The NFL Contract Marketplace and the Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Oct 4, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah It's an essay... Read if you want, I know it's long.

The NFL Marketplace is an interesting concept built around genuine market value, but also perceptions created by the illusions that are NFL contracts. When building a team, a front office can usually focus on a few positions in any one offseason.

The Jets have so little on their roster at this point that essentially every position is worth investigating, so how do you go from worst in the game to a Super Bowl contender? How do you take every position on a roster and improve it in unison? Let's look at finish line, and work backwards from there.

The first step is to take a look at the marketplace created by the NFL teams, because that is going to tell you an encyclopedia's worth of information about where to strike early and often.

This is a list of the top 5 annual values of the contracts at each position. NOT Cap hits. I did not include franchise tag players since those numbers are not applicable to the actual marketplace.

1. QB: $37.3 mm --17.3%
    2. ED: $23.46 mm --10.9%
    3. WR: $20.03 mm --9.3%
    4. IDL: $19.62 mm --9.1%
    5. CB: 18.04 mm --8.4%
    6. OT: $17.8 mm --8.3%
    7. LB: $15.6 mm --7.2%
    8. S: $14.29 mm --6.6%
    9. RB: $13.97 mm --6.5%
    10. OG: $12.97 mm --6%
    11. C: $11.35 mm --5.3%
    12. TE: $10.84 mm --5%

Starting from the top, QB makes up 17.3% of the total. It is clearly the most valuable position in the NFL, and so far ahead of its following positions that it must be prioritized even at the expense of the others. There is a larger difference in QB and the 2nd most compensated position (6.4% difference) than between the 2nd and 12th most compensated (5.9% difference). The premium placed on QB tells us one thing. If you are not 110% sure Sam Darnold is a championship caliber QB, and you have the opportunity to draft another in the top 5, you do it. It has to be the starting point, and anything else is treading water. The answer to this position is simply not available in Free Agency.

Once you pass this point, it becomes only slightly less obvious. Edge Defenders impact a play at a higher rate than any other non QB. They cause sacks, fumbles, interceptions, incompletions, and tackles for loss, along with effecting a QB's decision making. Obtaining a high end player at this position without drafting one is highly expensive, if even possible. Taking advantage of the rookie wage scale here is a necessity, and prioritizing the position with a high draft pick is key. After QB is addressed, this has to be priority #2.

Following that, IDL and WR are essentially equitable with only 0.2% difference between them. IDL have a similar function to ED however elite players at this position will have splash plays at a lower rate than elite players at ED. IDL who rush the passer are the obvious players who reach this type of financial compensation. WR's make the biggest plays, and the elite among them stretch the field and alter defensive responsibilities and create favorable matchups for those around them. These positions should make up priority #3+4.

Behind them, CB and OT live in a similar space with only 0.1% difference between them. Players at these positions are highly impactful when elite, however some of their efficacy can be reduced through altering matchups by the opposing teams. While that in itself carries value, their markets indicate a lesser priority by NFL front offices. I believe that this is because a large part of their overall success depends on the success of the greater units they are a part of, even when the players themselves are elite. The market shows that these would be priorities #5+6.

As we drop another full percentage point, we begin to arrive at positions where the disparity between the top salaries and the salaries of a 1st round pick becomes less obvious. For example 1st round LB Kenneth Murray has an annual value of 20.8% of the top 5 LB average, while K'Lavon Chaisson has an annual value of 14.2% of the top 5 ED average. In essence you're getting a better rate for a more impactful player. It's not that players in these positions can't be impactful, however it's a better combination to get a great ED cheap and pay top dollar for a LB than the other way around. I am using them as an example because they were only selected a couple of picks apart.

