The NY Jets have officially won the Sam Darnold trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 8, 2021.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

2. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

When it comes to Sam Darnold I was one of the people who said keep him and trade that no.2 pick for a slew of picks this team was so bad in so many places.
    Since then he has proven that my thoughts were wrong. This guy just does not have it.
    What baffles me more than anything about him is his total lack of emotion when things are good or bad, he looks like he is just milking the cow for as long as he can and when it’s over so be it.
    Never is pleased, never upset, loves sitting on the bench when the defense is on the field taking advantage of a good seat.
    Their are times when figuring out what is between the ears is as important as your physical talent.
    This guy just wants to buy a convertible and drive up and down the coast of California

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Mind blowing we got a 2 for him. Prob be a top 50 pick as well

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Also seem to have come out better for not keeping Anderson.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Anderson would have ended up being a terrible fit in this offense either way.

chandler, AJW, NYGANGGREEN and 2 others like this.
  6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

IDFjet and bicketybam like this.
  7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. But he has not really had a good attitude this year either, and has not produced well even when given opportunities.

NYGANGGREEN and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I also thought we should have kept Darnold and traded the #2 pick - not because I was convinced he could turn his career around (though I hoped he would) but just I wasn't convinced by Wilson and would've been happier getting 2 extra first round picks from the niners (plus we could have taken Mac Jones at 11 if that was the direction the FO wanted to go).

IDFjet likes this.
  9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We might win the trade directly with Carolina but we certainly haven't recouped the first and three second round picks we invested. It's another case of not scouting properly and/or not tanking properly.

Having said that, schadenfreude is always good fun but he's still my selection on April 26, 2018 (vs Mayfield/Rosen/Allen) without the benefit of hindsight. I didn't see anything in the college tape to suggest he'd go backwards as an NFL player.

10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

The trade up for Darnold and losing the picks to Indy didn’t help us at all.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Everything to do with scouting and nothing to do with tanking. We would have taken Sam with the first pick.

Losmeister, barfolomew and mrjet80 like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not much of a "win." Our prize is last place still. AND.....the Jets lost to Darnold anyway

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

That's a given but we could have used the additional second round picks to fill roster holes if we'd have tanked to #1. Although to your point, the last 30 years of second round selections hasn't been good.

LAJet likes this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

But you have no idea thats what the jets would have gotten. If there are 2 teams in the top 3 trying to trade, it waters down the value you get for that pick. Who's to say they don't still trade for the 3 because the return is much lower than what the jets were asking and they were fine with whatever option dropped to them?

This is my argument with the people who automatically associate getting 2 first round picks if we don't pick Wilson. You just have no idea if that's how it would have played out.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I said trade him and draft Wilson. It's not b/c I'm some sort of expert. I formed my opinion by watching Youtube videos of real experts, such as Joe Blewett on the Jets X-factor Youtube channel. I gain nothing from giving him this plug. It's just that I want to help others be more informed.

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sad but true. Literally half a lifetime of piss poor GMs, CS, failed drafts, and with the exception of maybe two years, miserable seasons. Only constant was great, loyal fans and inept ownership unable to turn this ship around. If JD and the new CS cant fix this soon a generation or two would have gone without a winner.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Same with me - out of the four I figured Darnold was the safest.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sam looked extra bad yesterday, even with CMC.

Its time for him to move into the category of backup QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. mrjet80

It’s safe to say the jury is still out on Wilson - but in Darnold’s case the Jets made the right move with the trade. In 2022 he will most likely be on his third team as a back up.

As far as the 2018 trade to move up it turned out to be a mistake what can you say. At the time I thought it was a good move. Yea, the Jets missed out on some good prospects. But all they can do is move on and focus on the upcoming draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. mrjet80

You’re correct. At the time on paper the Jets did the right thing. They simply picked the wrong guy and that comes down to the scouting department.

NCJetsfan likes this.