The Darnold Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Sep 13, 2020.

1. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Watching Darnold there really is no hint of a special QB anywhere anymore. I do understand he's still just 23 and a lot of guys don't even take their first NFL snap until they're as old as Sam is now or even a bit older

Was it ever really there? I don't know. I thought I saw it. Maybe because I wanted to see it

The fact that he still makes idiot decision like that across the body over the middle INT, or running out of bounds and losing yardage when he could have thrown it away. Flat out missing makeable throws. What does he do that's great or even good? I don't see a quarterback that's well suited for this offense. Nor do I see one with much passion or ferocity. Hate to say he's just another one of those laid back California kids but is he working hard enough to get better? Does he want to do what it takes to be the best QB in the NFL? I'm just not seeing any improvement out of him. I don't see confidence and decisiveness and BELIEF in the system and in himself when he drops back

Where have we failed him? Lots of areas. The O-line his first two years (it's being significantly repaired finally) WEAPONS. All he's ever had was a revolving door of 2nd and 3rd rate NFL talent. Including this year. What kind of chemistry could he possibly have with Perriman and Chris Hogan by now? And in previous years...Anderson, Enunwa, Kearse, an aging D Thomas etc. Has he ever had a consistent running game? Also no. Hard to operate that way. A coaching change as well (with another one possibly incoming)

Still I never see Darnold raising the game of those around him. Supposedly he was very meh this year in training camp. That's not a good sign...though it is an unusual year. It's also more than a little irritating watching guys like Minishew come into the league out of nowhere and be miles ahead of Darnold.

I'm starting to think that even though we have shortchanged him in some ways, Darnold himself just isn't doing enough or just doesn't have it in him to be a great or even very good QB. That his accuracy isn't and never will be all that good, that he will never cut out the dumb mistakes, that he perhaps isn't mentally tough enough for the NFL

I won't throw the towel in on him yet as he's still only 23, but next year we must finally give him a full deck. Still if this team sputters to somewhere between 2-14 and 5-11...chances are we're drafting a QB (the Lawrence catchphrases are already out in full force) and that QB may very well beat out Darnold in training camp anyway

#1 JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Darnold will go to a different team when he's 25 and become a star or at least very good QB. It's how it goes with this shitstain franchise.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The timing just wasn’t right for Darnold and the Jets.

The team is still light years away from having the talent to be competitive and it just won’t make sense paying Darnold while the team is still being built.

It will be funny when Darnold goes to Cleveland when they move on from Mayfield.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He’ll be someone’s back up, get a shot and then lead his team to the conference championship game like the last QB Gase tried to ruin.

alleycat9 and rammagen like this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Thats why a lot of us were mad when Mac went for a 26 year old interior defensive linemen after drafting Darnold that year. Where was the urgency to get this kid weapons to grow alongside him? The offensive line was in tatters and that should have been the priority last year. We passed on two capable starting centers in Paradis and Morse because our genius GM liked Harrison. There should have been a desire to get him a WR1 as soon as possible. Murray was given Hopkins and Allen has Diggs. Sam was given...Perriman. It seems like we have been asleep at the wheel and thought our "franchise QB" was going to carry the team despite having the worst offense in the league.

rammagen likes this.
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Maccagnan did so much long term damage to this franchise, it's inconceivable.

7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Darnold needs to be put on notice that this is his last chance here. Patrick Mahomes is only a year older than him, so I don't want to use Darnold's age as an excuse. It's put up or shut up time for Sam: He's on season three and he needs to show SOMETHING. An occasional good game here or there is not "improvement".

REVISion and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

There is no dilemma he's garbage !

REVISion and Ray Lucas like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The quick reaction posts blow my mind. Sam had a bad game. With a new O-line. New WR's. On the road. Against a great defense. In a pandemic. He will bounce back. I get the disappointment though, because I feel it too.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yes, he had a bad game, just like most of his games. Seriously, how many could you honestly call good?

REVISion likes this.
  11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Hard to be optimistic. He looked god awful. His throws were as erratic as I can remember ever seeing. Hackenberg level

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Let's not push it here...

13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Eh Hackenberg might be pushing it. Don't get me wrong...I like Sam and want to see him do well but he couldn't complete a pass more than a few yards downfield today.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In all fairness, that Bills defense is arguably elite. On the downside, our schedule this year is tough in general. But on the upside, at least the Jets won't be able to delude anyone that they're better than they actually are. Plus if we're gonna suck, I'd rather go 2-14 than 6-10.

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Lettting Anderson walk was a bad move Darnolds carrer.He had a great chemistry with him...Perriman showed nothing yesterday.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Total shitshow by the whole offense including Darnold, oline, receivers, but I have to agree I don't see anything special from this kid so far

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Those three second round picks we gave the Colts could have been used to add the pass rushers and receivers we just don't have.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

At the moment there's not really much of a dilemma. You don't pay him no matter what. He isn't worth a second contract at this point.

But we also have two years of control. If we finish with a top 2-3 pick then QB is in play because that means Darnold had a dreadful year.

Unfortunately he looked worse than we've ever really seen him yesterday (minus the New England ghosts game), and he has time. He looked more like Geno out there. Blatantly missed throws, running out of bounds for a sack, delay of game to START a drive. It was disgusting.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

If we have the option to draft Trevor Lawrence, you do it. it sucks but Sam has not shown enough even though the team sucks. If we have a top 3 pick, expect Sam to look like that all season.

usc qb syndrome is them playing with a superior OL and talent vs awful pac12. Need more battle tested QBs in the future.

Ray Lucas and matt robinson 17 like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He played 11 ranked teams in two years at USC including out of conference games. His offensive line wasn't the usual brick wall USC had with Leinart and Sanchez.

Darnold was special in college. The Jets haven't done a thing to set him up for success and he's in year 3. He looked like he had David Carr syndrome. Jittery feet, bonehead decisions under duress and he was pressing badly.

We need to see some more games. But if he looks as he did this week, then we've officially ruined him and he never really had a chance.