The Lack of Leadership On This Team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Fatman&Robin, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    LT on Holmes: “There were some guys in huddle unhappy w/Tone’s demeanor. It’s tough for guys to follow a captain who behaves in that manner"

damienwoody Damien Woody
    Character is just as important as talent in the locker room

Matt Slauson on Jets' jarring in huddle: "It started off between Holmes & another guy. Then everybody came at each other. It was bad." #nyj

There were 2 separate incidents involving verbal jarring between Santonio Holmes & Jets' teammates in the huddle. #nyj

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas
    "He quit," one teammate said of Holmes. "It's happened for the past two or three weeks. It's happened all season." #nyj

Rex appointing this schmuck as a captain says all you need to know about the lack of leadership in this team. Rex has let the inmates run the asylum, too caught up in being their best friends then being their coach. Slauson's quote is the most troubling. This problem is the most worrying for me, as its not as easy to fix as signing a new free agent in the offseason.

I'm by no means calling for Rex's head. I still want him as my coach next year, just that he NEEDS to change his coaching style a little to be more authoritative.

Discuss.

#1 Fatman&Robin, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. dustykeller

dustykeller Banned

Woody should fire everybody.

3. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

It's going to be difficult for Rex Ryan to regain control of this team.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Santonio Holmes attitude would be a whole lot better if he was playing his customary role as complimentary receiver who breaks the defense. He can't handle the #1 role at all. As soon as the defense starts trying to shut him down he's shut down.

Not difficult, challenging. Rex is going to have to change who he is to regain control. Propping people up and supporting them is NOT going to fix the talent and mix issues on the Jets at this point. He needs to figure out who can play this game and who can't and get rid of the can'ts. The alternative is for this to go south next season and Rex and Tannenbaum to get fired.

#4 Br4d, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  5. PA32R

PA32R Member

That's my prediction, sadly. I can't think of an example of an HC successsfully "changing who he is." As much as it brought us a lot of publicity and "gave us an identity," Hard Knocks was the worst thing that could have happened to Rex.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yeah, the lack of leadership was a big problem. No way Holmes should have been named captain this year

7. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

I agree on both points.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I never thought I would say this but:

I really wish Rex were at least half the man that his daddy was. This team would be gritty if anything.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nice to see at least one player was mad enough to be pissed at what that game had become. Maybe the wrong place but not the wrong feeling.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem is that I can't help feeling like what Holmes was most upset about was not catching any passes.

Give me the damn ball works when you get damn open.

11. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Lack of leadership is something I'm concerned about too and think it wouldn't be a bad move to see if we can keep LT for another season just for that very reason, he seems to be an inspirational voice for us.

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think the Holmes mess pretty much sealed it that LT will not be back.

13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed.

That being said, Rex clearly went the "Namath route". He named an irresponsible, immature player, captain hoping he would respond by changing his ways given the weight of the title.

Namath responded big time. Holmes went the other way.

They took a chance. He didn't respond....in fact, he was ultimately detrimental to the team. Time to cut him loose.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Surely it's obvious that this type of problem with Holmes was envisioned and that is precisely why they made him a captain - in the hope he'd rise to the responsibilities of that role.

He hasn't.

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Considering their behavior and play on the field today, I'd be VERY worried about the Jets going forward if they let Holmes (who quit on them) stick around, but let LT (one of the few veteran leaders we have) go.

16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Sanchez could show some leadership by not sucking so hard all the time.