The way I see the Jets: Superbowl contenders 07

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ANJI, Dec 31, 2006.

1. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Love the coach and the rebuilding, but by what Chad has shown you and what the team has done this season.............. you have to believe this a title contending team. As a title team that means we have to try and put the best team we can on the field, for the next two years.

WideOut Drew Bennett: Big postion reciever coming off two sub-par 50 catch years after a breakout year in 2004. Is a converted Quarterback, is very cheap in a proven guy and would be a great Third wideout.
    -OR-
    TightEnd Daniel Graham/Eric Johnson: Chad could use a Bigtime tightend who can put up big numbers. A Two Tightend set with two guys being able to catch and block would seem to be a very good set with chad and Washington .

Safty Michael Lewis/Deon Grant: Quickest and cheapest way to help the secondary is at Safty. Big time Safties only make 4 million a year, on this guys could be had for 1 million and they would be an upgrade over Coleman.

-BUt if the Jets are going to steal a cornerback from a divison rival, I would much rather them take Nate Clements over Asante Samuel.-

FullBack Justin Griffith: Starting fullingback off the best running team in the NFL And would also help greatly in the running game.

Guys that will probably be gone:
    Kimo von Oelhoffen, Justin McCareins, Curtis Martin, Tim Dwight, Eric Barton, Kevin Barlow, Kevin Barlow.

Draft Picks:
    Lynch or NTQuinn Pitcock/Marcus Thomas
    Bush or NT or OLB(Don't really know who's a OLB coming out of college)
    OLB
    OT/CB
    Aslong as the Run Stopping and Runningback are addressed, that is all the Jets need in this draft.

Hobson is a keeper and play maker at inside LineBacker. BThomas is showing to be a great two way Defender in the pass rush and stopping the. And DRobertson is showing alot more then I thought he had. Not too manying places these team really needs to upgrade. The Pass rush and Run stuffing up the middle needs to be alittle better and should both be fixed with a couple of players. And the Offense with Chad only really needs one player on the team to be the big hitter and that's runningback.
    Jets very well be in the superbowl in a year or two. Anybody else agree???

2. Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan Banned

why blue font

3. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

why so many changes? this core jets currently have play well together...i'd like to keep most of the guys around if possible...

4. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I like that you have the Jets cutting Barlow twice.

They should cut him, resign him, and then cut him again. Just to make it more painful.

I hate Barlow.

5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I thought it was Kevan Barlow, and why are we dropping two of them? Also WHY WOULD YOU GET RID OF BARTON?

6. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I don't diagree that we should get a big WR to replace Mcareins or a Fb to replace Askew (although I will admit I do like both of the positions can be upgraded )

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Neither Pitcock nor Marcus Thomas are NFL nose tackles, let alone 3-4 nose tackles.

If we need an upgrade for Erik Coleman, he's on the roster already; Eric Smith. Although Coleman is an EXCELLENT tackler.

Tim Dwight is our third receiver, whom always seems to find his way to the first down marker. No way we cut him based on an injury, plus he'd be #3 in the league in punt return averages had he not gotten hurt.

Griffith is the only one on that list that I'd really want. other then that, it's a bunch of unnecessary changes. We do need another bookend to Ellis,

8. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I feel like Eric Smith might be Eric Coleman. Not that I am against this type of player, he is the same freaking guy. Tim Dwight is towards the end of his career and at the very least the Jets could use an understudy. Michael Grifith would be great but I would be surprised if he lasted till the pcik ~#24. Go with line people and we will be great.

9. ANJI

ANJI New Member

THe core of the team is set. Kimo von Oelhoffen, Justin McCareins, Curtis Martin, Tim Dwight, Eric Barton, Kevin Barlow.... these guys aren't the core.

Looking at this team, it's maybe 4-5 players away from being a great two way team. WHich is great for 22 starters sport, I don't think that is very many changes. Our run D would be better with another good 300 pounder up front and another 6-4 type outside line backer. Somebody has to leave the team and I think Hobbson is better inside then Barton. I mean He doesn't have to go, but 4 million is alot for a guy who is going to be the teams back up.

