sometimes you are better off being a top coach and not a shit HC, again just like in football there are people who are better suited to being an assistant manager than an actual manager.

As for your analogy, if you are not very good at being the VP of Operations you won't make any money and then you may not get the chance to be a CEO again, though it isn't very football relatable tbh.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Todd Bowles has a Dick LeBeau vibe about him.

Strong technician who knows exactly what he wants to get done on defense.

Some times a guy is very good at being a DC without any particularly good tools to run the whole show. That job takes a lot of different qualities and people blow out trying to do it all the time.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If he gets a new gig, he might want to revisit his statement he made when he was the jets coach. When asked about players being late for meetings, Bowles mumbled something about he has no real problem with it because not everybody's alarm clock goes off or something stupid like that. :D NOT the way to establish discipline.

PabloJa likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t get your angle. The comparison was that he was a good VP of operations as a defensive coordinator. Bad CEO. But if he was offered another shot as the big dawg, why wouldn’t he want it? Your first post questioned why anyone would want another crack at the top position in the sport.

13. Khan

Khan Active Member

Yeah, and he does deserve a second chance to see if he can put it together elsewhere. Dudes a thousand times worse have gotten that.

Same goes for the exec analogy. As long as things weren't a complete disaster, there's usually at least one more opportunity.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Bowles is a good defensive coordinator. I was not a fan of how he coached the Jets, but it just depends where he lands if he will be successful or not. Tom Brady showed up in Tampa Bay and they won the Super Bowl with strong defensive play. That should be enough to get Bowles a second chance. Wouldn't shock me if he leads his second team to the playoffs or he crashes and burns. I don't think he is great or terrible. He is okay. You could do better. You could do worse.

PabloJa and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

One thing is for certain...if he does get a second chance at being a HC I hope for his sake that he doesn't hire Kacy Rodgers as his DC again. If he does, he's not only doomed to fail, but stupid.

16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It will also matter if he can be paired with a GM who understands how to work together with the coaching staff to pick players… Which he didn’t have last time.

TwoHeadedMonster and PabloJa like this.
  17. K'OB

My angle?

It was an opinion that Bowles would be better off staying as a DC rather than failing at HC again.

I said want the stress btw and then gave a reason specific to Bowles.

The rest is all down to you JV

18. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

His second chance has ALWAYS ultimately depended on the GM he'll be working for.

I've said it already many times, Todd Bowles is a good HC. I wouldn't say he's great, not as good as Rex Ryan was, but still a solid HC.

Todd Bowles, just like Rex Ryan MUST have talent to work with and both of those guys were weighed down by TERRIBLE GM's. If you don't have talent you're not going to win. It's as simple as that.

So I wish TB luck but honestly I think he should be much more choosy about WHO he works for

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

whose to sya how much say he had LAST time?

i think his ceiling is DC.

nuthn against him REALLY.

seems a decent fellow.