Three Round Mock Draft w/ Trades

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Apr 17, 2010.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

4/17
    This is my my fourth mock of the year, and it includes MANY trades, but each is possible and is accurate by value. With the new format and talent in the draft, it promises to come with many trades. Scott Wright expects this to be one of the most active drafts in a long time and it’s hard to argue with all of the top talent. So take a read through and check out the trades. They’re all plausible and make sense IMO. The Jets picks are the same as my last one, but check out the rest of the league’s mock too. Thanks for the read and enjoy:

Washington trades DT Albert Haynesworth to Houston for 3.81
    - It is pretty well-known that Haynesworth wants out of Washington and according to nfl.com, they are looking for a 2nd round pick, but given his contract that might not happen. The Texans could use a big DT next to Amobi Okoye and with no better offers the Skins’ settle for a mid third round pick.

Washington trades QB Jason Campbell to Carolina for 6.175 and conditional 2011 6th round pick
    - It appears that Campbell’s trade value is very low, which is surprising seeing that he’s a quality starting QB. Seeing that’s the case, he goes to the team that makes the most sense. The Panthers like Matt Moore at QB, and rightfully so, but they need a good backup or some good competition and Campbell is just that. This is a steal here and if I were Washington I would demand their 4th round pick at least, but that doesn’t appear likely. What is likely though is that Campbell gets dealt somewhere.

San Francisco trades 1.13 and 2.49 and 2011 4th round pick to Cleveland for 1.13 and 6.177
    - The first trade up of first round comes at #7. With Eric Berry on the board and Cleveland looking to trade down, this is ideal. San Francisco needs safety help and Berry is one of the top safety prospects of the decade. They immediately call about the 7th pick’s availability as they have considerable draft picks in 2010. And Cleveland’s real target would be a pretty big reach here.

NY Giants trade 1.15, 3.76, and 5.147 to Jacksonville for 1.10
    - This one also benefits both teams significantly. The Giants are in big need of a top ILB, and McClain is just that. However, there’s a very good chance that Denver grabs him at #11, so they work quickly to get a deal done with Jacksonville, who wants to trade down. And Jacksonville gets the guy they’ve been linked to since January. A reach here, but an important pick, Tebow has leadership abilities and athleticism that will make him a potential success at the next level. Jacksonville reaches a bit, but gets their guy here and have to feel good about that.

Philadelphia trades 1.24 and 2.37 to Denver for 1.11
    - It has actually been reported that the Eagles are looking to move up into the first half of the first round, and this is as good a spot as any. Joe Haden is undoubtedly the top CB in this draft and probably would be a top 10 lock if he ran a better forty-time, which is a non-issue anyway. The Eagles see their chance to get ahead of Cleveland to get their guy and don’t take any chances that another team trades up to get him with Denver. The Broncos are happy to move down and keep stockpiling picks as they need youth and talent and multiple spots. Look for Earl Thomas here too, but it seems that secondary is the target of Philly.

New England trades 1.22 and 2.53 to Seattle for 1.14 and 4.127
    - The trades continue with New England using one of their three 2nd round picks to move up and get a top talent, which seems VERY likely to me given all their second round picks. Brandon Graham will likely be off the board at 22, so they trade up to get their guy, who they’re rumored to be quite interested in, and rightfully so as Graham looks like a great fit in the 3-4 and reminds many scouts of LaMarr Woodley.

Dallas trades 1.27 and 2.59 to San Francisco for 1.17 and 6.177
    - Dallas would likely get a pretty good prospect at 27, but there’s one guy in particular who has fallen unexpectedly far and they need to get him. Earl Thomas is a play-making ball hawk and is still on the board at 17. With not too many glaring needs, they can afford to use their 2nd round pick to move up and address a major need and a major value. The 49ers are happy to acquire another 2nd round pick and move down ten slots.

Minnesota trades 1.30 and 2.62 to Atlanta 1.19 and 5.149
    - Perhaps the most talked about trade of the draft will be this one. The Vikings may or may mot be with Brett Favre in 2010, but in either case, he won’t play for more than another season or two (Or will he?). So they need an heir at QB with all of the talent on this team. Clausen is just that and has taken a draft fall just like Brady Quinn and Aaron Rodgers. So the Vikings move up to 19 as they cannot play the waiting game anymore as a team like Cleveland or Buffalo could easily trade up for Clausen. The QB of the future is here for the Vikings and they have to feel great about that. The Falcons top-two pass rushers are gone (Morgan and Graham) and with no other great values – My guess is they won’t take another raw DE in the first round after busing on Jamaal Anderson big time as they might see a couple similarities between him and Pierre-Paul. They are more than happy to move down and get back into the 2nd round in the process.

