Tim Tebow Landing Spot: One Answer

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Br4d, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So the Tebow speculation has me wondering about where he is going to land at this point. I've flipped from my CFL or bust position and I think he is going to get a spot on an NFL roster next season.

This thread has a simple rule. Pick ONE Tim Tebow landing spot and describe how he got there and what his role will be. Feel free to refute other people's positions in favor of your own but don't go off on tangents. You are picking one spot that he will wind up in and making a bet on it.

I think Tim Tebow is going to get cut by the Jets sometime after the draft. I think he is going to get picked up by the Jacksonville Jaguars as competition for their rookie QB, probably E.J. Manuel with the 33 pick. I think Blaine Gabbert is a cut before training camp as the new regime moves away from a bad QB.

I think Tebow might even get some starts early on as the Jaguars let Manuel adjust to the speed of the NFL game from a safe perch on the sidelines.

The reason the Jaguars are making no offers for Tebow is that they are #2 on the waiver list behind the Chiefs. Tebow has three years of service so he will be placed on waivers when he is released and the Jaguars will be able to pick up the two years remaining on his contract, which are cheap for a veteran backup QB.

It's the situation that makes the most sense at this point. I think the Jets are keeping Tebow because they consider the Jaguars the most likely landing spot and they're trying to get a late pick out of somebody else to effectively move up in front of the Jaguars.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Virginia Destroyers of the UFL. The league is really struggling and Tebow could provide an immediate boost in popularity.

3. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I don't think so. If they were willing to pick up his contract, they could get it now for virtually nothing. If they claim him off waivers, they claim the contract -- with the pro-rated cap hit.

I think any interested teams will wait for him to clear waivers, give the Jets the full accelerated cap hit, and then talk about signing him to a new contract with all that incentive and pro-rated signing bonus junk cleaned out.

I also think the Jaguars are not interested -- just taking them at their word. They have Blaine Gabbert. They have a track record that speaks for itself.

4. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

For the sake of this thread, I will assume he goes to the NFL, though that is looking like more and more of a longshot by the day.

I think the Jags were telling the truth when they said they didn't want him. None of the moves they are making look like they are moving toward Tebow's game. just doesn't make sense. I highly suspect Khan is looking to move the Jags, some say maybe to London. Unlikely as THAT is, moving the team would be all but impossible with Tebow on the roster. True, they are behind one team on the waiver wire, but Kansas City seems pretty set on Alex Smith and I think they have their backup already.

Really, there is little reason to fart around with posturing in hopes of getting Tebow off waivers when all they have to do is give up a token pick that would likely go for a special teamer at best. No loss there, cuz Tebow played more special teams than he did QB last year. Why NOT give that up if you think you can make serious bank on having Tebow on the roster and if you think he might actually make you a good team.

If I had to pick a Florida team, I'd put my money on Tampa before Jacksonville. But neither are my bet.

My bet? (and here is why I think it is as good a guess as any.) But throughout the league, one team I only hear mentioned once in a while as a potential destination is New Orleans. After you are done laughing, consider this. Brees also played the Option in college. It will also be a scenario where Tebow can sit back and develop his game, and there won't be much of a QB controversy because everyone knows who the starter will be. True, they aren't the same QB, but Tebow isn't going to a team where they ARE similar. That, and New Orleans might actually have a use for him with the other aspects of their running game.

Face it. It is almost impossible to have him in as a backup UNLESS there is an established starter who is relatively safe from controversy. Who wants a backup who gets more attention than the starter? That alone IMO rules out San Fran and Seattle. Nobody is going to risk ruining a good thing going with a QB controversy of putting in a backup/third stringer who is more popular with the media than their starters. I seriously doubt he lands in Pittsburgh, and I doubt the rumors that he will go to the Pats. Won't be Denver or Green Bay. Unlikely to be a Raven or Giant... running out of QBs for him to sit behind. A lot of backup spots we see now will be filled with the draft anyway.

Only other team that might pick him up is one that is looking for a starter because all they have is crap. That goes back to Jacksonville, which I doubt or Tampa. Don't think Cleveland is ready to move on yet either... at least not in favor of Tebow.

Quite often the move that eventually happens isn't usually the move on people's top 5 list of what might actually happen. So I'm going out on a limb here and saying, New Orleans.

#4 Concerned_Citizen, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  5. Br4d

There's no pro-rated bonus money on Tebow's contract according to overthecap.com. Not sure how that worked out but the cost of acquiring him isn't that expensive, maybe less expensive than negotiating with him in the open market. There is a payment to the Broncos due this year but I'm not sure on the mechanics of that.

New regime, new QB's. It's a story as old as the NFL itself. I expect Gabbert and Henne both to be gone this year.

Tebow does have real promotional value for the Jaguars. I'm going to be surprised if they don't claim him off of waivers.

6. Br4d

A draft pick is a draft pick. If you think you can get the player for free you do that, no?

Drew Brees has been an All-Pro 3 of the last 7 seasons. He is the passing yards leader by a mile over that span (actually by 3.86 miles to be more accurate.) The 33,571 yards he has passed for over the last 7 seasons is by far an NFL record for that time span.

Even if you give Peyton Manning back the 2011 season and Tom Brady 2008 at their average numbers Brees is more than a mile ahead of them in overall passing yardage.

I don't think the Saints are going to switch to an option offense so that they can have Tim Tebow as the backup QB. :)

7. SF MoneyBags

SF MoneyBags Member

I think Tim is released and offered an invite to the Jags' camp. There was not much tape of Tim last year so I have a feeling there are some decision makers that have an opinion but they need to see first hand before moving on. I honestly believe the Jags will cut Tim before the preseason after watching him practice for a bit and Tim will not make it to the NFL regular season on anyone's roster.

