This is too good not to post lol

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYGANGGREEN, Dec 4, 2018.

1. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

This just sums up the Jets year I actually got a good healthy laugh out of it.

https://deadspin.com/jets-overcome-16-0-lead-with-thrilling-come-from-ahead-1830822361/amp

For once, everything seemed to be going against the Jets.

They got a pick-six—their first takeaway in six games, a genuinely historic run. They blocked a punt andan extra point. They scored the game’s first 16 points. They were primed to beat the Titans for their first win since Week 6. But then they got it together by failing to reach the end zone on offense and by screwing up just enough on Tennessee’s final drive to blow it at the last minute. Your final: Titans 26, Jets 22. Coupled with the Cardinals’ upset of the Packers in Green Bay, the loss moved the Jets into the No. 3 position for next year’s draft. A perfect outcome all around.

ADVERTISEMENT

But it was dicey for a while there. The Titans had gone zero for their first 10 on third down. Safety Jamal Adams and inside linebacker Darron Lee of the Jets combined for 19 tackles, a sack, and two tackles for a loss. Running back Isaiah Crowell rushed for 98 yards and averaged 4.7 yards per carry.

There were bright spots, however. Todd Bowles punted from the Titans’ 40 to open the third quarter, which is what he does. The offense was held to two field goals after halftime. Josh McCown, in his third start in place of rookie Sam Darnold, averaged a paltry 4.3 yards per attempt. But the Jets saved their best stuff for last, after they punted to the Titans with a 22-19 lead, giving them the ball at their own 14 with 1:46 to play. Tennessee had one timeout remaining, but the Jets made sure they never had to use it.

On first down, Mariota scrambled for 11 yards and ran out of bounds, and even though the Titans were called for holding, Jets cornerback Morris Claiborne offset that by getting flagged for defensive holding. Only eight seconds ticked off the clock. After Mariota threw incomplete on the replayed down, Jets defensive linemen Henry Anderson and Leonard Williams sacked him for a one-yard loss. Ah, but linebacker Jordan Jenkins was whistled for illegal hands to the face away from the play. As a result, the Titans picked up five yards and a first down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Next, on first and 10 from the 19, Mariota scrambled out of the pocket and got upfield when this happened:

Mariota picked up 25 yards. He also managed to recover his own fumble. Oh, and cornerback Trumaine Johnson was flagged for a facemask penalty away from the play, which tacked on another 15 yards. That’s three Jets penalties on the Titans’ first four plays, which was some great hustle. That set the Titans up at the Jets’ 39 with 1:11 to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

On the next play, Mariota whipped a pass down the middle to tight end Anthony Firkser for a 25-yard gain, which put the Titans in field goal range. Not that it mattered. Two plays later, the Titans were looking at third and 7 from the Jets’ 11. They converted their first third down of the game—and then some:

After they got the ball back, the Jets put a bow on it all with a McCown interception. That’s the way to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bowles later called the performance “disgusting” and twice said he was “fuming” over what was the Jets’ sixth straight defeat. He also told reporters Darnold “could have played” but didn’t because “needed more reps” in practice after returning from a foot sprain. That Darnold already has nine starts to his credit didn’t seem to matter. Even for this team, and even in this season, it was a scintillating way to lose.

LOLJETS
    [​IMG]

A Roundup Of Jets Fans Looking Like Hostages

[​IMG]

The Jets Defense Somehow Made Matt Barkley Look Competent

Bart Scott Rips Todd Bowles As Jets Combust
    Dom Cosentino
    Dom Cosentino is a staff writer

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It was one of the more spectacular losses.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It was definitely scary. Up 16-0, completely dominating, I was worried. The Jets kept making just enough mistakes to show you who they really were though and kept the door open for the Titans, who played horrendously, to come back. I was worried McCown would actually try to use Enunwa or Kearse. That would have definitely given the Jets a nightmare of a win. Or better play calling. Or not committing 100 penalties. Or any form of a Red Zone offense. But no, the Jets found a way to get into Top 3 Draft position, against all odds. Truly remarkable!

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now the trick is we hold on to this excellent draft position. Its gonna be tough up in Buffalo but we should come out with a loss. I have a feeling Indy will be rooting for us to lose out as well as that second pick we owe them will be 35th overall I think. STEJ OG

SOJAZ, The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Last year in a home playoff game, the Great Andy Reid had a 21 to 3 lead over the Titans and proceeded to put up a donut in the second half and lose 22 to 21. Fortunately for Andy Reid, John Dorsey, who drafted Mahomes, Hill and Kelce took the fall.

FJF and Dierking like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The game winning drive for the Titans was the epitome of the Todd Bowles era. Second down sack to setup 3rd and long --> Illegal Hands to the Face. Next play a 30 yard Mariota run with a fumble --> Facemask.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I imagine Reid had input on those picks. And Dorsey was fired because of his communication style IIRC.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

“Todd Bowles punted from the Titan’s 40, which is what he does.”

Great stuff

9. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

BUT ... only the 2nd worst loss we've had vs the Titans. The Mark Sanchez, 5 turnover, season killing loss in his final season still holds the top spot.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well like last year we hold another tricky situation...40 percent of this Board will want us to win whatever games remain cause "you play to win the game"

But like the hollow victory against KC last year just does more harm than good come Draft day in April...because of that win Mac had to use picks and move up for Darnold

The team is in Desperate mode to win badly when it should have been at the START of the past 3 seasons....but Coach Clowney needs a respectable exit

So let's "get smart and lose"..,sorry to say

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

In pro football, the three score lead is generally considered safe. That is, any lead of 15 or more points is usually a guarantee that a team will win the game.

In the history of pro football, which includes teams which began in the 1920s, 30s, 40s and 50s, along with all the teams that started when the Jets did (1960), NO TEAM HAS BLOWN MORE LEADS OF 15 POINTS OR MORE THAN OUR BELOVED NEW YORK JETS.

Seventeen to be exact.

Just thought you might want to know.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's facts like that that really have me questioning my sanity, sticking with this team for over 55 years. :eek:

nycarl, Cman68 and Endlessly Counting like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the game, we showed we can play, had the lead and momentum but pulled back and made the game come down to the final minutes before moving up to the 3rd spot in the draft.

14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I am also thankful for Arizona somehow sticking a fork in the Packers' season and putting a team with similar needs below the Jets in draft order. That's critical. Now the Jets just have to not screw up and win one of these.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The New York Jets

"We're really good at being bad"

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I would put that number closer to 80% because if you don't play to win, why play?

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

To get paid ?

18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

During the game it is tough to root against the Jets. For three hours I don't think straight I want to win. After the fact the loss is the best thing. We need the pick. Just lose. Why for three hours do I want to win?

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

That’s it in a nutshell.

Hoping Sam has a great game this week, putting together scoring drives and Buffalo scores 2 punt returns to win.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Nice,
    Special teams is the one thing nice we have and you want to steal that away just before Christmas. You fucking Grinch !!!