The State of the Jets... where they are...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Jan 29, 2023.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I really don't watch much football anymore, other than the Jets.
    But today I watched both games.
    With all the talk of AR being the piece that gets us to the post-season & beyond, I was really paying attention to the level of play, & the toughness of the 4 teams.
    The Jets are not in that ballpark yet.
    As far as talent, they're close (present QB room excluded).
    But as far as toughness, resolve, competitiveness, teamwork, aggressiveness & coaching, they're not there.
    The first half of the season they showed signs, but when the games became more meaningful, they were out-everythinged by their opponents.
    There was always, at least one area of the team, that let the rest of the team down.
    Even when Zach did put them in position to win, late in the Detroit game, the D let up that bad TD.

Watching the teams today, leads me to think that we may've been fooled by the success early in the season.
    The first half of the season, may've been a mirage.
    So, I was just wondering how many people really believe that the Jets are ready to compete??

As an afterthought, and this is mental masturbation, how might the whole season have gone differently,
    had MCII's pick-six not been negated by that RTP, against the Pats?
    To me, they never recovered from that one penalty, & that's where they lost the season.

mrjet80, Pepsiguy5, dmw and 7 others like this.
  2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Good post.

We’re not even close to being at the level we saw today.

SOJAZ, Br4d, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Coulda been fooled, sure. Think back to our last 8 games under Gace...ran off 6-2 to end the season. A lot of us were fooled then.

You'd think we'd learn....but nooooo!

barfolomew, Br4d, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Should have added a poll maybe. It's tough to watch an AFC championship game and use that as a base of comparison. Teams absolutely play harder in the playoffs, as a matter of fact Mahomes wouldn't even have played if it was a regular season game. They lay it all on the line in the playoffs especially the championship games, honestly I thought the opposite. I was thinking if we had AVT, Breece, a QB and healthy line... With a QB like AR we could have competed in that game. Maybe it's my green goggles but that's honestly the way I see it.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jaguars never really threatened to win that game and lost by two scores realistically but they also didn’t get their dick kicked in by the Chiefs. And that’s also coming off an extremely emotional win against the Chargers.

We’re not as good as the Jaguars and clearly will never win playoff games without a QB, but still. The roster isn’t that much worse.

It’s all about the QB these days.

6. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i disagree, i think the jets overall roster is better then bengals and bills. Having Aaron Rodgers makes Garret Wilson a 1400 yard player, Moore a 800-1000 yard player, breece a 500 yard receiver. They will be a top 4 team in the AFC, maybe a top 3.

7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think we are halfway there. The Jet defense is good enough to be rated playoff caliber. It's the QB position that's holding back this team.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Another thing occurred to me this morning, reading Quinnen's deleted tweet, where he was basically putting down the O.
    While I understand what he was saying, there is really no place for that crap on a team.
    Saleh has lost control of the players. He allowed all that MW bs, which divided the team into factions.
    You have trade requests, tantrums on the field; all kinds of divisive leaks to the press; social media bs, like Q's yesterday, etc.
    This shat should've been stopped long ago, & it's still going on.
    How does Saleh even fix it now?
    So, on top of all the stuff that needs to be done, there's a divided, undisciplined team to deal with.

I said it before... nobody's talking about how much the divisive nonsense contributed to the 2nd-half collapse of the team.
    I had hoped it was mainly with O players, & that a new OC would clean it up, & get everyone on the same page.
    But now I see the whole team is infected.
    More than the need for a new QB, this team needs a strong HC to put a stop to all the nonsense, & get all the players in-line.
    So far all I hear are crickets.

Q's deleted tweet...
    [​IMG]

#8 burf, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Jets1035, SOJAZ, papapump and 6 others like this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

December WAS the playoffs for the Jets. Other teams raised their play, while the Jets collapsed.
    If they couldn't cut it in December, to get to the playoffs, what makes ya think that in the playoffs, they'd magically be able to raise their game?
    The team just aint ready, especially seeing how divided the team is now.

PJ4Ever, Jojo, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I get the sentiment but I don't think I fully agree with you.

The Chiefs are a great example, granted they have an alien playing QB for them, but look at their roster outside of Mahomes.

Travis Kelce, Chris Jones, Creed Humphrey, Orlando Brown Jr...I mean that's about it in terms of exceptional talent on that roster. I'm not saying the rest of their guys are scrubs by any means but it's not like their roster is full of Pro Bowl/All-Pro talent. They've got a bunch of really solid guys outside of their core 5-6 All-Pro/Pro Bowl guys but having a guy like Mahomes can cover up so many deficiencies across your team.

Bengals are another great example, obviously they have Burrow, but they have 2 guys that made the Pro Bowl/All-Pro team, Ja'Marr Chase and Trey Hendrickson.

Having elite QB play exponentially increases your chances of competing at the highest level in the NFL.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would say that the Jets defense is better than the Chiefs and Bengals - not way better, but better. The difference in on offense, especially not having an elite QB, and very good/great OL. If we could fix those two areas we would certainly be in that realm of quality.

papapump, westiedog1 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

An elite QB hides a lot of sins…we’ve been at the very bottom of the QB ratings for two years now. Not bottom third mine you, but bottom bottom….even with a great team around that it’s hard to overcome

SOJAZ, LAJet and westiedog1 like this.
  13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Generally, everyone in every thread at this point, is talking about QB.
    Me, I'm focussing on the TEAM as a whole.
    Yes, the talent is almost there, as I said when I started the thread.
    But, aside from QB, there's a lot of stuff going on.
    Lots of internal division, cap issues to smooth out, player decisions need to be made, free-agency, the draft, etc.
    Above all, the team essentially fell apart at the end of the season.
    The O couldn't score, the STs made huge mistakes, the D didn't make big stops, & the locker room stuff.
    It wasn't all about the QB.
    And that's my concern.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Agreed.. Waay too much drama and intrigue. Saleh is the HC and should have shut all that shit down. He's the boss. If the team sucks? Who's gonna take the hit? Not the players..

SOJAZ and burf like this.
  15. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Woody should hire Parcells to come bitch slap the CS.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Now, granted, I was all in on Mike White at the time, and still think he has something of a future in the league, but I knew that whole thing was going south the moment that Saleh allowed the players to board the plane (or bus, or whatever it was) wearing the "Mike F'ing White" t-shirts.

NYJetsO12 and burf like this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

100%. This team has had two players coaches in Bowles and Saleh and an absentee in Gase over the last 7 years. If any team ever needed an ass-kicker this is the team.

One of the things the Jets did sort of right from 1997-2010 or so was to rotate the HC in a way that an ass-kicker followed a player's coach pretty predictably. Parcells-Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Rex...

Then Rex basically lost his edge when the talent declined and we've never gotten things back together since then. The HC's have been weak mollies now since 2015. Can't do that for as long as we've done it without having rot set in.

SOJAZ, NYJetsO12 and burf like this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Competent QB play would've turned 7-10 into at least 10-7, even with the flaws.

SOJAZ, westiedog1 and Br4d like this.
  19. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing watching the championship games. However, the Jets defense gave up down the stretch as the team struggled to points on the board. I think it's a different story with a legit QB at the helm though.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel like the defense just got tired down the stretch.

Our offense scored 22, 12, 17, 3, 6, and 6 in the last 6. That's a lot of pressure to put on the defense. To basically say, "hey, they can't score more than 1-2 TD(s) or we're probably going to lose".

I'm with you though, throw Carr or Rodgers on that team and I guarantee you we don't lose 6 straight to close the season out.