Today - '98 Jets vs '08 Jets: who would win?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hiker, Nov 15, 2008.

?

'98 Jets or '08 Jets?

1. '98 Jets, definitely!

82 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. '08 Jets, no doubt

25 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. too close to call, a tie

22 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

That '98 team was a machine, the second best team in the NFL, and we all know the championship game was the real Superbowl. But that team also had a slow start (After the 49er game, anyway), losing clunkers to teams like Baltimore and St. Louis that they should have destroyed, and getting started with a record of 2-3. So just bear that in mind when you consider this year's Jets, whom have now won 6 of the last 7 games, and where we are going from here, as opposed to where we started.

The upcoming game in Tennessee, in fact, reminds me of the second game against Buffalo that year. A tough, brutal, low scoring defensive struggle that came down to one big play making the difference (Dedric Ward, down the sidelines) I could easily see that happening. I wonder which game will remind us of Vinny's "touchdown" against Seattle? :rofl:

The AFC East that year had 4 playoff teams, when was the last time you could say that? Of course, that was in the era of 3 wildcard spots. But to come out on top of that heap, that's impressive. Only this season, the East could (not incredibly likely, but...) have 3 teams in, and we are very well poised to win it again.

It may be too early to be asking this, we will certainly know much, much more about the greatness of this year's team after next Sunday. You may even want to keep that in mind when you decide who to vote for, and hold off. I can't blame you. But I had this idea hit me, and I knew it could make for one hell of an argument, so why wait? But I'm not making "too early to tell" an option, in case this thread should stick around a while.

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

both really talented. but hands down 98 had the better coaching staff. that would be the deciding factor.

3. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

It's not even close bro.

98 Testaverde > 2008 Favre

Bill Percells > Eric Mangini

This team might be as good as the 98 team next year after everyone jells a little bit better, but not this year. This team still has a long way to go.

4. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Maybe this is why I should have waited a week. As great as Vinny was that year, he still put in a few bad throws as well. Its Vinny, and it was downfield passing, so that's going to happen. But nobody remembers that; just like by January, we will have forgotten Favre's string of ints. (I hope) Vinny put up a lot of points against some good competition, but he also had a defense that kept things under control. That may, in the end, be my decision maker; not so much Favre vs Vinny. 6tds against a soon-to-be division champion, 40 points in a half, 34 points in a quarter! I know it was 2 games out of 10, but wow! That is firepower even the '98 team would have loved to have had.

Of course, the coaching with the '98 team, that's a given edge. There's no team in the league today with that much coaching talent on one staff.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Bill Percells?

The '98 team would win.

6. IATA

IATA Trolls

A Toyota Percells

kek

7. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Just a couple of thoughts here. I still think the '98 team was better, but consider this.

98 Testaverde > 2008 Favre...I am not so sure about this. It's easy to look back over the season Vinny ended up having. But how would he have done if he was the opening day starter? Favre was thrown into the fire with a month less in the offense than Vinny. Parcells held Vinny back or had to wait until Vinny was ready. How much more comfortable would Favre be if he was given the first 5 weeks to sit back and learn the system?

And let's not pretend the '98 season was all roses. We were handed a gift against Seattle. We also allowed a late first half TD in the playoffs against Jacksonville that put them back in the game. Jacksonville cut the lead to only 7 with 6 minutes left. That was the same kind of stuff we are criticizing the team for this year.

8. allan1

allan1 Active Member

another key point

Bill Belichick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bob Sutton

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I was at that divisional playoff game against jacksonville. We dominated the entire game. We were so much better than them, it wasn't even funny - And that Jaguar team was VERY good, particulary offensively (Brunell was in his prime, he had Jimmy smith and keenan McCardell to throw to, Fred Taylor to hand off to, and was protected by a huge offensive line) By the way, the Jets gave up a hail mary to Jimmy smith right before the end of the first half - the play was inexcusable, you are correct (it cut the lead to 17-7 at halftime)

