TJ Hockenson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Feb 19, 2019.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'm debating one of my friends. He swears that at 7 (if we trade with the Jaguars) we need a playmaker like him. I like the trade idea but I don't want a tight end at 7. I think we need to go offensive line. I know Herndon will be suspended for a game but he looks to be a very good tight end and I feel we can find another one later in the draft. Herndon was a 4th round pick. I feel at 7 we should go olinemen. Then if we add a 2nd round and with out third that's where we add a rb, wr and te based on best available. What does everyone else think?

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No to Hockenson. The Jets wont be taking a TE in the first round period. They have Herndon and if I was Mac I would go sign Jesse James ( Steelers ) in FA. James is a good blocker and the Jets can mix and match Herndon and James at TE for the next few years and have no worries there.

As far as trading down to #7 that is certainly viable......I would think at #7 Jonah Williams is the guy if he is still on the board. In rounds 2 - 4 with I'm guessing 5 picks ( assuming the Jets add a second and a third in the trade ) the Jets need to find a center, a RB, a WR, and hopefully a pass rusher at some point......even if they sign a pass rusher in FA.

3. Im all for trading down to 7 & im all for emphasizing skill & playmakers. Hearing fans year after year ignore skill & obsess over OL has become exhausting. Jonah williams is not worth a top 10 pick & i hope fans come to grips w this instead fixating & forcing it.

I also think TE makes more sense than folks are giving credit bc the modern NFL is more about match ups than position..its almost positionless at this point. I think passing on a skill player at any position that can help other than QB bc of perceived position is making the mistake of building a team on paper.Get guys who do different thiings well that can win matchups..period.

Herndon lines up all over the place & is not a conventional in line Tight end.

That said im not considering Hockenson till at least pick 15.The guy whod make sense at 7 would be Noah Fant.Hed compliment Q,Herndon,RA & dare I say Bell quite well.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Would you take Fant over the Edge guys who could be available at 7? I'd like to get a playmaker or two for the offense, but Edge is a big need and this draft is supposed to be deep in Edge rushers. I've yet to see Fant mocked into the top 10.

5. Based on the roster moves over last couple weeks im under the impression the Front 7 incl edge & OL will be emphasized in Free agency.

In the event edge isnt addressed in FA is an entirely different matter & the team’s hand willl be forced.

Fant as of this moment is a reach at 7 no doubt but he has better value than Hockenson. Hes the type of player who could develop into a #1 type option for an offense bc he can do so many different things.

I think there are certain types of players that are sort of players worth reaching on.Fant fits that description esp after already trading down like in this scenario.

Thats not to say im advocating for reaching on Fant..Id rather have N’keal Harry

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm not sure if the top Edge guys become FA's. Signing a 2nd tier Edge shouldn't stop them from going Edge in round 1, even after a trade down IMO. I feel like a good WR prospect can be had with a recouped 2nd rounder or later. It comes down to development.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Fair enough but the O Line needs to be fixed one way or the other. Some people say Williams is over rated and not worth a top 10 pick. I wonder if those are the same people who claim Mac has purposely neglected the OL? If Jonah Williams is indeed over rated it will underscore the same problem the Jets and other teams have faced at the top of the draft the last 2-3 years. Not very OL friendly....

On the other hand I think you are very correct in regards to the Jets FA plans . It does appear there is going to be a lot of shuffling along both lines . I’m hoping the Jets can find a way to snag a top pass rusher ( figure chances are only one will be left unprotected ) and if not they should sign a second tier EDGE guy and draft another .

My ideal FA would be EDGE, a TE to pair with Herndon ( James ), one starting OL ( hopefully Brown becomes available ) , a playmaker of some type ( RB ), and a #2 type CB. I’m not sure if they can afford all of that being that they will also need a veteran back up QB.

If they were to sign a top caliber RB like Bell then they most likely not be able to afford all of those other pieces.