This Christmas

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Nov 30, 2014.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Can seriously fuck itself.

xxedge72x likes this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

What happened gus?

3. gustoonarmy

I have zero cash, (no pay rise in 7 f'n years). I ask people to PLEASE not but me anything as I don't need or want anything, plus its going to make me feel even more like shit on the 25th, but no I am being ignored. So when the big day arrives I will have to either pretend to be happy about receiving gifts or not hide my feelings then get accused of being ungrateful. Can't win.

Christmas can be the worst time of the year for folks on low or no incomes.

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Don't worry gus. Folks who gets you present probably know your situation so they won't wait anything in return. Still try to enjoy the day with your loved ones.

5. gustoonarmy

Yeah they know because I've told them, but then still lie and say they haven't got anything. Firefox history tells me how much they are lying. can't wait to feel like shit

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Is your Mom one of them?

_

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

sorry Gus, I have felt this way too...Best thing you can do is be straight forward with those you care about. As for the job, any luck looking elsewhere?

I need to find a better job myself here.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When I first met my wife we started dating early in the year and things were great but I was hit HARD financially that fall prior to Christmas .. I was pretty young but it was the first time in my life that I had to seriously worry about how to afford the next meal and budgeting to afford the crappy place I rented was almost an impossible task. I thank the higher powers everyday that I did not have kids in that point of my life...

I was feeling much like you are feeling now leading into that Christmas. I had no money and told everyone not to buy me anything because there was just no way I could return the favor. I felt doubly horrible that I wouldn't be able to buy anything for my new girlfriend in our first christmas together.

I feel for you gustoon because you are dead on about how this is the worst time of year for the low income people. But if there is any silver lining in all of this it's that you find the people who love you. In my situation, that new girlfriend and her family gave me gifts and told me not to return the favor- that year no questions asked. There was no sarcasm, etc. I felt truly loved and it was a moment where I knew I had a special woman...

My advice to you is to do what you can, no matter how small it is but don't worry so much when receiving your gifts. You told your family that you don't want anything and they presumably know that it's difficult for you to give. So relax and be gracious for the gifts they give you and know that it shows they obviously love you and you will get them back in time. Part of the holiday is learning how to receive so just be happy for what you have and show it and it will go longer than any gift anyway..

Jets Esq., 74 and Brook! like this.
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

gustoonarmy, anyway you can grab a seasonal/temporary 2nd job, e.g. in a department store to earn some extra loot? Granted, it'd be a pain in the neck working longer hours during the holiday season but again it's only temporary.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Gus, you got any skills in the kitchen? Serious question. Away back in the day before I was riding high in the one percent I used to make a huge batch of black bean salsa and my grandma's cucumber salad and gave everybody a jar of each. Cost me probably thirty bucks tops, and everybody appreciated it. A lot more than most of the stupid Chinese crap they got from everyone else. Nobody wants another fucking scented candle or goofy socks.

If not, just grin and bear it. The holidays have become a pathetic arms race and you are under no obligation to contribute to the escalation whether you can afford to or not. Be strong.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Christmas isn't about getting or giving presents. It's Jesus' birthday.

BeastBeach likes this.
  12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm getting my immediate family cards, I'm giving my fiance a four day early present of a wedding, my sister and I already agreed to not get each other anything since money is tight.

I used to hate the idea of Secret Santa. Now I love it. I only have to buy one person gifts and there's a money limit on it? Best idea ever.

13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Yeah now that I'm older i honestly just hate holidays. The forced gift buying idea is just awkward, and fake. I'd prefer to just not do any gift exchanges. Let's save our money, and count the days till the 6 months of winter are over.

14. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

This is the month I Skip meals, it sucks. But lots of good stuff under $5 at Five Below along with the used section at Barnes and nobles gift wise.

15. Jesus

Jesus Active Member

Damn right!

16. JStokes

I thought Ramadan was in the summer?

_

Umphpool likes this.
  17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Just ask the Virgin Mary. She had to give birth in a stable.

18. JStokes

Too bad they didn't keep placenta's back then. That could have been used to cure cancer, lupus, the AIDS, etc.

_

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The day they can get the white labratory rats to fuck each other in the ass is the day they'll cure the AIDS..

j/k, j/k

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member