A Big target for chad and a big play runningback would be only four changes the team needs to make to be a big tim team. THat doesn't seem like too much. I think the Jets are really close.

10. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Not even the Florida Kid??? He looks like he could get much bigger to me. Well a NT should be our first get really when you consider that a front three that always takes up 5 blocks helps the Pass Defense alot. Probably more then siging Asante Samuel.

YOu think Eric Smith is that good??? I don't know, other then Rhodes, I don't trust any of our safties in coverage, which is what we need since Rhodes is great in the box. Eric could be all we need though.

And I don't Tim Dwight at all. THe guy is small, coming off an injury and he really wasn't that good returning punts. I though Washington in his couple weeks of returning punts had more of an impact then DWight had all season.

I just wondering does anybody else feel this team is close to contending. I don't what changes are going to be made, but a couple of changes I think is all this team needs to win a superbowl, IMHO.
    1)Big Target for Chad, COuld be a tight end or a wideout
    2)Big play running
    3)Big block eating Noise
    4)Big OLB to attack the QB, hold the edge on the run and play in coverage
    THat's all the team really needs. We should move Drob and Hobbson. We could use a real fullback and one more play maker in the secondary, but I would definitly do those four.

Soory about the Blue.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree that we need to add someone along the line, whether it's moving Robertson to end and bringing in a nose tackle or vise versa. I also agree that a speed rushing outside linebacker would do us good, but I don't really understand the need you seem to have for another receiver. We have two starting wideouts combining for nearly 2,000 yards this year. Drew Bennett isn't going to come here to be a backup, when he's a proven starter.

Erik Coleman is your prototypical strong safety. A very active player who makes a lot of tackles, and comes up to stop the run. He's not a big playmaker, but we need someone to stick in coverage while Rhodes roams the fields. Look at the problems the Cowboys have. They have two safeties who want to make plays, and there's no balance there. Erik Coleman provides balance and I believe that Eric Smith is going to be a player one day.

12. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

in that case, you plug in holes one by one...don't do it all at once like the giants did otherwise team chemistry might be ruined...

13. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

so what holes are to be plugged?

14. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

dont like it much, to different from our current core.

players i really really want to draft:
    Adams or Lynch, Woodley, Leonard, Weddle (for his S/CB/Nickel and punt returning skills)... could you imagine that day one?.... yea me niether.

15. Pride

Pride New Member

my jets mock offseason so far is cut blalock, barlow, mccareins, askew, barrett, ramsey, Von Oelhoffen. I pray to god we could sign adalius thomas, and asante samuel. draft rd1 Lynch, rd 2 Amobi Okoye rd2 LaMarr Woodley(best available RG or RT if we are able to get Adalius Thomas) rd3 Leonard

16. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

adalius thomas would be a huge signing. that would be a very good offseason.

i dont think leonard will be there in the third. jets and steelers are the two teams who really like leonard. steelers would most likely take him with theire third.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

McCareins has really stepped it up the last month.

Maybe he will be cut, but I am proud of his play lately.

18. Pride

Pride New Member

I would think long and hard about Leonard round 2 if thats the case. I want Lynch round 1 but I think the Giants will take him ahead of us round 1.

19. Mangini6881

Mangini6881 New Member

Justin has done well as the deep WR threat. I think most of his catches have been 15 yrds or over (mostly 40 and 50 yrd catches). What we need is a consistent Plaxico Burress 6 ft 5 type WR. I think our first round pick should be a Dwayne Jarrett type WR. Our D is fine and we can upgrade it threw FA and the later rounds of draft. We NEED a playmaking WR or TE that can both stretch the field and go over the middle. LC is good and Cotch is coming on but in the perfect world LC is the 1, Dwayne Jarrett is the 2 and Cotch is the slot guy. I would give up my 1st and 2nd to move up in the 1st and get a WR. I believe we have 2 2nd roudners this yr (washington?) so why not try.

20. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

the way giant fans have been bitching about burress the whole season...jets might have a chance to sign burress himself...lol