This loss is on the players, not the coaches.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RapZiLLa54, Sep 17, 2012.

1. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

I see some people here talking about how missing Revis was a factor and some heat on Rex and co but lets face facts here this loss is on our players.

The defensive scheme and play calling was actually great. We had 4 plays (3 on 3rd down) were we had free runners at big Ben and all 4 led to 0 sacks. 2 on Harris, 1 on Landry, 1 on Scott which led to an intentional grounding penalty.

Then another 2 or 3 where we had him wrapped up and he just shacked our guys off like they were nothing.

The only guys on defense who knew how to tackle were Pace, Pouha and #50 who was really the only bright spot on defense with 2 sacks and a few tackles. So thats 8 potential sacks (4 by great design) and we came up with 2....

Then you have the panic heave on 3rd and 16 which somehow Cro over runs and doesn't even contest. Big Ben gave us a gift wrapped pick and we did nothing with it but let it put 7 on the board.

My only problem with the Coaching scheme is why we dont have a "nascar" formation on 3rd and 7+. Coples barely played.... We're playing one of the worst offensive lines and we don't put our most athletic pass rusher on the field? Wilerson/Coples/Ellis inside with Pace/Maybin outside. Stop putting maybin in the middle and making him bull rush, its a waste! What I don't get is we saw this in the preseason but haven't seen it yet during the real season....

Typically I'd blame the defense for being gassed because of the offense but lets face it, the Jets defense couldn't get off the god damn field to save their lives and the Jets offense didn't become anemic until the 2nd half. It was also pretty obvious Sanchez got really rattled from that helmet to helmet shot, and while I'm not a big Tebow supporter, I was pretty shocked he wasn't more involved after that point.

While Sanchez was clearly off but it wasn't all on him. Our WRs couldn't catch, we had about what 7-10 drops, most from Holmes. Nothing breaks confidence more than when you make a good pass after a few terrible ones and your WR drops it. When it rains it pours.

The sky isn't falling but I'm very disappointed with our defense. You want to be top 5, you need to make the plays that are handed to you on a silver platter. Bell made a game changing play but of course the first game changing miscue from the replacement refs happens to the Jets lol.

This dolphins game is our real test because our defense needs to respond and respond big time.

#1 RapZiLLa54, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

100% on the players. Dropped passes and missing open receivers. More on his receivers than Sanchez imo. Cromartie didn't play well on a day we really counted on him. Landry played poorly missing wide open sacks. Our LBs tackled poorly again. The only LB I thought played well was Pace. Our pass rush was ok but when they would get close to Ben a lot of times they missed him. ST fumble.

A lot went wrong yesterday and Pitt is a tough place to play when you don't bring your A game. I thought the Offensive and Defensive play calling was good.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Loss was on everyone, not just the players, not just the coaches but everyone. If the game plan doesn't work then you have to try something else. We didn't spread the field as much as I would of liked. Did we run any screens to off-set the Steeeler's blitzing? Players played like shit, but I think this is a full team failure. Now I like the plays that were called, but I think after a certain point they should of tried something else.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It was not only on the coaches, to be sure, but how can anyone say it was only on the players? The coaches did not get this team ready to play, and made ZERO adjustments on O. And the entire organization is to blame for not having a good RB to play with Greene. Powell shows some ability, but is not up to carrying a decent load. Greene is not an every down back, and that has been evident for some time.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah I hate when people just blame the players. It's up to the coaches to have the right game plan set and implemented. Greene was running hard till he got hit in the head. I would def prefer an all around back like a Ray Rice that is strong fast and physical. Not too many Ray Rices come along but we def need that type of back.

6. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

So what would you have changed defensively? Considering they were getting pressure but our players couldn't execute? Landry with 2 very bad penalties isn't the coaches. Missing our best defensive player, the gameplan was very good, the execution wasn't.

Offensively, yes I would have liked to see some more adjustments and not the same god damn wildcat play over and over again. When its about 75% players and 25% on the coaches, yes I'm going to be more pissed at the players execution.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The fact that we were down only 10 in the 4th Qtr after going, what, 2 hours without a fucking completion is impressive. Offense has to better.

8. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

It's also on the GM. You can get by on scheme and smoke and mirrors for only so long.

1) Nothing resembling a pass rusher since John Abraham.
    2) A group of slow, mediocre running backs who can't make plays (and provide little to no receiving threat) when you're supposed to be "ground and pound."
    3) A RT situation that gets (barely, by minor miracle) addressed in Week 4 of the preseason.
    4) Relying on a 63-year old starting safety (Bell).
    5) Having the stupidity to say your roster is filled with "Victor Cruz"es, then to declare Caleb Schlauderaff as a shining example of this.
    6) Gifting Santonio Holmes, a guy other teams view as radioactive, 50 M while playing hardball with the best CB in the league.
    7) No backup Center on your roster, so when Mangold can't play, your QB gets annihilated on national TV by the Baltimore Ravens.
    8) A startling lack of talent and depth at the skill positions: receivers who can't seem to break press coverage or gain any separation 1-on-1 or beat zone coverage. I guess Mr. T deserves credit for signing Chaz Schillens, and Scotty McKnight 10 times.
    9) Touting Dustin Keller when your rival in the division, which already has 2 guys that are at least twice as good, is continually trying to improve at the position, working out veterans you don't even bother to look at while you sign rugby players and the Josh Bakers and Konrad Reulands of the world.
    10) Signing a WR (playmaker Clyde Gates) who couldn't make the Miami Dolphins roster.

The list could go on and on...

Cromartie's strength is supposed to be his coverage ability and ball skills. Yet on the Wallace TD he just stands there and watches helplessly, instead of trying to make any kind of play on the ball or the receiver.

#8 al_toon_88, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

This play makes me absolutely sick