K Murray + Top 5 ED = $26.7 mm
    K Chaisson + Top 5 LB = $18.94 mm

The Jets cannot alter their franchise all the way with 1 offseason, but where do they start? Darnold has shown a lot of promise, but at this point I would say the only way to avoid drafting a QB high is if Darnold rallies and as some guys return from injury, he wins enough games that the Jets are picking closer to 10th than to 1st. With that looking less likely by the week, I would look beyond that position and come to grips with the fact that the Jets very first pick in 2021 will be a QB. That means that the Jets should be prioritizing ED with their second 1st round pick. If it seems as though ED is a bit of a reach when the Jets pick comes up, a trade-back should be the primary goal. The likelihood that an obvious slam dunk is available late in the first round is unlikely and makes a trade-back easier to swallow. If neither option is doable for some reason, we'll talk about the next options in a moment.

At this point, knowing what the primary draft targets are, we can start to consider the Free Agent market. The Jets are looking at about $60 mm in effective cap space for 2021 before cuts, and at this point I see 2 players who are obvious cuts withe significant cap gains and that would be L. Bell and H. Anderson which would add around $17.7 mm to that total.

When looking at the Jets core roster pieces, there are very few. Early returns on M. Becton as LT are very promising. Q. Williams at IDL has shown me enough to be hopeful that with a coaching change he can be an impactful player and clean up penalties. The only other players who have core potential would be D. Mims at WR and A. Davis at S. The 2nd round WR is almost an afterthought at this point, and while he is certainly not going to waltz in and save a season after missing most of camp, he may well show lots of flashes over the next 12 games. Darnold will certainly be looking to him as a chance to change the narrative. Davis is raw still but the book is not closed on him after a couple of games.

With this in mind, I can comfortably say that the Jets need to make WR their Free Agent priority #1. No matter how good Mims looks, he will be extremely inexpensive for at least a few year remaining. A high quality veteran will be available somewhere, and the Jets need to push hard to bring in their preferred guy.

The top prizes of FA WR's would be the following:
    -T. Hilton
    -K. Golladay
    -A. Robinson
    -C. Godwin
    While the general thought is that these guys won't be available, if one makes it out the Jets need to strike hard and land them. A contract for any of these players would cost around $20-21 mm per year
    Following this preferred tier, you can also look at:
    -J. Smith-Schuster
    -W. Fuller
    -S. Watkins
    -A. Green
    -M. Jones
    -C. Davis
    -C. Samuel
    Whoever is the best available of this lot, get them. Depending on who, you would be looking at closer to $16 mm per year.
    There is also the possibility of a trade. The Jets should retain their 1st round picks, but if the Bucs can't afford Evans and Godwin, try and obtain Evans for a 2nd. There are possibilities out there.
    If Mims looks like the real deal, pair the FA with Mims. If he looks like he doesn't belong, you pair the FA with a new rookie.

At this point the Jets additions would ideally look like:
    -1st Round QB
    -1st Round ED
    -Major FA WR

That accounts for 3 of the top 6 positional priorities. M. Becton and Q. Williams account for 2 more. The final priority is CB, and there is a strong possibility that this one has to wait a year. It's the price of selecting another 1st round QB, which is not something you can turn down in the situation. The FA class is not strong, and it rarely is with true quality CB's. The best bet will likely be a P. Peterson or X. Rhodes type on a 1 year deal as a holdover. Finding a CB at the very top of the second round is not out of the realm of possibility but things would have to fall perfectly. There is the option to trade up and select one, but forfeiting picks with a barren roster is not ideal.

As the second primary FA move, I would hope that Joe Thuney came loose from NE. So far I am not wildly disappointed in G. Fant at RT, and the Jets are committed to C. McGovern for another year at C. I want a top level G to be addressed in FA. There is no time constraint on releasing A. Lewis or G. Van Roten, which means the Jets can sign a good G and let Lewis, Van Roten, and C. Clark compete for the final position. If Lewis doesn't win he can be released to save $6.2 mm.

Once you reach the second round and beyond, the world is the Jets oyster. They can select whoever they think is the best player, relatively guilt free. CB, WR, RB, TE, OL, LB....
    After the first round they have 8 more picks to play with so continuing to build depth is key.

FA investment at OL and WR matters particularly because if a rookie is going to come in, it is paramount that his development not be as screwed up as Darnold's. I'm not sure splurging on Top FA ED's is the wise move in building the roster.

