The Impact of the February Cuts (2011 dead cap money can be avoided?)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Mar 1, 2011.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://www.nyjetscap.com/capcuts2011.php

2. WhiteShoeWillis

If I'm understanding this correctly, no dead money gets carried into 2011. Is that how everyone else is reading it? If that is the case I would take a long hard look at cutting Pace right now.

3. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

That's fucking beautiful man. Lets cross our fingers that we can cut Gholston with Dead Cap Space impunity!

I knew Sanchez had a big # for this year, but didn't realize it was a cap charge of 17 Million. If it's as easy as they make it seem, and we can restructure the cap # under 10 Mil or so, we're going to be pretty active. If we don't resign both WR, I would assume it's because we made a major splash somewhere else.

4. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

That's what the article says. It's a huge deal if it's true, but nobody else has reported anything remotely like that so I'm very, very skeptical of the story.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Either way we're in pretty good shape, the extra $9 million would be nice though.

6. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I agree 100%. He's pretty good, but his production doesn't come close to his cap #.
    However, if they were going to cut him, they probably would have done so already.

I think he will be restructured-- there is no way he plays another snap for us under that current contract.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Guys, if no dead money is going to carry over to 2012 we have to thank god for this labor unrest!!!! That would be fucking AMAZING!!!!!

8. WhiteShoeWillis

That's a very good point, why isn't anyone else reporting this? It's pretty big news if we're interpreting it correctly. hmmmm

9. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

No way. I know it was preseason, but Pace looked pretty damn good, before he broke a bone in his leg. If he could find somebody opposite of Pace(that is better than Bryan Thomas), then Pace's numbers will no doubt increase.

We need to restructure his contract. Losing all our pass rushing threats over the offseason could fuck us dramatically. Taylor, Bryan Thomas(if hes out), Pace. ouch.

10. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Aren't we supposed to be in cap hell again?

[​IMG]

Mike T. did not get that memo.

Play on playa...

11. WhiteShoeWillis

I know Pace was hurt this year, but I still think he's overpaid. He's good, not great. Taylor was garbage and made a minimal impact, I'm glad he's gone and would much rather see a younger guy, even an UDFA taking those snaps. If they cut Pace they could keep Thomas.

Do we even know if Pace will ever come back to form? He is 30 now.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The guy at NYJetsCap is saying it's his interpretation... but given the knowledge he has of the Jets contracts (some inside info I'm guessing) I think his interpretation is very valuable.

Probably it hasn't been reported as news by any big outlet because right now there is nothing clear about the next CBA. But the fact many teams are doing what the Jets are doing (cutting guys with big contracts/cap space) prior to the march 3 deadline suggets this interpretation might be right.

Cross your fingers everyone, this might be just what the Jets needed to re-sign both of their WRs or one WR and Cromartie.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

He's a very reliable resource, no doubt, it just seems odd that not a single other person has reported this. Even if it was an interpretation, others could do the same thing.

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Very interesting read.

Have to admit, understanding the cap to me is like understanding Chinese.

15. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

It's not just that nobody else is reporting it, it's that neither the Jets nor other teams are acting like there won't be dead space next year. You'd cut Pace in half a second if there wasn't going to be dead money next year-his 7.2 million cap value vastly exceeds his value as a player and the only reason you're keeping him is because dead money keeps you from cutting him. Same thing with Cotch-he has a 3.8 million cap value and you'd cut him in a second if you didn't have to worry about dead money.

Every team has players like this and could benefit from cutting players with high cap values but a lot of dead money; teams aren't doing this, which leads me to believe that it's far from a sure thing that dead money will be accelerated to 2010.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Too early for GM of the Year nominees?

Odds are B. Thomas gets cut and resigned with a restructured deal, and Sanchez gets his money in signing bonuses.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

whoa.slow down bro.there's a difference between trimming the fat and gutting the whole thing.

18. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Just remember if B. Thomas gets cut he can sign with any team in the league so you can't be 100% sure he stays with the Jets. I bet somebody like the 49ers, who are implementing the old Ravens 3-4 scheme, would love to add him and would be willing to pay more than the Jets are.

Sanchez is going to restructure but I'm not sure the savings are going to be as great as people suspect. He has a huge cap value but that's largely because he deferred a lot of salary from the first two years of his contract to the last three years; his agents aren't going to be willing to cut his overall compensation over the next three years. So maybe he converts 7.5 million to a signing bonus this year and decreases his 2011 cap hit from 17.7 to 12.8, but then he'd increase his 2012 number to 16.8 and his 2012 number to 10.8.

19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Can we pay Ellis in weed?

20. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Don't think we will have enough weed cap space if we resign Tone.