The War on Drugs

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by KingRoach, Mar 23, 2016.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I was in a haji mart and on my way out I checked out the front page as I tend to do.

Apparently a senior Nixon staffer did an interview 20 years ago candidly admitting that the war on drugs was started as a way to be able to go after hippies and blacks (Nixon really didn't like hippies or blacks).

I don't really watch the news but I don't see any links by major networks I guess they're busy talking about Belgium and the election non stop to report on something that a majority of Americans would find very interesting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...gs-tool-target-black-people-article-1.2573832

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

3. KingRoach

Are you suggesting that Trump doesn't like hippies or blacks either?

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You mean there were actually politicians out there who actually lied to the people they were elected to serve? You mean that there were actually politicians out there that operated in ways that were wholly self-serving? OMF'inG!

Good thing that doesn't happen anymore.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 74, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    KingRoach likes this.
  6. KingRoach

I don't think you fully appreciate the ramifications of the war on drugs. It's a bigger deal than "read my lips no new taxes" and "I did not have sex with that woman"

IMO it would equate to Chaney saying that their administration helped bring down the towers to give the US an excuse to invade Iraq.

Its kinda a big deal. I doubt you care about prison population so I'll just mention the $1 trillion that we've spent on the drug war. I assume that you're the type that wants lower taxes.... and you're OK with $50 billion being spent annually on an orchestrated war?

#6 KingRoach, Mar 24, 2016
    alleycat9 and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Nixon shmixon... this is how it went down, fam

8. Ralebird

Assume all you want. You don't know shit.

IDFjet likes this.
  9. KingRoach

So you're the one person in the country that doesn't want lower taxes? Bc that's the only thing I assumed.

The question mark at the end of "and you're ok with $50 billion a year being spent on an orchestrated war" means that it was a question.

Maybe you have your reasons and you do think the war on drugs is just regardless of its origins.

But good one with the "you don't know shit". I was like wow this man is a master of insults.

Edit: just bc you're a dem doesn't mean you want to pay more in taxes. You just think your tax money should be portioned differently than republicans. If Bernie could do everything he wanted and lower the tax burden of the American people he would in a heart beat

#9 KingRoach, Mar 24, 2016
  10. KingRoach

And they say there's no good roles for black actors out there. Pshaw I say.

74 likes this.
  11. Ralebird

You start out by saying you don't think I fully appreciate...then you doubt I care about... then you assume I'm the type that blah, blah, blah. See where I'm going here, sonny?

You don't know shit. You don't know shit about me and you don't know shit about people close to me. You don't know what affect drugs, or the war on drugs, has had on me or those close to me so save your sanctimonious bullshit for someone you know something about.

12. KingRoach

Yes. I can make assumptions based on what you say. If someone were to say eating animals is gross, I'd assume they're a vegetarian. See where I'm going with this, Cher? People do that every day.

You acted like this was not anything special when in fact it is. Lying politicians may be an unfortunate fact of life as you alluded to but the ramifications of this "lie" have been debatably catastrophic. And I wouldn't call it a lie as much as maybe a hate crime. Specifically going after a certain race of people I believe could qualify.

If I had started a post stating that proof came out the Chris Christie was behind the bridge delay thing then yeah your unabashed sarcasm would be appropriate. But you can't have it both ways. You can't act flippant and that it's no big deal and then be surprised when I accuse you of not appreciating the depth of the situation.

alleycat9 likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Wrong! I can do whatever I want to do when you keep simply guessing at what is going on in my life and what I think and believe in. You can accuse me of anything you like. I don't give a flying fuck about someone so proud of their ignorance. You. Don't. Know. Shit!

14. KingRoach

The lady doth protest too much

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Forget race, not everything is about race.

The war on drugs is a travesty to this country and a direct attack on our personal liberty. We have the highest per-capita incarceration rate in the world because of it, have empowered and made violent drug cartels rich, destroyed the lives of many families for non-violent "crimes" and spend billions of tax dollar annually to accomplish all this.

And for what? What good has come of it?

It's time to decriminalize all drugs and end the foolish war on drugs.

[​IMG]

Tax drug sales and spend the tax dollars on treatment.

#15 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 24, 2016
  16. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Our prison population is way to high. Even if your against drugs jailing people for using is not how you should go about it. They are Non violent crimes
    If your all about spending money on jailing these people why not attempt to pay to rehab addicts and get them to save their own lives.

17. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Finally someone brought up the billions wasted on this garbage.

18. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

For some reason even billions sounds modest. Spend our money on rehab and lets save human lives not destroy them! Prison does not help the person the environment inside only makes things worse

19. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's where the money should be spent (Treatment and rehabilitation)...Right now the money is being spent on catching as many of these folks as possible and making sure they stay locked up in the system (no treatment or rehab programs).

Lots of prisons are privately run so there is a profit motive for them in making sure this pattern continues. If certain drugs are decriminalized and that money raises from taxing those products is put into treatment programs, the police unions and private prison sector aren't going to be pleased as there is less money going to both of these groups. IF any talk of decriminalizing were to occur, these groups would be fear mongering with ads and thus ruin the push to decriminalize as so many Americans are easily swayed by such tactics.

20. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

there are people in arkansas and mid states doing horrible stretches in prison for something as harmless as marijuana possession.
    its a fuckin' travesty. assholes like Harry Anslinger and his legislation from the dark ages of 1937 set this country back at least 100 years.
    people believe anything that is put in front of them.