8. SF MoneyBags

SF MoneyBags Member

I just can't see Tim adding any real value to any NFL team. His skills are so limited and there are so many cheaper, younger options that can duplicate Tim's production in the passing and running game. He is approaching "veteran" status which means most NFL guys know everything they need to know about Tim including his ceiling.

9. Concerned_Citizen

Sure, they CAN get him without giving the Jets anything, but so can anyone else. That's the problem. They are not exactly "free." Not if it comes down to a bidding war for teams. If you think you have a good player just waiting for you to pluck them up, you do it. Why risk losing your guy to someone else?

If you are thinking, Jacksonville, Then imagine this: (Or step into the mind of a Teboner for a sec in what they are likely thinking...) They Jags are heading into next season knowing they have Gabbert. They said all the right things, and say they are committed to their QB and gonna get him some tools, but we all know what that means in the NFL. Nothing. They are secretly salivating thinking they are about to land Super Timmy on their team. Licking at their chops knowing they have the inside track on the waiver wire,. Why give ANYTHING to the jets at all when all they gotta do is wait? Jets are about to cut Timmy. Jags are ready with the checkbook and on the way to the playoffs... Oh, happy day... ... oh shit. Right before he was cut, some other team gave up a 7th rounder and now have exclusive rights to Tebow. Sorry, stuck with Gabbert and a 3-13 season...

Nice thought that people are just waiting for the bottom dollar (though nobody at this time can say when that is.) But he could be had for a half eaten ham sandwich right now. You want him and think he is your guy?

....I really think he's gonna clear waivers, and will attempt to negitiate with teams. I think SOMEONE will pick him up hoping to capitalize on his popularity. Jets are probably more worried about his contract and cap hit than getting a draft pick for a practice squad or special teams player. They could use Timmy for either of those roles if it comes down to it. They'd sure sell a lot of jerseys in the process.

As for the New Orleans take, I think NO could use him more for the running dynamic than as a "true" backup for Brees. My prediction is that it will be the best role he can hope for, cuz it is clear nobody is looking at him to be the starter, and in most cases, backup would be difficult as well due to politics. What does it normally do to a locker room when a backup is more popular than an average Joe starter?

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't see him anywhere as a qb. Maybe as a special teamer but any team who brings him in now as a qb after what the NY media has done will be subject to the same ridicule that the Jets were. (Just not to the same degree)

11. Br4d

There's no bidding war when Tebow is cut. He has less than 4 years service and he has an existing contract. That contract is going to be sitting there on the waiver wire waiting to get picked up.

If he had 4 years service or a no-trade clause then he's a UFA immediately upon being cut. Otherwise he's still sitting on his old contract for a period of a day or more as he clears waivers.

The Jaguars sit #2 on the waiver wire. The only team that can claim Tebow before them is the Chiefs who seem unlikely to do so.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

cowboys, no good logical explanation.just a shot in the dark. but thats really all tebow has left at this point

13. catsigater

catsigater New Member

No way. Jones will NEVER acquire Tebow. He's more likely to go to Jax than Dallas.

14. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Someone will pick him up after he is cut. That same someone will regret their decision shortly there after.

15. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

The Pats. Just because.

16. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Nah.

Mike Ditka is an owner of the Chicago Rush - an Arena Football League team. If "Iron Mike" is going to run his mouth on national TV about how great Tebow is and deserves a shot, then Ditka should put up his own money.

Or else he should just STFU...

17. Concerned_Citizen

Isn't it funny that those who seem to be taking up for Tebow are usually the types that lose nothing if he fails? Seems those who have money, reputation, and careers on their line seems to be pretty elusive on the idea of letting Tebow run their offenses.

Saw an article the other day that said in Tebow's last 3 losses, he was like 30 some odd percent completion percentage, and had eight turnovers and only one TD. I checked up on it and he actually had 2 TDs, but the 8 turnovers was actually true. FOUR times as many turnovers as he did TDs, and people here brag about how he doesn't turn the ball over, and how his no risk/no reward offense was the way to go.

Orlando Predators put out a standing offer for him should he find himself out of the NFL. Don't know if he will take it, explore the options of being on another team, or just quit football altogether. I can see why an AFL team and the league itself would want him, but AFL just isn't a big enough stage for him. I think he's still looking for as much exposure as possible and he might be more likely to be leading his own reality show than going to the Arena league.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why is everybody so sure Tebow would even want to play in Arena football? He has already made 8 million plus and there is a million other things he can do and probably make more money at than play fucking arena football.,

19. Concerned_Citizen

Heard he got about 50K for appearances and 100K for speeches. Might even make more doing that this offseason than he did sitting on the bench for the Jets. There's actually big money in that.

Once read that a conspiracy theorist toured the world giving speeches and made millions off of just the speeches alone. Not counting book deals and who knows what else. An ex president can make anywhere from 100K to half a million in some cases. Bill Clinton had been raking it in.

Tebow already has the name recognition, his own mania seems to have a life of its own. He's got a cult-like following ready to follow him to the Arena league or anywhere else he will go. They'll keep pumping money into his pockets, so even if out of the NFL, he's never going to be hurting for cash even if he spends every dime he made in the NFL within a day of him cashing his last NFL check.

Public speaking and a reality show really looks like something right up his alley. Who DOESN'T see something like that for Tebow in the future, (at least at some point) even if he has a long NFL career?

20. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

New England Patriots.