The road to a Super Bowl must go through our Defense.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

One guy stepping up to elite player.....say out of Cat, Sheldon, maybe a Lee or Jenkins, could be all it takes.

One never knows now, do one?

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Your remark of "Jesus can we win a couple games before talking" seems a bit extreme. So does your comment on how "we suck until showing it on the field".

These types of knee-jerk reaction remarks come across as being hollow with little to no substance whatsoever. You defiantly went on a rant there. As a poster you're doing a good job of acting. I mean, you're acting as if we're not coming off a 10 win season. You're acting as if we aren't on the verge of fielding one of the NFL's top rated and most electrifying defenses. You're acting as if we aren't a 10 win team who's now coming off an outstanding offseason.

During only Todd Bowles & Mac's 1st season as head coach and G.M no, we may not of won "12-14 games" last year but for you to sit here and act as if winning 10 games isn't to be considered as a "couple of wins" is very hypocritical on your part.

When discussing 2016's up coming season it seems as if you're in need of a reality check. Allow me to enlighten you with actual insight (below).

• You can not convince me that N.Y doesn't have a defense that's prime for dominant status as being one of the NFL's top 1-3 defensive units.

• You can not convince me that Calvin Pryor as only a 2nd year player last year, didn't begin to break out into an up and coming NFL star of a Safety (while showing tremendous improvement upon his rookie year). Once within his naturual position of SS; Pryor began to flourish under Bowles. Heading into only his 3rd season Pryor's already becoming a household name.

• We lost Harrison but you can not convince me that Leonard Williams isn't on the verge of emerging into a freakish force alongside of both Wilkerson & Richardson as the league's most dominant defensive line. The big cat showed flashes of brilliance during only his rookie season and ready to breakout come 2016.

• You can not convince me that our linebacker positions haven't been completely revamped & rebuilt over the past two years with youngbloods in Mauldin, Lee & Jenkins. You can not convince me that a tackling machine in David "the hitman" Harris isn't on the verge of being surrounded by newfound youth, speed, athletism & coverage ability.

• You can not convince me that a secondary featuring the likes of a dynamic trio in Revis, Skrine & Pryor aren't on the verge of dominance with an up & coming Marcus Williams coming into his own.

• You can not convince me that Bowles as head coach along with the likes of Wilkerson, Williams, Richardson, Harris, Revis, Marcus Williams, Skrine, Gilchrist & Pryor (to name a few) won't (all) have a better understanding of Bowles defensive system here in year #2.

• You can not convince me that familiarity doesn't mean anything. This defense will be insane after another year within the same system. Speaking of familiarity who's to say that the likes of a Chan Gailey isn't licking his chops at the thought of returning Fitzpatrick, Marshall, Decker, Powell & Enenuwa? They'll all be returning to a familairized offensive system (unlike last year).

• You can not convince me that overall team chemistry & cohesion doesn't impact on the field due to familiarity within a system.

• You can not convince me that we're not an AFC contender who's coming off a 10 win season along with an overall outstanding offseason.

• You can not convince me that this defense after the addition of youngblood linebackers with speed, youth & athletism combined with the emergence of Calvin Pryor & Leonard Williams (as impactful defenders) aren't ready to cause havoc as a dominant contender.

When you're ready to talk actual scenarios let me know. "We suck" is nothing but Elementary talk. These Jets of 2016 aren't a team to over look. A defense that's going to be insane along with an offense that has yet another year within the same system.

3. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

Brevity is the soul of wit, DWC.

RPOZ51 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

My only concern with the defense is the Cornerbacks. I'd love to see Marcus Williams become a everydown player and maybe actually see something from Dee "break a leg" Millner or Dexter"never see's the field" Mcdougle

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

"William Shakespeare".

6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Dup post

7. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Our defense better perform more than Denver's. They lost a lot of talent and our guys are too good to be top 10 and not top 3.

8. Oasis

Oasis Member

abyzmul likes this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I love our cornerback situation.

• Revis is still a top tier CB. I believe graded out & rated top 3 as one of the NFL's number one cornerback's last year. Overall he's a blessing of a veteran leader to have leading the way (with Super Bowl experience) for a group of younger corners.

