Time to change the our philosophy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jedi mind tricks, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm sick of the "build a defense then establish a mediocre offense that won't turn the ball over" route. For all these years of building the defense we still haven't had a truly great defense to speak of.
    The Jets should have a great identity as a high flying offense. Hell it fits the team name! We were way ahead of the league back when we had Namath. Now everyone is throwing down field and we haven't found a franchise QB since. That should be us!! God it drives me crazy... Jets have such a horrid history we have no identity no real legacy. We're probably known for bad draft picks more than anything.
    First AFL/C team to win a super bowl
    First 4000 yard QB
    We should have built on that!! Established ourselves as a legit franchise!! Breaks my heart thinking about what we've become (or always been).
    I know it's not as easy as saying "get a great QB and build an all time offense" but for the last 10+ years our focus has been defense through multiple regimes and it's time change. TRY to build an offense.. And probably fail... but hell what's the alternative

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Post of the Year!

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what our style is, only how well we execute it. We need a good QB+coach+GM period.

Jets69, APK 8 and Royal Tee like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I still remember Ken O'Brien's heyday in the mid-80s when Wesley Walker was our deep threat. That team was stacked on both sides of the ball. Those flea flicker plays were a thing of beauty. I want to see our offense move the ball like that.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's time to hit the our enter key.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Thanks for stopping by, Captain.

SonofDinger likes this.
  7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

It's hard to put your stock in an offense when you don't have a quarterback to build around. I mean seriously, if we had a competent young QB, then of course they'd want to find a bright young offensive mind to pair him with. What's the closest we had to that.... Sanchez? Pfffft. I think the team has gone with defense as a matter of habit more than anything. We get a decent QB who thinks the OC sucks, and I'm sure things would change pronto.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

With all of the above, the absence of an identity coincides with the absence of a home ballpark. This team has been on the "road" for almost 50 years. Should be named the New York Vagabonds.

NCJetsfan, joe and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Thank Leon Hess & now Woody for what occurred after the NYJs won SB 3:mad:

ColoradoContrails and Jets69 like this.
  10. championjets69

Nah we have our home for the last 5/7 years so that is made us BS alibi. The other team that plays at Met has not done badly now have they? We also had our own home into the 70s @ Shea until we moved to the M/lands :mad:

11. championjets69

U can send your thank U card to Rexy for Sanchez :mad:

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Get a QB and supply him with the tools. We still haven't figured out the first part of the equation unfortunately.

13. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Get someone to run the organization whose name is not Woody Johnson. Sure, he has the right to approve deals, being his dime and all, but he shouldn't be the one making them <coughReviscough>. Jesus Fuck.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Is their any chance we could instill Don ( Air ) Coryell's mindset in either this or the next Jets Coach

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

You can't say they didn't try to build an offense. They brought in Forte, Marshall, Decker and a bunch of young guys. They have drafted a whole slew of QBs over the past decade. They clearly tried, it just didn't work out and the biggest reason is they are lacking the most important part of a good offense. Franchise QBs are not easy to find.

I'm looking forward to next year in seeing how Petty and Hack develop. Hopefully they will have a nice QB competition in the works and they won't bring in some over the hill vet like Romo. Maybe even draft another and have a 3 way competition like Seattle did when they found Russel Wilson.

#15 Sam Hammer, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    GreenfiendNYJ and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Lol@ Get a QB! this organization has been trying for decades, unfortunately for the fan base they consistently draft or acquire trash, that they've been consistent at, Can't have a high flying offense with 3rd string and backups as your starting QB.

That's why they consistently draft defense, because they are completely clueless when it comes to QBs

JetsNation06 likes this.
  17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

What a novel idea that gets posted every single week!

Jets69 likes this.
  18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It's interesting. When you look at all the big names those teams had on paper, they really underachieved.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

They brought in SOME offensive guys, but who was the HC - a defense-minded coach.

20. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

They try yes. They try to build the offense with late round picks and JAGS off the trash heap. For once I would like them to stop thinking that drafting one more defensive players is going to make our defense elite and instead focus on some offensive talent. Yes they may fail as much as any draft pick but at least we could see they were trying to be an offensive team.

2001 - Santana Moss
    2006 - D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    2009 - Mark Sanchez

16 years and only 2 first picks at the skills positions and Santana moss was only a speedster.

ColoradoContrails likes this.