Prognosticating for 2022 is too far away to me, but having high picks never hurt anyone.

Ultimately the only thing that changes if Darnold changes my mind is drafting an ED instead of QB with the Jets first pick, and then targeting CB with the second 1st rounder. Largely the strategy remains the same.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who created this marketplace and what determines values at each position? That should have been explained first thing. Right off the bat I'd say the idea that IDL and WR have more value than OT is ridiculous. LT is one of the three most important positions on each team. I wouldn't even value WR over the LT position.

It does sound interesting, but I'll hold off reading the rest until you answer who created this "marketplace" and what determines values.

3. MaximusD163

Who created it? Buyers and sellers, and the CBA. Who determines value? Same answer. It’s not me, this is numerical data I gathered from the internet

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

I took the average of the top 5 annual salaries at each position. As a matter of fact, the OT market should be even lower if not for the ludicrous contract the Texans gave Tunsil which was $4 million per year over the market leader. Crazy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Thanks. Wow! That is simply amazing! Totally crazy!

6. NCJetsfan

Thanks. I appreciate all the work that went into the research and writing the post. Very interesting and surprising.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

As you might expect, I question to some extent your prioritizing Edge over WR. Edge will not help with Sam's development, WR will. That said, it is better to draft an Edge because of the cap ramifications and because elite Edge players almost never make it to FA.

Yannick Ngakoue is 25 - He is young enough that it's almost like he was drafted by the Jets. He's had at least 8 sacks every year in his career. He already has 4 this season. If he makes it to FA, the Jets have to make a run at him. IMO there's not a single Edge prospect in the draft that can hold a candle to him. Rousseau is the best and he's sitting out this season. I don't know that there's another Edge prospect even worthy of a 2nd round pick, yet alone a 1st round pick, so if the Jets want to seriously upgrade their Edge position in 2021, then their #1 priority in FA almost has to be Ngakoue. - DEFINITELY

Let's take a look at the WRs you list.

T.Y. Hilton is 31 and hasn't played a full season in 3 years and his skills are eroding - NO
    K. Golladay is 27 - He should be #1a. He has had over 1,000 receiving yards each of the last two season. - DEFINITELY
    A. Robinson is 28 - If he hits FA, either he should be a #1 target. - DEFINITELY
    C. Godwin is 25 - He should be the #1 target. He is an ascending player. He had 1,333 yards and 9 TDs last season in only 14 games. Hopefully, he hits FA. - DEFINITELY
    Smith-Schuster is 24 - He had an off year last year, but has over 900 yards receiving in 2 of his 3 years in the NFL. He played with Sam at USC. He should be a #1a. - DEFINITELY
    W. Fuller is 27 and has never played an entire NFL season, he is the very definition of injury-prone - NO
    S. Watkins is 28, injury-prone and has only 2 years in his career where he had over 800 receiving yards - NO
    A. Green is 33 and is toast - NO
    M. Jones is 31, has only had 3 years in his career with over 800 receiving yards, and hasn't had one in the last 3 years - NO
    Corey Davis is 26 - he's never had a 1,000 yard receiving year, but is still young and in his prime, he also shouldn't cost as much as some of the older players with bigger names - Maybe
    C. Samuel is 25 - he's more of a slot WR and RB. He's been somewhat of a disappointment this year after talking so big about how he was going to be used. He has youth on his side and should be cheap. - NO

I wouldn't pay big $ to any of the WRs over 28 except Robinson. As far as I'm concerned, if we sign a WR to a big contract, it has to be one of Godwin, Smith-Schuster, Robinson, or Golladay. If we can't get one of those 4, then Corey Davis would be a nice consolation prize.

