Time to give up on Justin Miiler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenBleeder, Jul 31, 2008.

1. GreenBleeder

GreenBleeder Member

This is the third year that from the very beginning of training camp the Jets have tried to hand Justin Miller the starting CB job. Initially he s%&* the bit immensely and then last year he stank during TC and then got injured early.

I think we need to realize that he is just not a good cornerback. Great return man, great athlete, but just not a good cover guy.

When I am at practice he looks terrible. Then I question wheter I am being fair to him and then I read in Boland and Cimini's reports how he really did got burned. This is by David Clowney and Chansi Stuckey. How the hell is he gonna cover Moss or Welker, or Evans for that matter?

We are led to believe that he has great upside, but this is his 4th year in the NFL. His upside needs to be now. If not, let's say goodbye.

I feel much better about the upside of Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He didn't stink during TC last year, people were having a circle jerk over how well he was doing before he got hurt. I'm not really in his camp, but at least give the guy a chance to redeem himself.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Since his contract is ending very soon, I believe this will be the sink or swim year for Miller. You can't hate those return skills though. I wonder if its still there after blowing out his ACL.

4. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

one thing i will say, from stopping by TC twice so far, is that miller appears to be limping. it also seems he has lost weight. he just looks like a different guy out there to me.

5. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Every CB gets beat...it's part of playing the position.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

put him out there, returning kicks, in the pre season. let him showase some skills, and if he does, TRADE THE BITCH!Lets get a pick in next years draft.
    That is, if he does'nt win the starting corner job

7. CanadaGreen

CanadaGreen New Member

It is still early, and he is coming off a major knee injury. I don't believe he will ever become a top flight corner though and that will be a blow to our secondary.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He's a conditional 3rd-5th due to the return skills.

That means Hester could warrant a 2nd, or a 1st if a team is dumb enough. Thats pretty crazy.

9. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

He's nasty in Madden 08 though ..

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^So is Ty Law.

11. Jetsfan 128099

Miller

I always liked Justin Miller, just we have to make sure he stays consistent. I could see him being the No.2 corner for the team.

12. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

With Justin Miller, he's been on the field almost a week. I don't believe he's missed any practices, right? So chances are, he's just discovering how that first year knee reconstruction is going to complain during its recovery from strenuous use. Getting used to and mastering that knee's "new attitude" is this year's holy grail for the player.

Why do you think people say that it takes two years to come back from an ACL?

There are two learning curves going on for Justin Miller -- one's learning he can be fooled and what to do about it, and the other's learning how to play through that cranky knee.

He has to mask any limp because the trainer will side-line his ass in a minute. He has to keep himself upbeat no matter what happens, so he can do better the next snap -- whatever it brings.

Now, when you think about it a little bit, maybe these snap judgments could be suspended for a couple of weeks, and let's see what happens with a few dozen reps.

Playing cornerback is not simple; it is an independent thinking man's position -- it requires a helluva lot more moxie than just a bust-ass head-hunter who can run fast.

The one good thing Justin Miller has is catch up speed. The one vital thing he needs to develop is a helluva lot better situational awareness and a memory for all the things that people have done to him and what to do about them.

His notebook is still thin. He's got some time to fill it up, in my opinion.

13. Gator

Gator Active Member

Well everyone is different, and every injury is different. A young guy like him could get back to 100% a little faster, but playing pick-up hoops at the Plainview Pool all through his rehabilitation couldn't have helped. :)

14. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i'd think if someone on here noticed he has a limp, then at least 1 person on the Jets staff would have noticed this too; no?

15. This is what Jets fans do best. Give up on young players and proclaim them as busts.

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

great post! hopefully he will be given some time at least more than the original poster has decided to give him.

to say he stunk during camp really just makes the original poster appear as though he has no idea what he is talking about.

i will also have to agree with kurt, some guys need a little bit of time to mature in the league not everyone comes in as an all pro thier first year. it just so happens he lost the entire second season of his career and as was pointed out before is learning 2 very different and very difficult things right now.

17. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

Let him stay. He is magical on those kick returns.

:jets:

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

How can we give up on a guy only a 2 weeks into camp?

19. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? He was great during camp last season, there were a million articles saying how improved he was and that they were expecting big things.

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'm one of the biggest Miller bashers around, but I'm at least willing to see if he's built upon his short success from last year and can demonstrate that in some actual games.

To say that you give up on the guy based upon what some beat writers tell you following their practice observations seems to be jumping the gun a bit, no? The same rings true for Clemens and others whom the writers tend to be critical of.