The China Problem

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Acad23, Apr 13, 2020.

?

Is the Rise of China Detrimental to the Rest of the World?

1. Yes

62.5%
  2. No

31.3%
  3. Undecided

6.3%
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Most of Nike and Adidas along with Deckers have moved sneaker and shoe manufacturing to Vietnam. Nike still does a lot in China but it's shrinking fast. I believe today about 50% is in Vietnam and about 20% in China. They also make stuff all over the rest of Asia.

If you look at Nike's profits retail sales in China are the fastest growing sector of Nike sales. Those profits are brought back to the US where most of the stock holders are. It's a huge plus for the US to have sales growing overseas. We get too monetize and tax profits that are brought back into the US.

As these "third" world countries consume more we are abandoning a huge appetite for US goods and services.

Stop looking in the rear view mirror. When Clinton was President we had full employment no inflation, high salaries and a balance budget on an annual basis. Now China is finally consuming and you want to stop selling shit to them. It's ass backwards. Boeing is done without China.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

General Motors sells more cars in China than they do in the United States. Has been that way for several years now.

GM has about 50,000 American, union employees making a good wage. Not to mention all their suppliers and their workers needed to get those cars built.

Idk anything about Michael Jordan’s overpriced shoes though

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Right. That's not what you said though. You said they don't make them in China, they only make them in Vietnam.

I missed the point where anyone ever said we should cut off trade with China? People are advocating to manufacture products here. No one wants to shut down our global trade.

FJF likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

A RoKu, RoKu, Inc., simply doesn’t come into existence ever at that price point. The innovation itself is the low cost, small form factor device.

They make their money through their platform, not their hardware. In order to make that money the hardware needs to be in millions of homes. At $120 it would never have been in millions of homes

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

edit:

I guess the mod thought it wasn't funny (or maybe a wee bit racist).

Which it was...or wasn't.

So much for free-wheeling political discussion... :confused:

#25 Acad23, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I believe GM is building most of the cars for the Asian market in Asia including China. They still bring profits back to the US. Tesla is kicking ass in China and they are also building in China. It's the biggest auto market in the world. It's down 40% this year because of the virus but Tesla has sold over 10,000 vehicles in China in March when auto sales were down 40% because of the virus. Tesla is becoming a BMW and Mercedes killer world wide. It's still good for the USA to have products engineered and profits brought back even if production moves to where sales are.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

What are you talking about? They make money solely on their hardware which provides the simplistic interface to add apps to stream video at up to 4K video on. Of course they make money on their hardware, and licensed their technology out to make televisions with it built in.

What other revenue stream do they have, other than the physical devices? There is no recurring revenue or subscription required to own one. They launched a free, ad-based channel in 2017, but that's about it.

They succeeded because of simplicity and inclusivity. AppleTV limits (or previously did at least) what apps you can add. Chromecast has latency issues. Amazon Fire sticks had similar licensing issues associated with apps owned by competitors.

I get what you're saying regarding the cost, but DVD players were $100+ when they first came out and for the better half of the 2000's decade before Blu-Ray came along. That didn't stop people from having them. Not sure why you think it'd stop people from buying streaming devices.

#27 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We do make products here, we should and we will. Sounds like we're on the same page. We should make stuff, sell stuff and buy stuff. Not sure what we were arguing about.

9. BrowningNagle

they don’t make money solely on their hardware, that’s false. Not true.

they are a publicly traded company in the USA so their earning reports are easy to find. In their most recent filing they reported 2/3rds of their revenues comes from their platform, not their hardware

10. Jonathan_Vilma

What else do they make money on besides their hardware and their licensing agreement to work with TCL to make TV's with their hardware? They have something called the Roku Channel that is some sort of freeware model, but I've never heard of anyone using it.

Enlighten me. Their entire business model is centered around selling the device. And it's sold so we'll. Their stock compared to their IPO price has done extremely well, probably because they haven't left the cube of what they do well.

11. BrowningNagle

I told you, this is the 3rd time, now. They make money off of their software platform. 2/3rds actually, according to their latest earnings report.

Their CEO has even said they are "in the ad business, not the hardware business"

here is a good writeup on their business model: https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/07/investors-are-missing-the-point-on-roku/

12. Jonathan_Vilma

There is no way to access the Roku software without buying the hardware. I'm not sure what you don't understand about that. You can't buy Roku software. You must buy the hardware, whether that be a TV or an actual Roku device. They have a ton of different licensing models that they benefit from subscriptions of other apps and obviously advertising. But there is zero way to get revenue from any of those streams without having the hardware.

13. BrowningNagle

...and you would be wrong, again lol

edit- well I guess not totally wrong. At the beginning of their business maybe you would be right, but certainly not today.

I guess you didn't read my article :( Oh well, life in 2020 is all about being convicted in your opinions, not necessarily correct. :)

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

I did. But it doesn't really matter because we're arguing classifications of revenue that have nothing to do with the initial point. Households would have some form of streaming device whether they were $50 or $125.

Roku just wouldn't have gotten to the point of collecting ad revenue as quickly as they did. It's the same idea behind what Facebook did (which is obviously free, but a similar model). Keep it ad-free until you have enough impressions to charge an arm and a leg for it, and people are comfortable enough having it before they realize they'll succumb to viewing ads one way or another.

15. BrowningNagle

I think maybe your issue revolves around understanding just exactly who their customer is. The person who buys the device for their living room is not really their customer. Well, 1/3 of it anyway. But oh well, carry on I guess. fun talk

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can the mod that changed the thread title change it once again?

It should now read "The Problem With RoKu"...

Thanks.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"The Problem with Roku Financial Statements"

NYJetsO12 and Acad23 like this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Ha, what did it say? This should probably be merged with the China Love In Thread because soon enough all of the responses will turn into the U.S. being the shitheel in all things here.

As far as the whole manufacturing thing, I can't even get an extra fucking FireStick until September or something because it's made in China/Hong Kong. Speaking of Hong Kong, Coronavirus, see how I laugh, because the people of Hong Kong are sure are giving the Chinese government the worst case of the Hong Kong Flu they've ever had to deal with. Those silly people who are willing to die because they won't shut the fuck up about human rights abuses, hopefully peaceful protest that is continuing unabated will be the biggest fucking virus to ever escape China. May you not be deterred.

EDIT & P.S.: Something I have NEVER seen mentioned as part of the conversation is the millions of masks that went AWOL between last year to present in Hong Kong. That's because the people of Hong Kong were wearing them en masse in small groups, armies of one, and in huge crowds not because of the Coronavirus or any other virus, but to shield their identity and lessen their chances of being arrested. China will not discuss how this has contributed to the shortage and won't touch the subject with a 1,0000 foot pole, lololololololololololololololLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

EDIT & P.P.S. for clarification: No- one is actively protesting in Hong Kong NOW because of crowd restrictions due to the Coronavirus. How ironically convenient.

#38 jetophile, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

If you’re buying Air Jordans period you’re pissing your money away as a result of a dazzling marketing campaign and you get no sympathy from me.

Get off my lawn.