• Buster Skrine has became my favorite Jets nickel-back since dating back to our days of Ray Mickens. When talking physical strength he's pound for pound as strong as any player on the team & being only 5'9/185 lbs he's ideal for matching up against smaller, shifty, quicker slot receivers. At the age of only 27 he's locked in as the future of our nickel back position.

• Marcus Williams heading into his 3rd season is the player I'm most excited for amongst our younger CB's. Ranked 5th amongst all defenders with 6 interceptions as only a 2nd year player. At the age of only 25 we might've just found our #2 cornerback opposite of Revis moving forward. Williams not only made a name for himself but also made the most of his opportunities during limited chances while Cromartie was on his way out. Came in and put up 27 taclkes, 1.5 sacks, 1 Forced Fumble along with an impressive 6 INT's (league high was 8). Kid looks to be great in man-2-man coverage as well as being very fundamentally sound while in zone coverage.

With that said I'm certain Revis (#1), Williams (#2) & Skrine (Nickel) have solidified themselves as our top three cornerbacks heading into 2016. Revis, Williams & Skrine can become a dynamic trio of CB's working alongside one another.

• I'm also anxious and looking forward to seeing our depth with both of Dee Milliner & Dexter McDougle currently being healthy. Juston Burris could become a wildcard but I'm fully expecting both Milliner & McDougle to push each other while competing against one another for rights to our Dime-back position. Dee Milliner can play this game. That's not a question. Staying healthy is the question. If so...

#1: Darrelle Revis.
    #2: Marcus Williams.
    #3: Buster Skrine.
    #4: Dee Milliner.
    #5: Dexter McDougle.

We're pretty loaded at Cornerback heading in.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'll admit my posts are becoming a little too long winded; I just can't hide my enthusiasm surrounding our defense heading into 2016.

We have playmakers everywhere and will become downright dominant during year #2 under Todd Bowles defensive system. The makings of a tenacious unit.

Wilkerson, Richardson, Harris & Revis are four bonified studs.

Leonard Williams & Calvin Pryor are two up and coming animals.

Buster Skrine is built for our nickel-back position and on the verge of becoming a N.Y household name.

We finally have a revamped linebacking unit featuring youth, speed, athletism & coverage ability in Mauldin, Lee & Jenkins surrounding a tackling machine in David Harris.

What's not to love about this revamped defense?

We've got an underrated but yet solid/sound role player in Gilchrist at FS.

We've also got prospects in Dee Milliner & Dexter McDougle both heading into camp healthy.

Speaking of young prospects we have a 3rd year player in Marcus Williams who may very well solidify our #2 CB position opposite of Revis (would be huge for this defense). Absolutely love this kids style of play. Not only ranked 5th while recording 6 interceptions but also showed promise as a coverage corner with ball hawking ability. Man to man or zone coverage he could be the real deal.

If Marcus Williams breaks out watch out because this defense is prime for contention.

11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Don't discount the good old injury bug.

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Lovin' my Rays.

abyzmul, FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry but Revis is still very good but no longer elite imo. Heres a guy that should be pushing himself to help a PO run but runs out because of his wrist...awww Believe me if I was being paid the highest or sec highest team salary my wrist would heal very quickly. But not him cause ITS ALWAYS been about Mevis not his TEam

FTR he is eclipsed by Peterson, JNorman and R Sherman

Mevi$ will always excel at the money hustle shaking Mac down for 39 mil fully guaranteed... people bitch and moan that Fitz is "taking away money " that we could pay others but DR always gets to fly under the radar ...ridiculous

those other guys #2-5 have a lot to prove and better step up . Especially Skrine and Williams with the generous contracts they received

14. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

We've had many good teams "on paper".
    I'm not getting all school girl giddy in July... but knock yourself out if you want to the first Jets dynasty thread.

15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Im excited to see the linebackers play as well. But while fast, they are young, and we don't know how high their ceiling is. Mauldin seems more like a situational pass rusher than anything else. He was a 5th round pick too. Jenkins and Lee I'm most excited about. I just hope we have enough depth on the roster to make up for some possible growing pains for these young guys.

16. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Mauldin was actually a 3rd rounder :)

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If these young guys don't look ready we will see pace back as a 1st and 2nd down backer. That, as the floor, is not too bad

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/how-bout-them-rays-baby.33030/page-10

19. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

isn't our defense always pretty good?

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yeah, so where are the Championships?