Denver trades 2.37 and 3.80 to Arizona for 1.26
    - The Broncos just nabbed a talented number-one caliber wide out and now move right back into the first a two picks later to get a fantastic value and a perfect fit in their 3-4 with Sergio Kindle. Mocked as high as 11 to Denver, Kindle could fall by chance or he could get taken by Miami 12. But he has fallen and likely wouldn’t get passed San Fran or the Jets. So Denver uses a 3rd round to move up and get a top pass-rusher opposite Dummervil. The Cardinals have a handful of needs they’d like to address so they don’t mind getting another 3rd round pick and moving down eleven spots

Cleveland trades 2.38 and 3.92 to NY Jets for 1.29
    - And the final trade I’ll do involves the Browns getting back into the first round. Colt McCoy is a guy they’ve been linked to and would appear to be a good west-coast offense fit. The Browns get their QB of the future here and the Jets are more than happy to get their original third round pick back. The Browns badly need a young QB to develop and possibly start soon, and if they miss out on McCoy, the next best prospect is someone like John Skelton or Jarrett Brown. So yeah, this trade needed to happen, making BUFFALO the odd team out who has missed out on a QB. They should have taken Jimmy Clausen at 9, and while I find it hard to believe they want to pass on him, it looks that that’s a possibility.

ROUND ONE
    1. St Louis: Sam Bradford QB
    2. Detroit: Ndamukong Suh DT
    3. Tampa Bay: Gerald McCoy DT
    4. Washington: Russell Okung OT
    5. Kansas City: Bryan Bulaga OT
    6. Seattle: CJ Spiller RB
    7. San Francisco (f/Cle): Eric Berry S
    8. Oakland: Bruce Campbell OT
    9. Buffalo: Trent Williams OT
    10. NY Giants (f/Jax): Rolando McClain ILB
    11. Philadelphia (f/Den): Joe Haden CB
    12. Miami: Dan Williams DT
    13. Cleveland (f/SF): Jared Odrick DL
    14. New England (f/Sea): Brandon Graham OLB/DE
    15. Jacksonville (f/NYG): Tim Tebow QB/??
    16. Tennessee: Derrick Morgan DE
    17. Dallas (f/SF): Earl Thomas S
    18. Pittsburgh: Maukrice Pouncey OG/C
    19. Minnesota (f/Atlanta): Jimmy Clausen QB
    20. Houston: Ryan Matthews RB
    21. Cincinnati: Jermaine Gresham TE
    22. Seattle: Roger Saffold OT/OG
    23. Green Bay: Charles Davis OT
    24. Denver (f/Phi): Dez Bryant WR
    25. Baltimore: Kyle Wilson CB
    26. Denver (f/Ari): Sergio Kindle OLB/DE
    27. San Francisco (f/Dal): Mike Iupati OT/OG
    28. San Diego: Kareem Jackson CB
    29. Cleveland (f/NYJ): Colt McCoy QB
    30. Atlanta (f/Min): Sean Weatherspoon LB
    31. Indianapolis: Devin McCourty CB
    32. New Orleans: Jason Pierre-Paul DE

2. JetFanInPA

ROUND TWO
    33. St Louis: Demaryius Thomas WR
    34. Detroit: Anthony Davis OT
    35. Tampa Bay: Patrick Robinson CB
    36. Kansas City: Terrence Cody DT
    37. Arizona (f/Den thru Phi): Everson Griffen OLB/DE
    38. NY Jets (f/Cle): Linval Joseph DL
    39. Oakland: Taylor Mays S/LB
    40. San Diego: Tyson Alualu DE
    41. Buffalo: Cam Thomas DT
    42. Tampa Bay: Carlos Dunlap DE
    43. Denver: Nate Allen S
    44. New England: Jahvid Best RB
    45. Denver: Alex Carrington DE
    46. NY Giants: Vladimir Ducasse OT/OG
    47. New England: Rob Gronkowski TE
    48. Carolina: Golden Tate WR
    49. Cleveland (f/SF): Morgan Burnett S
    50. Kansas City: Jerry Hughes OLB/DE
    51. Houston Chris Cook DB
    52. Pittsburgh: Dominique Franks CB
    53. Seattle (f/NE): Corey Wootton DE
    54. Cincinnati: Major Wright S
    55. Philadelphia: Daryl Washington LB
    56. Green Bay: Amari Spievy CB
    57. Baltimore: Eric Decker WR
    58. Arizona: Torrell Troup DT
    59. San Francisco (f/Dal): Dexter McCluster RB/WR/KR
    60. Seattle: Arrelious Benn WR
    61. NY Jets: Eric Norwood OLB/DE
    62. Atlanta (f/Min): Matt Tennant C
    63. Indianapolis: Brian Price DT
    64. New Orleans: Montario Hardesty RB

