The "Is Mark Sanchez Progressing Well Enough?" Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockefella, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Just looking at Mark Sanchez's stats from the first 2 years and decided to project what his stats could look like this upcoming year if he improves at the same statistical rate from year 1 to year 2.

- Yards: 2444
    - Touchdowns: 12
    - Interceptions: 20
    - Passer Rating: 63.0

- Yards: 3291
    - Touchdowns: 17
    - Interceptions: 13
    - Passer Rating: 75.3

Statistical Improvement 2009 to 2010:

- Yards: 34.6%
    - Touchdowns: 41.6%
    - Interceptions: -35%
    - Passer Rating: 19.6%

Extrapolated for 2011:

- Yards: 3949 (+20%)
    - Touchdowns: 23 (+35%)
    - Interceptions: 9 (-30%)
    - Passer Rating: 86.6 (+15%)

I reduced the percentage of statistical improvement by roughly 5 percentage points taking into account diminishing returns, sans total yardage because Sanchez putting up 4200+ is unrealistic. Taking the above data for 2011 this would rank Sanchez the following according to 2010 quarterback statistics:

- Passing Yardage: 7th
    - Touchdowns: 13th (tied)
    - Interceptions: 8th (tied)
    - Passer Rating: 15th

I thought this would give us a good ballpark for the statistical year Sanchez will have in 2011. If Sanchez improves his completion percentage his passer rating and statline as a whole should improve further, which I expect. Thoughts?

#1 Rockefella, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

add 12 wins to that, and I'll be very happy. :jets:

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I don't think Sanchez will ever hit 4,000 yards based on the offense the Jets run, especially with a big emphasis on the running game.

Even if we only see marginal increases in yards and TDs, with a drop in interceptions, it will be a huge improvement.

I'd like to see something like this:

Yards: 3,600
    TDs: 20
    INT: 7
    Passer Rating: 85%

4. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Make that 15 wins for me

5. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Yeah, the yardage seems a bit high. I think he'll end up around 3,900 yards. Sometimes huge yardage is deceiving though. A lot of quarterbacks pick up chunks at the end of games in garbage time. Orton and Schaub are famous for this.

#5 Rockefella, May 9, 2011
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I don't think there's a chance he'll hit those yards.. but the TD's and qb rating definitely could. I just want to see him be more consistent not only from game to game, but quarter to quarter. It seems sometimes he just completely loses it out there. If he can play like he does in the playoffs all season, he will be one of the elite qb's in the league.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

They keys for Sanchez and the offense will be an improvement on 3rd downs, in the Red Zone and getting better production in the 1st half so we aren't chasing in the 4th Qtr.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Mark's efficiency will improve with consistency.

That's why I'm hoping the FO finds a way to resign Braylon....they've built a good rapport since the trade with Cleveland. Mark needs to be surrounded with weapons he's comfortable with.

9. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Edited yardage to +20%. Sanchez putting up Peyton Manning type yardage in this offense just won't happen.

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

good idea, but there are a couple of issues, obviously the progression is not linear with a 1 to 1 relationship.

I think we see gigantic leaps and bounds in two areas for mark this year, completion percentage, and decision making overall. Mark will make better decisions and as a result his comp. % will increase, his TD's will increase and his yardage will increase. But I don't think his INT's will decrease by much, if at all.

Mark will make less bad decisions, but he got lucky a lot last year. He had a good chunk of potential INT's dropped (whether it was the most in the league is fairly debatable) but you can't deny he had at least 5 or 6 dropped INT's especially in the first few weeks of the season. He also didnt really have much in the way of bad luck bite him, it terms of the deflected INT's. The only two INT's which were weird from last year, was really the Packers game. Those certainly won't be repeated, but weird INT's and bad luck will certainly happen throughout a real long season.

On the yardage, it will increase, simply because his comp. percentage will increase over the course of the year. But it won't crack 4,000 yards for one reason. We are still a run first team. Greene, LT, Mcknight and Powell could combine for 2,000 yards running so I would be shocked to see our offense have 2,000+ yards on the ground, coupled with 4,000 yards passing. It would literally indicate our offense was purely unstoppable over the 16 games...

11. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I'd settle for last years td/int if he could bring his completion pct to 60% or better

12. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I agree with everything here, this was just a simple analysis using some percentages on what we can expect given similar improvement. If you asked me personally what numbers Sanchez will put up:

Yards: 3850
    TD: 24
    INT: 11
    Passer Rating: 88

The above falls in line with the projection, give or take a bit. The strength of the running game will also come into effect here. It's no surprise that teams like Green Bay, Indy, and NE have huge passing numbers but pretty average/sub-par running games.

#12 Rockefella, May 9, 2011
  13. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

The most important area of improvement for Sanchez is completion percentage...everything else will follow

14. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Good point!

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

In this offense it is tough to develop a QB to be ready to lead us to victory but at the same time take a backseat for most of the game to our running attack.

In that regard Sanchez has done beautifully. I know I sound like a broken record but IMO when we move up to the 5th pick in the draft we're drafting our Franchise QB, and we did.

I just hope our beloved OC allows him to assume that role. The mantra has been ground and pound but there is no reason at all why we couldn't be a passing attack team. The running game will always be there, especially with our line.

In year 2 as the season went on we did have a much more balanced attack, which was nice.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yes, that needs to improve. But I want him to be most successful when it matters the most. 3rd downs and in the RZ. An improved completion % will only increase the success in those areas.

17. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Sanchez "missing" a significant number of seemingly safe throws this past season that should have been easy completions and stretches of play where he was simply off target. His numbers were further impacted by a good number of drops. On the other hand, he also made a very good number of difficult and very clutch passes at critical times that helped to decide outcomes in our favor.

I believe he will only get better and he has repeatedly shown himself to possess those special intangibles, be it leadership, confidence and performing in the clutch that ultimately defines all the great ones. Frankly, I'll be happy if the occasional on the field lapses in concentration, judgement and maturity are eradicated which should happen sooner than later as the result will be far greater consistency and performance.

18. MadBacker Prime

There were also dropped passes that would seemingly be easy catches and even the dropped INTs. Point is, even seasoned veterans make mistakes too even on the "easy" plays.

19. MadBacker Prime

Mark is destined for greatness, look at his big ass fingers, as Dustin Keller put it.

[​IMG]

Direct link, the image link might not work. http://lockerz.com/s/98199871

20. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Is it just me or does DK seem to post more pics of Mark than Mark does? :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.