Thoughts on Taylor Mays?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FriendlyGiantsFan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I think he's one of the more interesting prospects in this year's draft. The kid has a physical skillset that makes most scouts drool profusely. He's 6'3" and weighs in at 230. He has the frame to add another 15lbs without too much trouble. He also runs a legit 4.3 and can change directions well while moving. Finally, and this is what I love, is that this kid has both the ability AND the desire to absolutely decapitate opposing players.

Sadly, his football IQ is on par with the Ultimate Warrior's (that being his new legal name) IQ in general. He takes bad angles and has been exposed in coverage.

I can see him going as high as the teens or as late as the middle of the second round. I know it's early and we haven't had the combine yet, but what do you guys think? I personally see him having amazing workouts and going in the 1st round to a team that tries to make him an LB.

I don't follow college ball closely and I know some here are bonafied experts (Mr. Electric, I'm looking at you) in this field. What say you all?

2. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

He' former Cowboys safety Roy Williams. The type of palyer that would have been better in the league 15 years ago.

3. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I can't see him working out at safety unless he's strictly in the box. Any team that brings him in has him play LB, IMO. With the luck our teams have with things like this, watch the Pats bring him in and make him a stud ILB, or the Eagles bring him in and make him a fierce WILL.

4. ganggreen51

ganggreen51 New Member

i can totally see both of the scenarios happening but we don't need him

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I'm curious how far he's going to fall.

Is he an upgrade over Kerry Rhodes? Hell no. But I think he would be perfect, PERFECT in Eric Smith's role, that third safety/linebacker hybrid.

There's a couple dozen other guys I'd like to see us take ahead of him in the second round, but if we do take Taylor Mays, I wouldn't be sad. If good coverage skills can be taught, the New York Jets are the best team for him.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I can see him having a good career as a WILL... but being that would be a project pick I can't imagine a team doing that in the 1st rd...

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Thomas Davis 2.0

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I agree he can do what Smith and Ihedigbo do, but he'll go to high for that. There's no reason to go after a package player in the first two, or even three rounds.

9. sportzfanrl

sportzfanrl Banned

No thanks :jets:

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

In the other Mays thread from awhile back I had taht same remark, he could be a great "Doug Plank" type in the 46.

What do you think of the idea to turn him into a LBer MrE? As a 43 WILL as FGF stated or a 43 OLB. His pass rush skills would be extremely lacking and raw, but he would be a good cover guy with a ton of upside. That said he's going to go way to high for that type of project, just wondering how you think his skill set would translate. I think he could pull it off if he had the will to learn.

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This guy is all hype. The Jets can pick up a much more useful player than this. What is the use of getting another square peg in round hole workout warrior? They got one and I think/hope they learned their lesson.

By square peg, I mean a Rex Ryan defense calls for a way more athletic center field safety than Mays. So no forget about this guy..........

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think that's where he'll fit best as a pro, and I've been saying that for a while.

13. xeticus

xeticus Member

I would love for the Jets to get him in the first round. You know being a Dolfan and all. One of our draft gurus did an extensive right up on him. It seems from his perspective that he hits hard but he doesn't use great from with tackling. He makes lots of mental errors and is lacking lots of fundamental technique. He gets by on pure athletic ability but will be a project at the next level. He's an Al Davis sort of player.

He is so gifted that some team will snap him up in the 1st but he's going to need a LOT of coaching.

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He's 231lbs. If the Patriots draft him to play ILB, I'll probably start popping the corks because the Jets would have just won the AFC East.

15. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

Assuming he has the projected amazing 40 time, I cant see how he wont go to the Raiders they need a safety and Mays is an Al Davis type football player.

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

They drafted Mitchell to play that role and he's been hurt this year... Huff is a good player so they don't really need a S... it would be interesting to have them draft him as a LB though...

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think the Raiders might be moving Mike Mitchell to linebacker...they could lose Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard, but they'll probably franchise one of the two. Drafting Mays as a linebacker also makes sense for Oakland though.

Mike Huff has been a huge letdown in Oakland. I think they might let him go because of how much money he's making.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Can they be transition tagged? I really feel that the Raiders are going to have to franchise Seymour if they have any dreams of keeping him.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You know what? I completely forgot about the Richard Seymour situation. He'll most definitely be the guy that gets franchised in Oakland.

The Raiders will probably lose one of the two linebackers previously mentioned, and even with those guys on the roster, they still need to upgrade the outside linebacker spot opposite Thomas Howard.

Taylor Mays was born to get drafted by Al Davis.

20. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

vernon gholston #2