ROUND THREE
    65. St Louis: Dorin Dickerson TE/HB
    66. Detroit: Jonathan Dwyer RB
    67. Tampa Bay: Damian Williams WR
    68. Kansas City: Anthony McCoy TE
    69. Oakland: Earl Mithcell DT
    70. Philadelphia: Reshad Jones S
    71. Cleveland: John Jerry OL
    72. Buffalo: Ricky Sapp OLB/DE
    73. Miami: Jason Worlids OLB/DE
    74. Jacksonville: Myron Lewis DB
    75. Chicago: Darrell Stuckey S
    76. Jacksonville (f/NYG): Donald Butler LB
    77. Tennessee: Navarro Bowman LB
    78. Carolina: Lindsey Witten DE
    79. San Francisco: Koa Misi OLB/DE
    80. Arizona (f/Den): Jared Veldheer OT
    81. Washington (f/Hou): Al Woods DT
    82. Pittsburgh: Carlton Mitchell USF
    83. Atlanta: Austen Lane DE
    84. Cincinnati: Lamarr Houston DT
    85. Cleveland: Roddrick Muckelroy OLB/DE
    86. Green Bay: Tony Washington OT
    87. Philadelphia: JD Walton C/G
    88. Arizona: Jimmy Graham TE
    89. Arizona: Sean Lee ILB
    90. Dallas: Kyle Calloway OT
    91. San Diego: Toby Gerhart RB
    92. NY Jets (f/Cle): Mike Johnson OG/OT
    93. Minnesota: Jerome Murphy CB
    94. Indianapolis: Jeff Byers C
    95. New Orleans: Dekoda Watson LB
    96. Cincinnati: Javier Arenas CB
    97. Tennessee: Brandon Ghee CB
    98. Atlanta: D’Anthony Smith DT

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Nice job dude...

All of those trades make sense.

I have a strange feeling that Eric Norwood will be around at the end of the third round. I think the Jets would rather have an OLB like Worilds, Sapp, or Misi in the second over Norwood.

Brian Price is a first rounder. I have no idea how you can have him that though. Why?

4. mystikol

mystikol New Member

From what I've heard, Washington has already paid Haynesworth a tremendous portion of that contract, and what would be left over, should be traded, is pretty reasonable.

5. JetFanInPA

Thanks

I think Norwood comes off pretty early since 3-4 OLBs are always in demand. Norwood has drawn big comparisons to James Harrison too. I love Norwood as a prospect and don't see him being there in the 3rd round again. I wouldn't complain about Jason Worlids either. He looks like a better 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE and would be a fine pick in the 2nd round.

I've heard otherwise about Price. I previously had him going in the first round, but I've read teams have very mixed opinions on him. So in the end I had him falling a bit to the Indy in the 2nd. Scott Wright said Brian Price is definitely not a first rounder, which I think is a bold statement, but I'll take his word for it.

Also, for everyone, go NFLDraftcountdown.com and read the pre-draft chat session with Scott Wright on the home page. It'll give you plenty of insight about the draft and prospects and how a top analyst sees many prospects. It was a great read.

#5 JetFanInPA, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Eric Norwood is one of my favorite players in this draft. It was awesome watching him play.

Still, there are better NFL prospects at 3-4 OLB that will move ahead of him. Sapp and Misi will definitely go ahead of Norwood. Worilds should too, but injuries could push him back a little bit.

I think his size and his coverage abilities (or lack there of) will cause him to fall into the middle of the third round. I see Norwood fitting in better at 34 ILB than OLB. He's going to have to develop for a year or two.

Falling a bit? He fell all the way to the back of the second round. This is a guy that could go in the top twenty.

Price is the third best defensive tackle in this draft.

Here's a bold statement: Scott Wright sucks.

No, please don't.

Go read Gil Brandt's rankings instead.

7. mystikol

mystikol New Member

This was a lot of fun to read.

I almost feel like the Jets, in this scenario, should maybe trade down again out of the 2nd round. Obviously I'm not sure who, if anyone, would want to move up, but the Jets could drop down to around 68-69 and add another 5th rounder.

