The foundation of Mangini's problem, in his own words

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFighter, Dec 23, 2008.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Did anyone read the transcripts of Mangini's press conference today, the day after the Northwest collapse? The question was if he'll try something different this week to get the team motivated after 4 lackluster weeks. Mangini's response:

On if he’ll try different motivational approaches
    It's not a stagnant process. Things are always changing in terms of, it could be the length of practice, where we practice, meetings or the setup. All of those things are constantly being adjusted and you're trying to tinker with it to get the best formula. It really comes down to individual preparation, the focus at practice when we do have those opportunities, the focus in meetings and then the ability to take that information, to take that work, and now apply it when we play on Sundays.

This guy operates this team like an accounting firm. "Hey everyone, go home, watch film individually and take notes, then be sure to apply your findings on Sunday. Don't worry, we'll tinker with the practice schedule and "meetings or the setup", you know, to get your all fired up for this Sunday". This guy is too much of a numbers wonk and stats guy, he's built a team of unemotional robots...no heart, but lots of good notes on lessons learned...

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

how about focusing on "winning", Mangini....not who's gonna pass your stupid pop quizzes.

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its funny that he is this way but yet he is the eternal dictator in many other situations. killing and getting rid of vilma for talking about an injury. messing with miller for 2 years because he didnt like him. so many dictator things, and then this pussy bullshit. jesus pick a way either be a pussy like herm or be a dictator but please god get the fuck off the fence.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Thats a Belichick philosophy, but BB at least shows fire and heart too. I've seen BB slam his headphones on the sidelines after Samuels missed a pick 6 on Chad last year. He is both, Mangini is just the film dude.

5. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

to be fair, by "individual preparation" i didn't think mangini was referring to work done by each player alone and individually. i believe he was referring more to how much effort players had and how much players applied themselves during team activities like meetings, practices, film sessions, etc.

i do believe he lacks an "emotional" fire to him, be it any little show of passion. also, he never really blames himself for his own in-game calls and lack of adjustments. it's always someone or something else. "lack of execution, lack of preparation, getting the right formula down" etc etc etc.

LOL, im surprised we didnt hear the airplane excuse lmaoo i thought we would if we lost

6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

This guys like a robot he says the same shit over and over again without another humanly response. Get Cowher in here and let this turd go.

7. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

The worst part is when I read this I can hear Manboob's stupid voice in my head saying the words.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

And if we were winning we'd hear about how dedicated his strategy is to player blah blah fucking blah.

When did this board get so fucking cliche?

9. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I don't even know why the Jets have a head coach. Apparently it's up to the players to figure everything out, but then they aren't allowed to call the plays anyway. So basically they go out there, figure out everything on their own, and then the 3 stooges piss away any chance of success with their idiocy.

He's not running an accounting firm, he is a college professor. A bad one. He's that professor that gives you boring unrelated lectures and then tests you on completely different material that you were responsible for but that he never went over in class. He then tries to flunk everyone, but the university institutes a mandatory curve so he can't. The people that succeed on his tests do so in spite of him. He still has a job because everyone blames the students for being stupid, and not for him being crappy, even though many are scholarship students. But since they are attending Devry University rather than Yale, the blame is placed on them. If it was Harvard, he'd be called out for being incompetent and forced to re-teach and offer the examination again until everyone did better (this actually happened in Harvard roughly 8 or so years ago).

But this is football. The idea is he prepares all the players to beat the other team, not compete against each other to see who can do best on the test. This clown was quizzing players back in NE, and the dean of NE, the Harvard of the NFL, took his player's side and took away Mangini's playcalling and defensive powers. So Mangini wound up at CUNY, he continued to be incompetent, and people blame all the scholarship students, because if they were REAL NFL players, they'd be on a legit NFL franchise, instead of the Detroit Lions of the AFC.

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Lol...the shit that gets spun.

I love the "focus on winning, Mangina" line. What's that jackass thinking asking players to do their jobs and be better football players individually? Bastard should be fired pulling stupid tactics like that.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

well yea, thats the way the world works....

if something is right, its good and it keeps going.

if something is wrong, its bad and gets fixed and changed.

This philosophy has kept the Earth spinning for eons.

12. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Mangina was proud of the teams efforts, and he liked his game plan.

This is him talking about a game where they scored 3 points against what was a 3 win team, and they also blew what control they had over the playoff picture.

Enough said!

They lost 3 of their last 4 but we all know it should be 4 for 4, and he talks like this is supposed to happen, he must go!

Buffalo who has yet to win a division game, beat all four of the west coast teams we lost to, that basically means we suck!

13. JetsLookingforDWare

And everything that works was...born working?

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

not it was fixed... but whats been fixed????????

forget the firings for 5 seconds.... explain to me what has been improved since the Tennessee game?

15. JetsLookingforDWare

Nothing...the fact that nothing has improved is kind of the issue, isn't it?

Doesn't mean they won't improve. Or can't improve.

16. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

No it just means they have not improved and got worse, at the most important part of the season. That's a red flag in my book!

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

they can improve, but a month of waiting for it against cupcake teams makes it tough to wait around longer.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

No. He should be fired for sucking as an NFL coach.

19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Here's the problem with his style of coaching: You cannot let a player dictate how much effort they will individually put into practice/study. When you play in a place such as NY with as many distractions as could be, you need to lock these guys down and constantly insist on getting their full attention and performance. Once you leave it up to some multi-millionaire 20-something to act like football is the only thing worth thinking about, you've lost.

Also, he should spend less time tweaking his system during the season. Pick a few things and use them for the entire season - if it works keep it next season, if not axe it. If something is blatantly missing or needs to be addressed then tweak it.

He's getting caught up in all his bullshit and now there's no way to get his players back - at least for this season.

Not a good situation.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I know the one word he loves...opportunities.