This might be Shaun Ellis' last year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Dec 31, 2010.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Courtesy of www.thejetsblog.com

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I would hate to see Ellis go

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I don't get player jerseys when they are still on the team. Its a superstition of mine (they get hurt or traded when I do).

Ellis is my #1 priority when he no longer an active Jet.

He's been great for this team.

I wouldn't mind seeing him one more year, but its always better to get rid of them a year too soon than a year too late.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yeah its gunna suck. Like a long time friend moving away.

5. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

this isn't news. In my view, everyone who is even a semi-interested fan should know that this guy is going to be let go after this year. He has one or two years left max. They'll probably try to keep him, but they won't overpay at all. They'll look to get him on a 2 year veteran minimum type contract.

6. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

if the phins or pats pick him up im gonna be pretty pissed

7. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Regardless of whether Ellis is let go or not, we need some youth on that line. It's been the biggest weakness on the defense this year.

That being said, Ellis has been consistently awesome up until lately. It would suck to see him go.

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I think Ellis gets resigned for 1 more year where he plays a little bit more limited role. We need to get younger on the DLine but the Big Kat has some left.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It is time for him to go and for the Jets to reap the savings in the cap (assuming there is one next year). He has been virtually invisible this year.

After watching that Atlanta-NO game on Monday night and seeing Abraham wreck havoc all game long while the Jets can't put pressure on the QB with 6 and 7 man blitzes, it confirmed what I have thought and said for a long time. We kept the wrong DE and traded away a difference maker. Abraham is a one man wrecking crew. Ellis is merely an above average defensive end who is clearly at the end of a career.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He'd give the same production or less with them so it wouldn't be a big deal.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

We have the best Center in the game due to J. Abe not being here.

Why this fact is ignored constantly is beyond me.

Ellis was never going to be had for a 1st rounder. And J. Abe was a diva who never played when it mattered. Are we that quick to forget?

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He's been the definition of solid since he's been drafted. His run stopping abilities and gap control is still very stout.... I can see why we'd go younger, but he's still a good guy to have in the rotation. I'd like him back, but in a lesser role with added depth to our DE rotation.

13. biggundewayne63

agreed but would still be painful to see him in one of those unis

14. biggundewayne63

abraham was the kerry rhodes of d lineman

15. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

No. Just him apparently.

16. BlueDevil73

BlueDevil73 New Member

Ellis has to stay - We need to draft a young DE to play opposite him and develop into a pass rusher. He needs to be a Jet for at least one more season.

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He hasn't been the force he used to be and RTs are having an easier time setting the edge against him. I love Ellis but our DLine needs to get younger and unfortunately part of that is going to mean letting Ellis go.

Kansas City delenda est.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

We run a 3-4 defense. We're never going to have a DE acting as a pass rusher.

Kansas City delenda est.

19. BlueDevil73

BlueDevil73 New Member

I am aware that we run a 3-4, I was not aware that 3-4 DE have no pass rush ability. So I guess we can just plug two second tier DE's into the game and live with it?

I really do not want to get into a pissing match here but if you do not think having good DE's in a 3-4 is important you are dead wrong. Quality DE's dictate changes to protection schemes. A quality DE can not be left to be single blocked by the OG - someone will need to help account for him. This in turn helps free up the OLB's. Also if an offense is only concerned with the edge and sets protection to take away your "rushers" whos left to get to the QB the nose guard in a 3-4...nope his job is to occupy the center and the bsg.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Bruce Smith and Richard Seymore say hi.

No, 3-4 DE is not a calssic big sack number position, but you need to be able to create some pressure and shed pass blockers. Of our current Dline only Ellis and and Pryce show ability to do that consisitantly and they are both on the wrong side of 30. We'er not looking for a Dwight Freeny but we need more than pressure after 5 or 6 seconds at best from the down lineman.