10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It's interesting . . . I think this team is more talented than the 1998 team. I don't think we had a player on the defensive side of the ball anywhere near as dominant as Jenkins on the 1998 team. (Our run defense was solid in 98 but Ferguson just wasn't the impact player Jenkins is at nose tackle) We also didn't have a shut down corner in 1998 nearly as good as Revis. (Glenn was very good but just not as talented as Revis is) I think we clearly have more talented Pass rushers on this team then we had on the 1998 team. (I must say though, our 1998 linebackers were much better in pass coverage than this current group - Mo Lewis was excellent at it) I think the running game compared to 1998 is probably a little better (curtis was hurt that year and we really weren't a particulary strong running team that year, especially in short yardage where we really struggled at times) The best thing about the 1998 team was the short to intermediate passing game. It was almost unstoppable and Vinny just played lights out that year. As good as Favre has been at times, he hasn't been anywhere near as consistent as Vinny was. (Now, Favre came here a lot later in the process than Vinny did. It would be great to see him get a full offseason, mini-camp, and training-camp in the offense) Also, Chrebet and Keyshawn had huge seaons and were really an awesome tandem. Dedric Ward was a wonderful deep threat. Another thing often forgotten about that team is how good the O-line was at pass protection. (Although definately not as good at run blocking as our current line is, I would say it was certainly better at pass protection) One huge difference between this team and that team, is this team has one of the most dangerous kick off returners in all of football, as well as, one of the most dangerous change-up backs in all of football, all wrapped into one remarkable younh player, Mr. Leon Washington. Now, Leon Johnson was a nice player for the 98 Jets. But he didn't have half the talent or explosiveness that Washington has. End of story. Yeah, overall I would say this team is probably more talented and has more potential than that team.

However, it remains to be seen whether this team will play with the same poise and swagger down the stretch as the 98 displayed so consistently. That 1998 Jet team just got on an unbelievable run and really came together like few teams ever do. I think if we ever won this Tennessee game, we could really take off and be a really tough out going foward. It's going to be fascinating to watch this team continue to come together and play meaningful games in November, December, and hopefully (almost definately) January.

#10 slimjasi, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  11. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Have Jets fans collectively lost their minds??????

Someone thinks the '98 Jets have the edge at QB because the Parcells Jets had Vinny Testaverde instead of Bret Favre? Puh-leeze. This guy should be banned form the board for stupidity!

And someone else thinks that the '98 coaching was so great? Because they had Belicheat???

Puh-leeze. Just remember that last regular season game in his first season against the Lions, when Parcells threw the game away. Or how Parcells started Rick Mirer over Ray Lucas after Testaverde went down--and how the Jets could have made the playoffs of not for that VERY bad decision. OR how Parcells thought Al Groh was the man to guide the Jets after he left? Puh-leeze.

Bill Parcells did not do his best job of coaching with the New York Jets. I respect the guy, but let's face facts.

This 2008 Jets team is the BEST Jets team I have ever seen. They are going to the championship game, maybe further.

And I am getting sick and tired of all you so-called Jets fans who aren't enjoying this amazing ride we are on.

ME? I am in ecstasy!!!!

JETS JETS! JETS! JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!JETS JETS! JETS!

12. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Belicheck......Imagine for a moment that the Jets make the AFC Championship game and shutout their opponent in the second half. They dominate as opposed to allowing the Broncos to get off the deck and comeback to win.

Belicheck is a genius, no doubt. But there were about a half dozen breakdowns by his defense when he was with the Jets that leave you scratching your head. The '98 games against the Seahawks, Colts, Rams and Broncos. '99 games against the Raiders, Redskins and Giants were poor defensive efforts.

13. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

^^ not funny

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

15. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Screw you dude. I do not take drugs, and you are a complete jerk for suggesting that my fan enthusiasm is due to illegal drug use.

You are a perfect example of why I am very close to quitting this board.

Too many of you are getting to be too anti-Jets for me.

16. JetsLookingforDWare

If they played today, the 2008 team.That 1998 team's got to be up there in age by now.

17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

[​IMG]

18. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Sorry about the misspelling...
    But it would be cooler if you supported my basic Point of View.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Vinny in '98 had the best season ever by a Jets QB. he threw just 7 INts all year(one was a hail mary at the end of a half), he was 12-1 as a starter in the reg season in BY FAR the NFL's toughest division. There's just no comparison w/ the QBs from '98 to this year.

We got a gift against Seattle after the blew a call when Key caught a TD but was forced out and had we lost and the rest of the season ended the same we would have been 11-5 w/ a 1st rd bye so nothing would have changed.

Jax was never really in that playoff game, they never had the ball down just a TD w/ a chance to tie. That Smith TD gave them life and didn't allow us to put it away until late but we were always in control.

20. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

98 Defense > 08 Defense by far... not even comparable... so I think they're the better team... Defense wins championships... and it was mistakes on offense that cost us the game in Denver...

Now just for fun imagine 08 offense with 98 Defense... That team would be unstoppable