Of course if Douglas isn't willing to sign a big name, big-contract FA, our discussion is moot anyway. Hopefully, he will be willing. I don't know what the Vikings' cap space is like for next season, but they may not have the money to pay Ngakoue. I'd be surprised if he makes it to FA; however, if he does, I think he ought to be Douglas' top target, and hopefully Douglas would also sign one of the 4 WRs I want, or at least Corey Davis. I would have no problems with signing a FA OG or CB, but signing Ngakoue and one of those 4 WRs should be the top priority if the Jets will have cap space to pay them and Sam the following year if he is still to be the QB. If Douglas can't or won't sign both Ngakoue and a WR, then I'd rather he sign Ngakoue and draft a WR with the second of our 1st round picks.

An offseason like this would address most of our holes, the key positions, skill positions, and offense, and with the right new HC/CS, could make us a playoff team next season:

FA - Ngakoue and one of Golladay, Robinson, Godwin, and Smith-Schuster

1a - QB Lawrence
    1b - CB
    2 - RB
    3a - TE
    3b - OG
    4 - OL

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Really well researched OP.

The question is: do you pay a FA WR $21M because 5 guys significantly better than him are making $21M?

Free agency is a trap. The top guys never go free however the top guys signed always get paid like they were the top guys overall and they're never the top guys overall.

Note that this is a double-trap because the top 5 guys aren't worth $21M either. They're paid that way because their teams are afraid to lose them not because that's their actual value to the team.

So when you pay guy #10 like he was guy #3 you're not only losing value because he's not guy #3 you're losing additional value because guy #3 is not worth anything close to what he is getting paid either.

This is true for WR's in particular because WR's need so many other pieces to be great. They need a WR on the other side of the LOS that the defense respects. They need a QB that can take full advantage of their talents. They need an OL that can keep the QB upright and they need a running game that forces the other team to keep at least 6 and hopefully 7 guys in the box on most downs.

There are a very small number of WR's in NFL history that did not need really good talent around them to be effective.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

This is true to some degree, however there are a few caveats I would include.

1. You have to spend at least 90% of the cap over a 3 year cycle. The Jets have no homegrown players up for contracts besides Sam Darnold, and there are big questions there. It may be better to decline his option and use the franchise tag if absolutely necessary. The jets have more money to spend than they need.

2. Either Darnold or a rookie QB will need weapons or risk having his development stifled. The draft is no guarantee so Free Agency is the route I'd take in this situation, since a trade would require draft pick compensation.

3. I suppose a good equation would be this: You have a 16 year old driver (your son) and yes its more fiscally responsible to buy him a used car. However, you can afford a new safe model, and it gives you significant peace of mind knowing he has a safe car that won't break down. Is it for sure the right move? There are pro's and cons, but in this instance it makes sense to me.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

1. It's not a good sign to have a ton of cap space every year. That means there's no player on the team worthy of an extension. This is an indictment of drafting. Wischusen said this in a rant last year. Would you rather have lots of players to pay like the Chiefs or nobody to pay like the Jets? I think most would pick the former. That question wasn't directed at you, BTW.

2. For a rookie QB, I'd like to have as many proven weapons as possible. But, I'd also want a few skill players who can grow with the QB. The draft will be needed to find young talent, but the proven weapons need to carry the load early on. This is where keeping Anderson would've benefited Sam as Mims wouldn't be ready to make a big impact in year 1 even if he was healthy.

3. The players I'd pay big money to are a FQB, LT, pass rusher(edge or interior), #1 CB, and #1 WR. Replacing those players is difficult and I'd rather keep my proven players than bank on unproven players replacing them. As of now, we could have the first 2, possibly the 3rd in Q becomes a force up the middle, and certainly not the 4th.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

@MaximusD163 I have a pretty decent background in sports econ. Efficient market hypothesis says that if the market is efficient, then outside of corner solutions (and if Lawrence is really a generational QB, then drafting him with the first pick may be a corner solution, i.e. there's no offer large enough to get you to trade down) there's no way to find a place to "strike early and often" becuase everything's already been priced in. Now obviously the market isn't efficient, so the trick is to figure where other teams are undervaluing players and then take advantage of those teams. Honestly, the biggest inefficiency in the NFL these days is probably in the coaching market; if you want to win, go pay Sean Payton whatever it would take him to leave New Orleans. Or do the same for some other top coach.