The new regime is in place. What do you do with $50 million in cap space?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rockyusmc2003, Jan 18, 2015.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Now that the new FO and HC staff is in place, it's time to look at retooling the roster. With nearly $50 million in cap space, what should the Jets do in order to start filling holes and becoming more of a "well rounded" team?

Here is a nice tool you can use to mess with the cap: http://overthecap.com/calculator/new-york-jets/ .

Before signing names, I'd like to do things in a step by step process with everyone. It's apparent that these threads can get away quite quickly if you make suggestions all at once. So I thought it could be cool to try and do the off-season a step at a time. And really discuss each move like a front office might do.

First things first. Maccagnan's first priority of the offseason?

I believe his first priority should be taking care of in house FAs first, with that said, Wilkerson's contract should be taken care of. Wilkerson is paid through 2015, but he deserves to be taken care of now while the money is available. Looking down Wilk long term should make a positive impact internally that Maccagnan is prepared to take care of his own.

If you take a look at http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/ you can take a look at other contracts for the position. Wilkerson should garner somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-13$ mil/yr. So that should bring available cap space to around $42 million (using worse case scenario with $13mil cap hit).

What is your first move?

#1 rockyusmc2003, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    LAJet and Truth4U2 like this.
  2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Upgrade the OL, particularly the guard positions.

VaBchJet, ajax, themorey and 2 others like this.
  3. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Nice post. (the OP)

And I agree completely with this:
    "I believe his first priority should be taking care of in house FAs first, with that said, Wilkerson's contract should be taken care of. Wilkerson is paid through 2015, but he deserves to be taken care of now while the money is available. Locking down Wilk long term should make a positive impact internally that Maccagnan is prepared to take care of his own."

You are exactly right, the good franchises take care of their own FA first. As you said, this sends the message to players that if you come here, you will get fair market value and the Jets will treat you right. This is what Tannenbaum never understood; he would try to low ball and be cheap with his players. That's not how you treat your good players if you want to be a successful franchise that attracts the best players.

4. rockyusmc2003

Nice, I was thinking of someone like Orlando Franklin. But, you would do this prior to taking care of in house FAs? If so, why them first?

5. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I'm a huge wilk fan (see avatar) but I am all for trading him. Get a first and a third or something like that to fill up the many holes we have. As far as the money goes, sign Justin Houston, a safety, guard, and a cb (cromartie?) and then the rest in the draft.

TNJet and FlaJet like this.
  6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I would address the following positions, in no particular order:

RG
    CB1
    FS
    QB
    OLB and/or ILB (depending on what we so with Harris, etc.)
    CB2 (possibly)
    RB2 (Powell, hopefully)
    Blocking TE
    Another Wr (depending on Harvin. I wouldn't get a big free agent though)

7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Wilk has been a good soldier in regards to his contract..he deserves to be taken care of pretty quickly into this offseason. I personally think 13 mil per is too high for him..Id go 10.5-11 but wouldnt flip if he gets closer to what you're thinking.

I would either restructure or cut Brick and Harvin..I'd like both back but not at what they are making. Brick's play has gotten worse each season and Harvin is way too injury prone for 10 mil a year. Pay cuts or hit the bricks.

Fix the secondary (Maxwell, Cro)..fix the o-line (Iupati)

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. rockyusmc2003

Thanks.

It will help for sure. It will lessen the sting when it comes to cutting guys like CJ. I'd prefer to keep Brick, even though his cap number is so inflated. Guys like Harrison and Douzable also should be taken care of. The DL is the strength of this team, and that unit should be kept intact.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  9. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Wilk is due approx $7m in 2015 so if we extend him for $13m/yr that is only using an addl $6m in cap space, yes?

Axel3419 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  10. rockyusmc2003

I agree with both. I'd put $13 mil hit just to play worst case scenario, I see him around $11/year.

Like I just posted previously, I think the next move has to be addressing what to do with Brick. Since he's been around for so long, it's easier to believe he would take a reduction rather than being cut. The problem becomes, if you cut Brick, who do you sign? I'd prefer a restruction, but in the event he declines, who do you sign?

11. rockyusmc2003

I believe you're correct! My mistake! Let me fix the top. Thanks

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I would pay our own first, including Wilkerson.

rockyusmc2003 and Truth4U2 like this.
  13. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

I agree with that as well. We need to keep up the strength of our team, which is defense (especially with a top defensive HC) and in particular the line, as you said. I think Ellis and Douzable should both be retained. I also agree we should keep Brick, because he's still a top LT in his prime; he's got at least 3-4 good years left, maybe more. And we need to have our leaders return (Brick and Mangold) to help the transition with the new players we will likely have at G and maybe RT. I think we can clean house at RB and maybe even WR and TE, but we need to make our O-line strong so that if Geno continues to be our QB he will get the protection he needs to continue t develop. I'd keep Decker and maybe Amaro, but the rest of our WR/TE group can be replaced. Harvin is a talent but too inconsistent and injury-prone. Bowles' defenses are known for being aggressive and fast, so we could trade David Harris and Calvin Pace, those guys might be too slow for Bowles' scheme. We could also let Landry and the other older, slower vets on D go....we need to draft a bunch of young, fast, hungry defenders to complement our stud D-line.

14. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

If I'm the Jets I might suffer with Smith for one more season, the Jets don't have a quick fix to get into contention.

FA priority:
    Resign Wilkerson

Street FA (mid tier to big names for all, you have the money):
    CB
    CB
    OG
    S
    T

Solidify the trenches on O and backend on D.

Draft:
    Rd1 Cooper (Don't really need to say a ton)
    Rd2 Gurley (Ivory won't be around forever and Gurley almost looks "can't miss")
    Rd3-7 Depth and prospects (Home grown OL never hurt for the future as they're expensive pieces, situational pass rushers)

Wait another season to confirm that Smith isn't the guy and if needed go FA at QB.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wilkerson extension, upgrade o-line, talk to Percy on restructuring.

16. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

1. Extend Mo
    2. Bring Back Cromartie
    3. Sign a Talented Guard/RT
    Shouldn't cost too much money. There's a 4-10 on players we also need but these first 3 are most critical imo. We may have 50 million to spend but it wouldn't be wise to go out taking top FAs at every position of need. We should be able to take care of our business and have anywhere from 10-20 million remaining.
    I would spend and make Demaryius Thomas the highest paid WR in the NFL if he hits the open market..same for Dez.

almbleamal likes this.
  17. rockyusmc2003

Say you're able to extend Wilk for $11/per.

Before heading to the FA market, I feel like our restructures need to be done first. What kind of numbers on a restructure for Harvin do you think he will find acceptable? I don't think he's getting 10.5 from anyone, so if he's cut, what is he worth? $6-8/per? What could it take to keep him at around $7/year? Next year isn't guaranteed, so perhaps adding more guaranteed years will help. I'd like to keep Harvin, injuries aside, we all saw what he can do. Give him a full year under the offense, and I think he fits Gailey's screen passing mold.

18. rockyusmc2003

100% agreed. If they take a big swing on one super impact guy in FA, I think it should be an offensive lineman. This is football, they need to build a well rounded team, which is impossible if they big names only (Thomas, Bryant, Murray etc).

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I'd hope our new defensive minded HC can get along without spending 40+ mil. on D-linemen and another 20+mil. on CB's...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

The available LT options out there are not enticing. So because of that it might give Brick a little more pull if the Jets approaching him about a restructure.

King Dunlap from SD is really the only guy out there that would be a solid upgrade on paper.