Around 68-69, they could very well still have their choice of Reshad Jones, Sapp, Worlids, or Misi, which is a good situation.

8. thebrickwall423

thebrickwall423 New Member

Good Job. All those scenarios are definitly plausible.

Got to agree with Mr. E on Price. He probably wont get past St. Louis if he drops to the 2nd round.

On the Jets, love the picks. It would be interesting if Griffen fell to us in this scenario and we would have our choice of Griffin and Joseph. I would have take Griffen because he is simply a beast and if we dont trade out of round 1, I really want him with our 29th pick.

9. JetFanInPA

Thanks for the feedback..

As for Gil Brandt, I can't say I trust anyone more than him. His rankings are normally pretty spot on. He put himself over the top when he ensured us that Tyson Jackson would be the #3 pick, which at the very least shows that he has some terrific sources. I don't agree with all of Scott Wright's rankings and ideas, but his scouting reports are top notch and it's probably my first or second favorite draft site.

We'll see about Price... I've heard top 20 pick and I've heard late 2nd or maybe 3rd round pick.. I planned on adding him in the mid 2nd round, but he just didn't fit.

If the Jets could trade down again from their 2nd rounder at 37, I'd definitely consider it, but they do need defensive line help pretty badly.

10. skeleton_frames

Great job, PA. I like the idea of having 2 2nd rounders and that 3rd...when you look at what's there at the end of the 1st, I don't this we'd be any worse off talent wise. I think you addressed our needs in order too. I love getting a guard in the 3rd.

If we sign Taylor, do you still think the Jets would grab Norwood at the end of the 2nd? Probably still a good value there.

11. Jam.

Jam. Banned

I almost wouldn't mind the Jets staying at 29 and taking JPP in that scenario

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This is the only thing I get. Aside from the fact I don't believe McCoy is a 1st round QB in this draft, why would Cleveland move up from 38 to 29 to get him? Who is Cleveland trying to jump? All the teams between 29 and 38 in your scenario would already have their QBs:

Maybe an arguement can be made for KC but I would think because of the Weiss connection they would pick Clausen at 5 if they wanted a QB. The team you state as the odd team out, Buffalo, picks after Cleveland in the second round (pick 41). I don't see the need to give up picks to move up for a player that's about to fall on your lap. But then again it's Cleveland.

13. skeleton_frames

I don't think JPP's ready to make an impact early. We're really weak at DE. I think there's way more value in turning that pick into Joseph and Johnson as done here. I love getting a DL than can play anywhere on the line and some guard depth.

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

If the Jets passed on Anthony Davis I'd be pretty pissed. I've been one of his biggest critics but you don't pass on that kind of talent at the end of the first. He's such a massively perfect fit it's not even funny. He can play LG or RT in the NFL, the two positions we'll need to cover in 2011 most likely, AND he can be the fill-in if D'Brick were to go down at LT.

15. Jam.

Jam. Banned

I disagree. Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas are our starting OLBs, and one of our defense's weaknesses is the lack of a rushing linebacker. If we use use Jason Pierre-Paul in a strictly situational pass rusher role it will enable him to develop comfortably throughout the season without too much pressure. That way, next season he may be ready to step into a starting role. Plus, JPP would be a damn good situational pass rusher for this upcoming season.

16. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I don't like JPP as a situational rusher, I think he's more the type that won't get a ton of playing time as a rookie. He's not smart enough on the field nor does he have the passrush moves to be relied on in that role. It's OK to have a one-dimensional guy in that spot, but I don't think he'll come into the NFL with any dimensions ready to go. Plus I think he's a 43 End, not a 34 OLB anyway.

17. skeleton_frames

Good point I didn't see that at first. I still like trading down for a 2nd and 3rd if you can get it, but I'd be good with Davis or Griffen there if we stay.

Taking Davis there and them spend time signing the guys already on our roster that we need to sign shows a committment to a long-term team, not just a win this year attempt, which I would say is what Tanny seems to be building.

18. Jam.

Jam. Banned

I have to admit, I haven't seen a lot of tape on JPP, but many sites say that he could be the best pure pass rusher in this draft, which is what I was basing my response on.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

JPP is all raw potential at this point. He has a lot to learn before his production begin to match his talent. If you are going to spend a 1st round pick on someone who is only going to be a situational pass rusher for you early on, I think it should be someone that's already pretty polished at rushing the passer like Graham, Morgan, Griffen...etc. Guys you know will be able to give you something with limited snaps. Now if you are looking for your DE or OLB of the future and don't mind limited production early, then go with JPP.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

This.

(filler)