The Case For Mac Jones

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 24, 2021.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

From another website. Interesting.

So how are the 49ers offense IF it is bought here and the Alabama offense similar? In concept, yes. Take out the RPO aspect, and here are the similarities between the offense Mac Jones ran at Alabama, and the offense the 49ers run.
    1) Both are a run first offense, and their success is establishing the run.
    2) Both use heavy play action and their QB has to sell every down.
    3) Both are up tempo offenses that want to get to the line quickly and adjust to what they see on defense.
    4) Both us heavy pre snap movement to expose match-ups. (Gase would never use this for some reason.)
    5) Both use multiple tight ends or one tight end and a 3rd tackle formation.
    6) The WR's all have to block, in all aspects of the game.
    7) WR's have multiple routes they can run on any given play call.
    8) Both run WR screens, bubble screens, and a version of the Jets sweep. (Alabama does have a wrinkle for a TE screen they did use towards the end of their season.)
    9) Both want their QB to get the ball in the hands of their playmakers, and not run.
    10) Both want their QB to push the ball downfield, in that sweat spot of 11-15 yards.
    11) Both need intelligent QB's to run their system, as both offenses are very complex in how they expose match-ups, and how they set up their blocking schemes.
    12) Their QB's to be successful need to be able to progress thru their reads quickly, and a lot of their success comes from option 2 and 3 vs just one.
    13) Both run complex routes to expose a WR on a safety, or a RB or TE on a LB.
    14) Neither offense requires their QB to play hero ball, they want the ball in their playmakers hands, not the QB's.
    So with these facts about the similarities of the offenses, and IF Saleh and LaFleur run Shanahan's offense with the Jets, here are the conclusions.
    1) Justin Fields cannot run this offense, due to the fact he struggles with reads past the first one or two guys
    2) Zac Wilson struggles with the short throws, and cannot run this offense.
    3) Trey Lance has never thrown for 300 yards in a game, and looked below average with his accuracy at his pro day in shorts, throwing to wide open receivers.
    4) Trevor Lawrence could run this offense, but would be an expensive proposition in the amount of draft capital to trade up.
    5) Kyle Trask could run this offense as well as Kellen Mond. If that is the case, maybe the Jets should trade back in the 1st round.
    6) Mac Jones is the perfect fit for this offense, and why he is linked to 3 teams right now, the Falcons, the Panthers, and the 49ers. Similar teams who run similar offenses to Alabama.
    So in the Jets best fits, if they trade back with the Falcons to #4, the Eagles to #6, and to the Panthers at #8, they can still grab Jones.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was just going to create a thread titled "Mac JOnes Pro Day", but I'll post here instead:

Here's a video of Mac Jones's - remember him? - Pro Day:

Mac Jones FULL Pro Day Highlights: Every Throw - YouTube

It has Daniel Jeremiah whose opinion I respect. It doesn't have much in the way of breakdown or any slow mo really but it's useful as a "gather an impression" I think. He misses quite a few throws, but as Jeremiah points out, working with guys he isn't familiar with has to be factored in. The two things I take from this are:

1. This wasn't part of the video, but Jones was quoted as saying that he wasn't happy with his performance, and I like that. It reinforces his reputation as a perfectionist, and I have no doubt whatever team winds up with him is going to get someone who never stops trying to improve.
    2. Jeremiah said he'd rank Jones slightly behind Burrow in processing ability, which is a strong indicator of successful QBs.

Judge for yourself.

From my POV, I'd be happy with Jones if Douglas trades back. Jeremiah has him going to the Saints at #28, but I think in this QB-crazy era he goes earlier, maybe in the high teens/low twenties, so at #23 he could probably be had.

Leicester Jet, boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Zac Wilson does not struggle with his short throws. That is patently false. It is Fields that struggles with short throws. I also think the statement about Fields not being able to run our offense is false. OSU had a lot of slow, long-developing plays. Fields might be slow right now in processing, but that doesn't mean that he can't get faster. He makes good decisions for the most part, is smart, and can see the whole field.

