The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Sanchez was still playing like a rookie in his 4th season. Geno might be struggling with turnovers early in his career but it's expected, and he understands it's ok to throw the ball away.

I just don't want to see any interceptions thrown to defensive lineman. I've seen enough of those from Sanchez to last a lifetime.

2. north06

north06 New Member

The Notion of Competition

Competition as it has been used lately by the Jets front office and coaching staff, i.e., “there is still an open competition at the quarterback position…” is just disingenuous. That is not what they really mean. One of the tenets of competition is score keeping: as in football, basketball, baseball and even in figure skating and boxing, there is a scoring methodology. However, in a so called “Quarterback competition” there is no known methodology. The only thing that is apparent is that someone wins and someone loses and this is mostly decided by… “feelings!’. What they should simply say is that “we are going to give the QB job to the player that makes us feel good!”

Yes, the scoring methodology is based upon “feelings”, specifically, how bad we feel about a player based upon what that player does or does not do relative to the past bad events and the feelings that are derived from those events. Remember, an event is an event and there is no inherent emotional aspect of an interception just our reaction to it.

Last year, if Sanchez had gone the entire season and had thrown only one INT, he would have been the starter this year but the Jets still would have been a bad team last year. Fans were very much anti Mark Sanchez for essentially doing exactly what he has always done during his tenure with the Jets. When you are winning though you feel a little better; when you are losing, you don’t feel so good.

If the Jets had lost to the Bills this past Sunday, the fans would not have felt so good and would have been upset about those two INT’s that Geno Smith threw. And then there would have been a chorus of cries for Matt Simms because the perception would be that Matt would make us feel better: of course that would have lasted until he made his first mistake. But since the Jets won the game, we feel better and are pleased with Geno. But that does not hide the fact that he still threw two INT’s; or, maybe it does! You be the judge…

Mark Sanchez was deemed to have won the starting job during the preseason primarily because Geno threw many interceptions. The feeling was that if Geno were going to throw those darn interceptions, we might as well stay with Mark. Yet barely a three weeks later, that has essentially changed because we “feel” better about Geno because of the euphoria of winning trumps the angst of losing. Or, put another way, the great feeling of winning offsets the bad feelings of interceptions.

Feelings are the context or the paradigm from which we use logic so by default thoughts are not always logical but inherently emotional. And right now, I feel like Geno should be the starter… Go Jets…

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The comparisons are completely pointless, how he plays as the season progresses an in the cold weather, will determine his future, those numbers are awful, lets just hope he keeps getting better.

4. DanR

DanR Active Member

It really baffles me that Sanchez right now still cant do this. Its almost if there isnt any learning or development going on.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I remember when Geno Smith threw the football away in his first start, the crowd cheered.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

That was the first time in a loooong time that Santonio actually looked like he loved football again. He needed that game to not only give himself confidence again, but also to gain confidence in Geno.

I truly think that if Geno can cut down on the turnovers, then he could be a very good QB. As someone pointed out, 4 our of his 6 picks have been on long passes. His deep ball looked much better vs the Bills, and if he learns to put a little more on the ball instead of underthrowing it, that should certainly cut down on the turnovers. I know that some of the underthrown balls are a result of footwork, and I have confidence that it will be cleaned up.

Overall, we are 3 games in and he has shown that he doesnt make a lot of bad decisions. He's smart with the ball. He has shown that he can make every throw, while also being able to also tuck it and run. He has also shown very good awareness in controlling the velocity of his passes- no more do you see the QB throwing a fastball at a fullback. His ball placement has been overall impressive.

I hope he continues his progression.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I dont know, but I think we resign Rex to a 2 year deal...I mean Marty is a legit OC

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You coulda just said "Sanchez sucks".

...or "winning solves everything"...ya know, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

That was a week and a half ago. This thread was created today. As Geno continues to progress more and more people will become supportive of him. Stop rehashing stuff from the past. We are in Week 4 and moving forward.

10. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Go watch the 2001 SB and find me one play by New Englands DBs that would be legal today. Since the "Polian Rule", after his team got blown up by NE in the playoffs due to their DBs being legally allowed to maul receivers, the NFL has become a different league once again.

So yes, Mannings play in 1998, while only 15 years ago, is a whole different story.

The game IS that different post 2003.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...bill-polian-is-the-biggest-cheater-in-the-nfl

Yeah, BR sucks, but it was the first article I found after a 10 second google search.

11. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Bingo! I've appreciated his throwing the ball away as much as the gun.

12. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

If you bleed green, you must be ecstatic about Geno.

super accurate
    a gun for an arm
    throws the ball away
    doesn't seem to get rattled

IF this kid studies and learns from his mistakes, and shows substance beneath his leadership and accountability talk - he's our QB for a long long time.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm guessing a 4 year extension at the end of the season, which would put him under contract for 5 years. This assuming that December goes well, which it hasn't since 2010.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Mark Sanchez (2009)

Att. - 83
    Pct. 59.4
    Yds. - 606
    TD: 4
    INT: 2
    Rate - 88.9

If I learned anything from Mark Sanchez it's that it's a LONG season. First three games don't mean shit if you shit the bed the rest of the way. We're barely getting our feet wet. Right now he's probably right around Sanchez' level currently maybe slightly below. It's alright because he's a rookie. If Geno keeps improving he should be miles ahead of Sanchez after a season or 2.

#3534 Barcs, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  15. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Did you dabble in pacifism? Not in Nam, of course...

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm more of a nihilist.

It's exhausting...

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

The rule enforcement was specifically aimed at New England. IF the game prior to 2004 was so different, and all DB's were "mauling" WR in some especially egregious way then how did Marino pass for 5,084 in '84 or Warner pass for 4,830 in '01?

There was no Polian rule specifically, Polian just bitched to the NFL to enforce the rules already on the books.

I think it went more like:

There were some really high powered offenses in the late 90s.

One of which was the Rams "Greatest show on Turf".

New England beat those Rams in the superbowl, by playing good defense, and stealing their practice tapes.

New England also beat up on the Colts high powered offense in the early 00's.

The NFL finally got sick of it, and decided to enforce the rules that were already on the books for pass interference.

So yes, the New England DB's were probably "Cheating" a bit. If all the DB's could maul WR's back then, I wish someone had informed Otis Smith of that in the late 90s.

Anyway, the overall point is, it's probably ok to compare Manning's '98 stats to Geno's to prove "Rookies can still turn out ok if they start out turning the ball over".

Also, anecdotally speaking the real uptick in passing seems to be only over the past 3-4 years, not since 2004. Take a look:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_single_season.htm

7 of the top 10 all time yardage records were set in 2011 or 2012. If 2004 was the "HUGE RULE CHANGE" it sure took the league a long time to catch on.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i "feel" the need to rip this post apart but have no idea where to start.
    where's byz? he would love this

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Just an fyi, this thread will be updated as the season goes on. It's not to show how he is the answer after three games. It's to show how he progresses in comparison to other rookies at the same time.

20. north06

north06 New Member

Yeah, I could have said that but decided not to do so. Also, Sanchez always had less than stellar stats. And you are correct that when he was winning it was a non issue.