Thoughts on my draft strategy?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by Fiftynine, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Drafted last night. I'm a new coach in a league of mostly Gnts and Patsies fans. 10 teams, PPR. Aside from PPR pretty standard scoring except QB gets 4 pts for TD, 1 pt for completion, -1 for incompletion. Small money and I joined to help the commish fill an empty spot.

With that in mind, I figured I could be a bit more experimental than I would in my big money league (12 team, no ppr, standard scoring.)

I had the #6 overall pick. All of the stud RBs had gone. Turner and SJax were available. I'm not keen on either, but more so on SJax since he racks up yardage and 4 td's last year was an abarration. Both were ranked below any WRs and well below the top remaining player on my board.

So I took Aaron Rodgers in the 1st, 6th overall. I've never taken a quarterback that high. I figured the guy after me would take Turner or SJax then the guy after him would take the other. I was 1/2 right: the guy after me took Turner, then no one touched SJax so he fell back to the Turner guy.

In hindsight I think I should've taken one of those guys, if anything to break up that potentially monster RB core. Here's my team:

QB -Aaron Rodgers
    WR -DeSean Jackson
    WR -Miles Austin
    WR -Pierre Garcon
    RB -LeSean McCoy
    RB -Arian Foster
    w/r -CJ Spiller
    TE -Chris Cooley
    K -Bironas
    DEF -CIN
    BN -Forsett
    BN -Aromashodu
    BN -Jacoby Jones
    BN -Britt
    BN -Massaquoi
    BN -Neon Leon (last player I drafted)

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

With three receivers starting, I would have gone with Andre Johnson. Consistent beast every year, gets a ton of receptions and a ton of TDs. Then I would have hoped Rodgers, Brees, or Manning fell to me in round 2 or maybe gone with an RB.

It's not bad at all though. You have 2 nice receivers, though Jackson in PPR isn't as good. The runningbacks are good, too, I really like Foster and McCoy in PPR is good. Spiller and Forsett are worthy backups, I like that you grabbed 2 of them.

3. Fiftynine

Yeah, that's a good point. Had a hard time with taking a WR in the 1st though. I can see a WR, even of AJ's caliber, getting shut down in a game more than I see that happening to a QB of Rodgers' caliber. I think on balance Rodgers will net me more points in every game than Johnson. Dude is a beast though. And you're right, as it turned out, one of those QBs would've fallen to me in the 2nd.

4. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I was in the same spot in my money league and all three QB's (Rodgers, Brees, or Manning) were gone when it got back to me. I had the 6th pick and got Andre Johnson, the boobie prize for me was Shonn Greene. 6th and 7th were the toughest spots this year. In hind sight I wish I took Rodgers in the first.

5. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Drop Kenny Britt and pickup Mike Williams (seattle)
    Drop one of those other fools and pickup Steve Slayton if he's available. I scooped up foster, and I got Slayton off wavers just in case.

6. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I was just going to make this point.

With 5 stud RBs off the board (I assume CJ, AP, Rice, MJD, and Gore) I might have picked Andre Johnson at 6.
    1500 yards in back to back years, and in a PPR he gets a TON of catches.

However, you can't complain too much about Rodgers. He's my #1 ranked QB this year.
    Also, Spiller, McCoy and Foster should be solid PPR guys.

7. Fiftynine

Slayton was taken late before I could get him. I've gotta check on Williams. Thanks!

8. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

Avoid anyone on Seattle... your better off with rookie Mike Williams instead of draft bust Mike Williams.