The NFL a Game of Punting?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Nov 15, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting video. It says that NFL teams wind up punting over 43% of the time, more than the number of times they score a TD or kick a FG combined. It's 54 minutes long, but is interesting.

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Another under-spoken relationship central to football is blocking IMO. It's an important determinant on almost every play. It would be interesting to watch the blocking on every play from several camera angles rather than the ball. I wonder if one can tell who won the game from merely this.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I'm not watching a 54 minute video about punting, we get 60 minutes of it nearly every week as it is :D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand. I found it interesting. It talks about strategy, shows stats, shows some historic situations, etc.

K'OB and Red Menace like this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I look at punting as volleying in Tennis, pin the opposing team deep and slowly try and get field position for yourself if defense does it’s job.

That’s where HC like Parcels and Bellicheat used that philosophy, no need to force matters in the game, let the game play out as the unknowns will happen, fumbles, interceptions, sacks, that’s how former HC won their games, play the percentages and force the issue when hey had to.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It was a tiny tiny joke ;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yup. Belichick has had some good defenses over the past 15 years (after the GREAT defenses of the early 2000's had run their course). But he's also had some average ones. And he's played a scheme that is bend don't break. Stop the run as best as you can, and let nothing go over your head. Force teams into 10+ play drives and let them make their own mistake. A holding on first down, a dirt ball on second down, etc.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bad blocking is a epidemic in the NFL. Turning around and handing the ball off 35-40 times a game is the safest commodity in the game. It's less possible though because the college ranks produces less offensive lineman every year that can hold their blocks as college offenses have moved towards a quick passing game and using the three yard wide receiver screen as an extension of the passing game to get ahead of the sticks.

Great point.

IDFjet likes this.