The Forgotten Man: Patrick Ramsey

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kinghenry89, Apr 30, 2006.

1. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Alright, I know everybody is all caught up in draft hysteria and chomping at the bit to put in "The Future"--because everybody knows that 21 year olds with 0 games of NFL experience are going to lead us to the Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I love the draft too and I certainly have high expectations for all of our picks (at least the top 3 ones.)

But don't forget about the guy who is currently our starting QB, Patrick Ramsey. Just 4 years ago Ramsey was a beacon of potential--a strong armed, tough as nails QB who had a sparkling college career at Tulane and was picked in the first round. But in Washington he struggled (like the rest of his team) with Steve Spurrier's system and then was never given a chance to play under Joe Gibbs.

Am I saying that Ramsey is the future of the Jets? Not necessarily. But not too long ago he had more potential than Kellen Clemens, and currently he is our starter. I think that we should be getting excited about the present!

2. nyjballandbeer51

nyjballandbeer51 New Member

Is he listed officially as the starter on opening day?

3. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

Might as well be. It should and probably will be Pat. All of you who think Chad will pick up and continue probably haven't had your money maker destroyed twice in 2 years.

4. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

he's not forgotten, he just sucks

5. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Well, Ramsey is definetly going to get his shot. I don't believe Pennington will be ready by Week 1, and Mangini sure as hell isn't starting Clemens right off the bat. I'm cautiously optimistic about what Ramsey can do. He has a strong arm with adequate accuracy, and a whole lotta moxy. He has a tendency to make poor decisions and stay in the pocket longer than he should. If he can overcome that, he might provide a solid bridge to our QB of the future, Kellen Clemens.

6. ChuckkieB

ChuckkieB Member

Ramsey will keep the spot warm until Pennington is ready.......or until the FO thinks Clemens is ready. We could very well have 3 different starting QB's this year..........again.......

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Ramsey is going to get his shot, but I also think he is going to crumble under the pressure. And with the selection of Clemens, he will probably feel like this is his only shot. I don't think he is a pressure player.

8. Buttle

Buttle New Member

Ramsey is one player I will be rooting hard for. He sounds like a really tough team guy. The Redskin fans rave about his character, toughness and leadership. I don't know what happened with Gibbs but experts loved loved him after his 1st season. With Gibbs he never really seemed to get a chance. People say he couldn;'t beat out Brunell but remember Brunell was Gibbs handpicked guy to come in and lead the team. He has a cannon arm that would suit him well in the Meadowlands. I would love to see him sign long term as either a back-up or a starter if he does well.

9. jetsaholic1094

Yeah, it seemed like he got a raw deal in Washington. Brunell was playing really well, and deserved to start, but Ramsey never had an opportunity to make a stab for the starting spot. Gibbs was pretty intent with having Brunell as his guy all the way. I can't understand the Campbell pick, though. That, to me, raises red flags. They didn't even consider Ramsey as a solid backup?

10. Buttle

Buttle New Member

It scares me to. Who knows what the reason was with Gibbs. But at worst all he cost us was a 6th round pick. He might not be Tom Brady but he has a lot of potential for a 6th round pick. All three of our QB's have potential. Hopefully one of them will work out. Most likely only two of of our QB's will be around in 2007. The question is who will be gone after this season Ramsey or Pennington?

11. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

Ramsey will most likely be the starer on opening day, I doubt Chad will be ready by training camp

12. The Mariner

The Mariner New Member

Are we going to have a QB carousel this year? Definitely seems like a possibility.

13. jetsaholic1094

That's fine with me, as long is at leads to finding a definitive starter for the next season.

14. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Penny will probably never be our QB again, those 2 surgeries, he is done.

Ramsey is going to be our starter for atleast this year, and i highly doubt he will crumble, or have any pressure to make him crumble, its not like he is going to a superbowl type team to help lead them, he is in a rebuilding team to try and help us get wins.

I doubt ramsey has any pressure on him, if at any case he has less stress and pressure of his shoulders, leaving washington for him was a godsend.

Now he is coming to a team that is going to him him a shot because they believe, that is all he asked for, is for someone to believe in him, and he will enjoy his new team, and maybe even triumph...

He is the perfect QB for our situation. Having 2 new starters on the OLINE, they will get a chance to gel, knowing ramsey is a tough as nails QB and getting sacked, will not mean surgery.

Don't sleep on him, he might be our future, don't hate he might throw for 20 plus TD's, don't judge before knowing what he is as a jet, he might surprise you, don't be quick to boot, every one needs a chance to settle.

15. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

i believe ramsey will start. if he is mediocre/bad chad will replace him when healthy. if we are .500 or better and getting decent qb play, i think theyll stick with ramsey

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For those who say Ramsey sucks need to look hard a Breese in SD. All the fans that can't see past the obvious said he sucked big time. All of the sudden, with a lot of coaching help and a better line he damn near took them all the way. Injuries stopped him from beign still the No. 1 QB in SD. Ramsey, given the chance and some good coaching, might surprise us all.

17. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Can i just say that Ramsey does not suck... well he is better than Pennington thats all that matters. Ramsey is not the Jets future nor is Pennington. Clemens or someone else is. Bolly, Ramsey and now Pennington are not going to win the Jets a superbowl ever. Cleared that one up

18. AlbanyJet

AlbanyJet New Member

Is Bollenger still on the team? It seems to me that we will need three healthy QB's and evidently Pennington won't be ready for the start of the season. Brooks earned a chance to compete.

19. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Mangini said that Bollinger won't necessarily be cut just because the Jets are carrying 3 QBs but his chances are not good.

Back on Ramsey, I just find it interesting that people are tripping over themselves to compliment the potential of Clemens, who is 4 years younger than Ramsey but was a much less successful college QB and has less impressive physical tools. I'm not saying that Ramsey is the future of the Jets or better than Clemens, I'm just pointing out how quickly we forget about potential.

20. boomer

boomer Active Member

I think it should be Pennington if he's healthy and Ramsy if he's not. Clemens should just sit a year or two until he's ready, or if we just suck like last year.