Things not as bad as they appear.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by emania55, Oct 5, 2011.

1. emania55

emania55 Member

Look I hate to be the voice of reason but CHILL THE FUCK OUT. we have just had 2 bad losses. And while I will be accused of being an optimist or a homer for this thread I will make it anyway.

Our Pass Defense is 2nd in the league (first in a lot of categories.)
    Our Scoring Defense not including the 4td's scored on our o is tied for 4th.
    Our much maligned Offense is 11th in scoring.

So we are scoring and we are playing defense.
    Now yes our o-line is playing like shit and yes our run game is about 1 yard per carry less than last year.
    And while this week is vital to win I would just like to point out things are not as bad as they seem.
    So chill the fuck out.

If we can gain 1 yard more per carry (not easy)
    And if we can stop turning the ball over.
    When Mangold comes back we will be fine. (maybe ahead of last year.)

#1 emania55, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I agree. We'll be fine, regardless of whether we beat the Pats this weekend (though it would be nice just because it would be huge for our chances of winning the division and thus getting at least one home playoff game). But we've had worse regular season low points, like the Falcons loss in this regime's first year and the 45-3 game last year. This is still one of the best teams in the NFL. Once Mangold comes back, the line will be a lot better, which will make the offense a lot better, which will take pressure off the defense, and things will fall into place. Don't forget the defense was actually very good last week; the Ravens got most of their points with their own D.

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Just because there's still plenty of time to turn things around doesn't discount the fact that this team seems to have some serious problems right now.

After some of the poor play we've seen so far, as well as some of the comments we've heard from current and former players, just saying, "chill out, everything is going to be fine" doesn't hold much water right now. As a fan of course I'm hoping that they go 12-0 for the rest of the season and win the SB, but you can't fault anyone for having some major worries at this point.

4. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Warning to the OP: Any attempt to create a positive thread about the Jets this week will get shit on before post #10.

But yeah. My opinion of the team hasn't shifted since the pre-season and it is positive too.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

We need to get Mangold back healthy and Hunter needs to start playing good, If that happens well be good.

6. emania55

emania55 Member

I'm not saying everything is going to be fine we do have major problems.
    I'm saying people need to stop shouting for everyone's head and panicking and calm down.

also thanks I know I'll get shit on for this post.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And since when did the stats give the complete picture of a football team?

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Stats aren't the best thing to use through 4 games. They're starting to get more usable, but the Jets run D is still listed as one of the worst, mostly because of one game.

And either way, you can't take away points scored when our offense was on the field from the defense, and then NOT take away points scored from out offense when they weren't on the field. We scored 17 points last week. 3 by the offense.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Yeah we'll be fine whatever that means.

10. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

We beat the patriots and everything is peachy again.

We lose to the patriots and we are going to fight an uphill battle and get a little luck in order to end of where we thought we would this season (division champs)

11. HOI

HOI Active Member

Im waiting till the game thread this Sunday at 4:21pm when Brady converts a 3rd and 11...AAAAAHHHH!!!
    "Im done...",
    "We have NO PASS RUSH!",
    "This team is average at best",
    "IS David Harris a bust?"

Then at some point between 4:15 - 7:30 when Greene gets stopped for no gain....AAAAAHHHHH!..
    "Greene is a bust",
    "Should we trade Santonio, Mangold, and Revis, for McFadden?",
    "Sanchez doesnt hand the ball off well...should we trade up for Luck?"

12. NickD

NickD New Member

Going into the Bye Week at 4-3 or 3-4 is expected. I didn't think we'd know what kind of offense we had until then. We have a lot of new starters and backups, so time is needed to figure out the best way to use players and optimize plays for the personel.

Schedule is soft after the bye, so we can easily put in a run and go 10-6 or 11-5. 9-7 could get us a wild card if we beat the right teams.

13. TheGreenCantona

Well, I actually think things are exactly as they appear, ie 2-2.

The (not so) funny thing is that I thought the team actually had progressed when the offense seemed functional against the cowboys and the jaguars.

I agree with you on the defensive side of the ball, I have complete confidence in that unit to bounce back whenever they have a bad game.

I have no confidence in our offense, from the OC to the QB to the o-line to the RBs, and that is why we will be a 9-7 team this season.

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Same here. As I said it in another thread ...
    I think we have very good players on this roster, and a good coaching staff. We're returning almost every starter on both sides of the ball since we left the field in January.
    Are a couple of bad games supposed to make me think they all forgot how to play? I really don't get the way some Jet fans overreact to every loss.

#14 truthbtold, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  15. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

I really think not having a full training camp hurt this team more than others for some reason. The fact that we for some reason decided to become a passing team in a year without a full training camp to prepare makes no sense. Our defense is fine, our offense sucks, we need to revert to the offense we used in the playoffs, run as default pass when the opportunity for success presents itself. It just baffles me how, the one area our offense seems to excel in is the no huddle offense and we did not utilize it AT ALL against a team like Baltimore, horrible.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yes, we can all be optimistic and say that only 1/4 of the season has been played and it is a long season, but the fact of the matter is, is that this week IS huge.

Without a win here, we allow ourselves for absolutely no wiggle room in the future. How many losses would we be "allowed" in order to miss the playoffs if we lost this game? Maybe 3 other games and no more than 1 divisional loss.

We have to pull out a win this week, if we do so, then we will be right were we need to be and the two past losses arent as important.

I think the optimism should be held off for a week, and then we'll see where the Jets sit

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

thats not even scratching the surface.

18. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Listen its how you play in December and January that defines you. Look at the Chargers. I can give you at least 3 or four years they wouldn't have minded being 2-2 after four games. Also Giants in 07 looked like one of the worst teams in the league after two games, had a coach that was hanging by a thread and a lot of dissent in the locker room. They end up winning the super bowl. I can name a ton teams who started fast and ended up being a pretty bad team and teams that started slow and ended up being great. I can also name plenty of teams, including the 2010 and 2009 Jets that at points during the season looked like less than a contender and ended up making a legit run at this thing.

Both lines are concerns right now but the story of the Jets 2011 season is far from written.

19. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I've asked this question repeatedly but have yet to get an answer. What does "we'll be fine" mean? Does it mean we're Super Bowl bound?

20. colleen74

colleen74 Member

What the heck is it going to be like here on Monday if the Jets win???

I can hear the crickets chirping already.