The Castillo Era

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Dec 16, 2020.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This was a bad day to buy a Castillo jersey.

2. ConcordeChops

McLaughlin jersey on order.

Brook! likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When he first came in a few weeks back and made some nice kicks, I was like 'who is this guy???'. Then heard him giving his post game talk in spanish! So then I was REALLY like 'who is this guy???'. I was hoping for the best for him, a dream come true sort of thing. Then Sunday happened. The kicks he missed are makeable 9 out or 10 times, even though they were the same distance as the Scott Norwide miss.

What's up with so many kickers missing xtra points this season?

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Kicking is a tough business. There’s a reason why he’s been a journeyman. Also he was good before Ficken returned and they left him off the roster a few games which probably didn’t help him or his confidence.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The number of people moaning when Ficken was put back in, saying the Jets have found their kicker was ludicrous.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I hear the Vikings are accepting resumes

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Something went wrong mentally with Castillo. It may have been all the losing that got to him. Ficken is still as shaky a kicker as we ever had. Castillo for some reason lost his mojo. The reality is, for a short time, both Ficken and Castillo were decent. Seems that's as good as it gets since we don't pay kickers. Maybe we should just rotate kickers thru every 5-6 games or so.

8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jets would have lost only 40-12 if Castillo did not miss those three kicks. Why the hell they are even attempting FGs at this point is the real story here.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

They can always send the Cardinals a 2nd round pick for Mike Nugent.... oh wait...

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

11. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

No actually it was a great day. Castillo did everything he could to contribute to the Tankapalooza. Way to go Serge!! Wear it with pride.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I must say that it somehow seemed even more aggravating with our old kicker that we let go for god knows what reason driving bullseyes through from every angle for the other team. ::sighs::

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If we get the number one pick we all owe Castillio a few beers. This guy was so in on the tank that he was willing to sacrifice his job and career to help the Jets. True dedication. Sergio you are a true Jet hero and I salute you.

Snoopdogg and Cman68 like this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Pat Leahy says hello ...... how he lasted as long as he did is another story.

I really hope JD finds a long term answer at K. This merry go round needs to stop. A solid and dependable kicker can literally be the difference in a season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

In 2005 when Jets brass selected Nugen (kicker) in the 2nd round, it was shocking. Yes, Nugen was the best kicker in college and was making insane kick, but to burn a 2nd round pick on a kicker. Jets got lots of bad press for that.

BUT, at the time, I felt it. A good kickers usually score as many points as anyone over the season. And SOOO many late game heroics come down to the final kick. To me, a good kicker should be hailed as a good football player, someone to be respected and paid.

If college had a place kicker that was rock solid at 50yrd and below, and in the 90+% success for kicks in the 60's, and even a 'fair shot' at kicks approaching 70yrd, THEN I'd sign the beast to a 10yr, $40m deal. I would never let him (or 'her' now) leave the club house.

Teams don't seem to respect kickers very much and let them go and bring in another no name kicker likes its no big deal.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I think he’s another hero

helped us tank

miss you buddy

Cman68 likes this.
  17. ConcordeChops

This was a bad day to dispose of a Castillo jersey.

HomeoftheJets and twown like this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Him and GW both should get a bottle of Jamieson's.. :)

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Another superior player put on the roster by our idiot HC Gase & our GM :mad:

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

It should be no surprise that the Jets, who for years have typically scraped the bottom of the barrel for used FG kickers, paid for it with a dismal performance. Typical of the Jets to blame their own incompetence on a poor schnook recruited to bail out a decimated position. Watching Seattle, we are reminded the one time the Jets got a live one with Jason Myers, they let him walk.

As for Nugent, I thought it was a good move drafting him. I said it then and I still say it. At the time, the kicking game was thrust into huge importance by the exploits of Adam Vinatieri. The guy was winning games with long kicks as well as giving his team the ability to put points on the board even after stalled drives. What made matters worse was that he played for the Pats. The Jets saw an opportunity to get their own Vinatieri and went for it. I remember when Nugent took his first FG attempt and slipped on the grass at Giants Stadium, I said to myself "this could only happen to the Jets."

Khan and Footballgod214 like this.