Mac Jones is NOT the perfect fit for this offense. He is immobile in the pocket, just like Trask. We would need a much better OL if either were to become our starting QB. Mond is a good prospect, but not nearly as good as Wilson. Lance has relatively little experience. He never needed to throw for 300 yards in a game because they were usually ahead and winning, and he could always pick up a lot of yards with this legs. He has a very strong arm, and I believe his accuracy can be improved, just like Allen's if he works at it. I don't recall if he has any flaws in his mechanics, but probably does.

I don't know that #9 is true either that they don't want their QB to run. With Alabama, it wasn't a necessity because they had such great WRs and great RBs. Their offense could rack up a ton of points without the QB running. Shanahan hasn't had a QB capable of running, either. Of course they want a QB who looks to throw first and foremost, and who doesn't just take off at the first sign of pressure, but a QB having the ability to pick up a first down with his legs like Aaron Rodgers is big.

#3 NCJetsfan, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    abyzmul, patleahy, boozer32 and 2 others like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Running QB is a requirement in LeFleur's offense?

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this except the conclusion about Wilson. Wilson has no shortcomings in what he's able to do with the ball. He would be THE best fit for a SF-type offense, but he could also excel in any other offense, whereas Jones's best fit is the SF offense, and he would be challenged in some other offenses that require more QB mobility. Given that the Jets will be running a SF-type offense though I'd be happy with Jones if they did trade back.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Prepare yourselves...Wilson’s going to be our guy.

JetsFan and boozer32 like this.
  7. boozer32

I hope so been on the Wilson train for awhile. But I can see the Jets not taking him. I would be bummed o early on draft day if that were to happens. I could see the Jets taking either Sewell or Fields.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If I had to guess I'd say the odds of JD taking Jones later in the draft over Wilson at #2 are about 80-20. If he is getting a QB at all this draft.

#8 ouchy, Mar 24, 2021
  9. boozer32

The scouts have also started bashing Wilson. It sounded pretty petty too. Saying he has issues cause his family is pretty rich. Uncle owns Jets Blue airlines and that he's a spoiled brat. I could care less as long as he throws touchdowns.

#9 boozer32, Mar 24, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Go get 'em Jimmy the Greek!

patleahy likes this.
  11. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

LOL...you remember the Greek, BicketyBam?!! :)

bicketybam likes this.
  12. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

as usual, well-said and spot-on assessment, NCJetsFan.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm just glad I got you out of the politics section long enough to troll me again. I'm sure you could use the fresh air and besides, where would this board be without your football insights?

14. bicketybam

I'm not trolling. I'm calling you out on the nonsense that you post. Let be real. After countless posts about how you want Devonta Smith at the #2 (which is beyond absurd) and with really no one patting you on the back saying "great idea!" you start a crusade against who a lot of people want the Jets to pick at #2. That happens to be Wilson. If it was Fields, you'd have made 50 posts as to why he would be a terrible choice. If it was Sewell, same thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are as transparent as glass.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Okay Hannibal Lector. Except I've been advocating for a trade down since before we lost the #1 pick, when we still thought we were getting Lawrence. Really the only thing that sidetracked that was Devonta Smith. My second choice has always been to trade down. Its year 1 of a rebuild and that is the formula I believe in.

16. bicketybam

Hannibal Lector? You have hundreds of posts on why the Jets should draft Devonta Smith with the #2. You don't really need me to pull them all out do you?

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Why would you need to do that when I've specifically started an entire thread devoted to Smith? Its not some secret. I'm sorry if it makes you hate me.

This is from last December, post 25:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/wilson-is-legit-but-will-2-be-too-much.94978/page-2

You don't know me dude.

18. bicketybam

Aren't you the guy that thinks Devonta Smith is a combination of Randy Moss and Jerry Rice? And that he would transform a team more than any QB could?
    I'm pretty sure I got a good grip on things

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

No you accused me of going on a crusade against Zack Wilson as some type of revenge because they didn't want Devonta Smith.

Also, Devonta Smith is a combination of Randy Moss and Jerry Rice, or maybe Al Toon instead of Moss, since we are Jet fans. That part is correct.

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mac Jones isn’t in play for the Jets in any situation and I love the kid as a Bama fan. One of the best seasons I’ve ever seen.