The Jets should bring back Nick Mangold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by xxedge72x, May 1, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Per the title, I'd like to see the Jets resign Nick Mangold and let him play out the rest of his career as a Jet. Being that there is a good chance either Hackenberg or Petty will be under center week 1, I would feel better if we had someone solid under center to call the protections and act as bodyguard for our young QBs.

I understand that this team is going through a youth movement now however this is one area where I think it makes a ton of sense to make an exception. I don't know the status of Mangold's health, but otherwise he is more likely to keep our QBs upright. Just look what happened to Petty in the Dolphins game with Johnson under center. He's not exactly a premier talent at that position.

Bring back Mangold, keep Johnson in reserve. This is for the good of the development of our offense. Mangold is a leader, a veteran, and a good influence on the team.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Love me some Mangold but his time is over.

3. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Hell yeah to bringing back our Wookie, Nick MANgold.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Agreed. Mangold was a great Jet but his salary, recent injuries, our roster purge, and our focus on developing young players make it unlikely that he or the Jets want a reunion.

5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

All in on this. Unless Nick can get to a playoff bound team. I hope they are talking to him.

6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

But why would you do that to Mangold.

7. xxedge72x

We're only really talking about developing Wesley Johnson in this case. Personally, I'd rather Petty / Hackenberg were better protected so that THEY can continue to develop, while we find our future C in a later draft.

I suppose it depends on how you view Johnson. I just don't see him as a long term starter for this team.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

You're assuming Mangold can stay on the field and that his skills are what they used to be. Even so, he certainly can't be viewed as a long term starter. I love the guy and appreciate everything he did for the team on and off the field, but keeping him on the roster doesn't make business sense.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Why is he still available? Of course I would re-sign him. He is the man.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's very interesting that apparently not one team has expressed any interest in Mangold. IMO that suggests that either his injury was a lot worse than was reported and he's still nowhere near healthy or is likely to be adversely affected by the injury for the forseeable future, or they think he's done.

If the Jets re-sign Mangold, I think it probably won't be until at some point during TC if Johnson isn't getting the job done, or after the first game of the season so his salary won't be guaranteed.

BamaDoc likes this.
  11. xxedge72x

Health is certainly the x-factor here, but that's why I think they should keep Johnson. If Mangold goes down then ok Johnson is a decent backup, but the upside is every game Mangold plays is a game the QBs have more reliable protection.

Even if Mangold's skills have diminished, his brain still functions and he's the one making calls for the o-line. He's certainly more reliable than Johnson in that regard and honestly even with diminished physical skills he's likely still a better blocker than Johnson today.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets desperately needed cap space, but if they thought that Mangold could still play at a high level, or at least better than Johnson, I would think that he would have been kept initially or re-signed already. That they haven't indicates to me that there is some problem there. I have no clue whether it's health, money, or maybe some kind of personality/philosophical difference between Mangold and Bowles, but there has to be some reason he's not back and that no other team has even made him an offer.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sometimes players are just done, right? Peyton Manning was the best QB for almost 20 years, then he instantly was terrible. Bodies break down. Could easily happen to a Center like Mangold who has been a wall for a decade.

14. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Unfortunately, we are not a Super Bowl contending team. I loved Mangold but at this point he would block a younger player who may develop into something by the time we do contend.

15. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

If Mangold is OK being on a rebuilding team I think he would be great for the younger players.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

totally agree. I've been saying this since we cut him.

If we go with one of the young QB's at some point, they'll need him.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It comes down to money. I imagine the Jets would be ok with a low salary close to the vet min. But, Mangold, once healthy, will likely get more from a team that is not in rebuild mode.

Weren't the Giants interested in signing him a few the ago?

#17 Noam, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure Mangold would be interested in re-signing. He claims he had no idea he was even being released, he might be bitter.

Else wise, for sure at the right price bring him on.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Heart says yes, brain says no.

20. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Mangold was rated in the mid 20's for centers last year. I wouldn't expect any significant improvement from him this year, at his age and after the injuries. I think Johnson did a good job last year and can probably get better.