To all you offensive line lovers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Smokeeater, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Smokeeater

Smokeeater New Member

Can anyone out there name just 1 team who went to the superbowl and won by the way of drafting two lineman in the first round?

I know Dallas in the 90's did not draft any o lineman in the first round. You do not need to draft them that high for them to make an impact.

Did New England daft any lineman that high.......no! They won Superbowls without high o lineman picks.

You people think this is what you build a franchise around but it is not. When the Bengals wanted to re-build who did they choose first.......Carson Palmer.....what about the Colts......they drafted Manning to build around NOT AN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN. Get it through your heads that you need not choose one that high to help your team win.

2. floridajet

floridajet Member

We have 3 possible franchise QBs....

3. Pride

Pride New Member

So did you want us to draft Leinart?

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

You build a team around people who actually touch the ball. That does not include the center.

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Name them, lol

6. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Are you suggesting that, had we drafted Leinart and, say, LenDale White, we could've gone to the Super Bowl this year?

Please. You build a team out from the lines. Alot of people in the greater New York area have forgotten the fact that fucking Kliff Kingsbury had time behind center last year. The Jets will compete for the Super Bowl because of the work done this weekend, and it's ignorant to suggest that we would've been materially better with Leinart or anyone else in the Top #10.

7. joejets1

joejets1 Member

Your post pretty much contradicts itself. You talk about the Patriots...they drafted a guard last year and the quaterback that won 3 superbowls wasn't a 1st round pick. I am not for drafting offensive lineman in the first round either, but no one was there that was as good a value as D'Brickashaw.

8. Smokeeater

Smokeeater New Member

Just answer the question at hand.

9. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

If that's your logic, I'd have to assume that you didn't want Leinart, Cutler, or Young either. Correct?

10. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

Who is the Bengals Left Tackle?? Willie Anderson......Who is the Colts Left Tackle?? Tarik Glenn......What round were these tackles taken in???

I guess both these teams were in the Jets shoes in 96-97

11. Boom Dawg

Boom Dawg New Member

Ok you guys just showed you dont know much about football. Those teams didnt draft linemen in the first round BECAUSE they already had a line. WE dont have a line and it doesnt matter who you put back there they will get killed if we kept the same one as last year. Hate to tell you tards but your O-line makes it possible for your RB and QB to have success.

12. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

I thought the same. With an exception of a SELECT few 1st rdrs, you never here about how a team had years of success because their first pick was an O lineman. We have all this NE comparison stuff floating around but I have to ask, do the Pats have 1st rdrs the OL? Do the Steelers? Ravens? Who else? This doesn't scare or concern me but it REALLY bothers me.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Have Indy or Cincy gotten to the Super Bowl since making that choice?

14. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

To give you a clue..they were both taken in the same round as D'Brickashaw Ferguson

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Orlando Pace? Walter Jones? Ogden? All their teams made it to the Super Bowl, and I'm pretty sure they were all first rounders...

#15 Jake, Apr 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
  16. Pride

Pride New Member

I think your confused about people who want to build up the o-line. I think you cant have a super bowl caliber team w/o a really good o-line. This doesnt mean I want the o-line to all be franchise players. Mangold was a good pick and Ferguson was a good pick. This is not a one and done deal there is a draft next year. Mike T acquiring the Redskins #2 give us more ammo to go trade up for a playmaker next year. The bengals took Levi Jones in the 1st round and im pretty sure the colts took Tarik Glenn in round 1

17. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

To be honest with you, i hate reading these types of negative crap. So Matt Leinart was there, we could of traded for Bush, who cares. To be honest with you both those guys wanted New York as a pillar to help them gain money. They mentioned New York as a market, not the team. I would rather have a guy who wanted to be a Jet, who wanted to play in his home and who didnt see this football team as a market to increase his lifestyle. This whole draft i think is really good. We got young on the Offensive Line except Kendall. We have great depth at Running back with Houston and Now Washington. We got a versatile player in Brad Smith who could be our Randle El type player. We drafted depth at Safety and We got our QB in Clemens. I like this draft. Why is getting a QB and running back so high, matter much. Peyton Manning- no rings and chokes, Palmer- is now in a pennington what now position. And just to let you know, Its not like these guys did it alone.

18. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

So u want us to do exactly what the 90s Cowboys did? And the Pats? It's different strokes for different folks, man. Theres no one clear blueprint on how to get to the Superbowl. Also, there is no one strategy to have a good draft. If a team goes through 4 QBs and have the worst rushing game in the league, u gotta think their o-line sucks. This had to be addressed first. What has been proven in the NFL is any QB and RB can strive behind a great o-line. I don't know what you're smoking. Have you been listening to the reports? Many experts believe we have had the best draft. Online polls were taken, and we're third behind SF and NO. Check yourself, homie.

19. Pride

Pride New Member

Its a necessary evil. It sucks this year when you have eye candy like Young and Bush at the top of the board but with a established O-line this will enable us to go after skill position players in the future

20. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

100% correct. We had a great draft. These guys don't know what they're talking about.