The Case for Jordan Matthews

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 74, Apr 29, 2014.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I'm a big Matthews fan. I think he's being overlooked big time right now. Would not be surprised if he gets drafted much higher than the mocks predict. If he goes in round two, I think that's a borderline steal for whoever gets him. That said, I would be interested to hear how you think he would fit into Jets scheme, why or why not another receiver would be a better fit, etc.

college stats:
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jordan-matthews-1.html

report from fflockerroom.com:
    Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt) 4.46 40-yard dash : A relative of Jerry Rice, Matthews departs Vanderbilt as the most productive pass catcher in SEC history. He’s a tall, narrow-framed, West Coast possession receiver with soft hands, a professional approach and the versatility to line up inside or outside. He ended his college career as SEC’s all-time leader in career receptions (262) and receiving yards (3,759), also setting school records for receptions, receiving yards and touchdown receptions (24). Matthews has good form as a route runner, sinks his hips and pops out of breaks. Concentrates, tracks and adjusts to the ball with the ability to track the deep pass over his shoulder. Soft hands, sticky fingers and has leaping ability to compete for the ball in the air. Has break away speed and can open up his stride in the clear. Tought by the great, Matthews has great field awareness as well as being a solid size (6′ 3″ 215lb) target.

following article from:
    http://www.playthedraft.com/posts/jordan-matthews-best-wr-in-2014-draft

Jordan Matthews: Best WR in 2014 draft

So, yesterday I promised to tell who the best WR in the 2014 NFL Draft was. It is Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt, and I will plead my case to you now…

There are several good-great WR prospects in this draft, and a handful of them have some argument as the single best WR in the 2014 class…like (alphabetically): Brandin Cooks, Mike Evans, Cody Latimer, Allen Robinson, and Sammy Watkins. When you have this many high-end talents to pick from, as I said yesterday, an NFL team would be insane to use a top-5 draft pick on any one of them…but some team will buy the media hype; they always do. You know of whom I speak: Sammy Watkins.

Let’s take a moment to compare the draft world’s WR hope who they have deemed as so radically better than all the other WRs in 2014 (Watkins) to a WR that is barely in most draft analysts list of their top-10 WRs, and is never in their top-5…Jordan Matthews.

I do not know how one can make the argument with a straight face that Watkins is the far superior WR on tape over Matthews. At the bare minimum, you could say they are both really good NFL prospects…and then turn to a study of their physical measurables as a tie-breaker. Proclaiming Watkins as a WR like none you’ve ever seen, and ignoring Matthews is a draft crime perpetrated on fans.

At a minimum, we’re arguing about the best WR in the ACC (Watkins) vs. best WR in the SEC (Matthews). Watkins almost led the ACC in catches, yards, and TDs in 2013. Matthews did lead the SEC in catches and yards…in fact, he is the career all-time SEC leader in receptions and yards.

Both WRs are highly decorated, and were great statistical producers in 2013; and for their careers. However, consider the context of their great college performance…

Sammy Watkins was a great performer in the ACC, a conference not as good as the SEC...and we all know that. Watkins played with an NFL draft prospect at QB (Tajh Boyd), and worked across from a current top 10-15 WR prospect Martavis Bryant. Watkins played in a lesser conference, with weaker opponents, on a team that mostly dominated said ACC opponents. He was afforded a potential NFL draft QB to work with every season, and also worked across from a WR (who will be drafted) who commanded defensive attention, especially in the red-zone.

By contrast, Jordan Matthews played on a lesser talented (than Clemson) Vanderbilt team, in the best football conference in America. He worked with three QBs in the past two seasons, none of which you will be seeing on Sundays. In 2013, due to injury, Matthews was working with the backup/freshman QB at times. Vandy did not have Martavis Bryant running across from Matthews, they had small, scrappy WRs taking off no pressure. Matthews was beyond the focal point of the passing game…and every team knew it. He was often bracketed in coverage with a CB right up on him and a Safety about 7-10 yards right behind the CB. Teams dared Vandy to try to find Matthews…and they did. Actually, it was Matthews finding ways to get open and making great catches in traffic. All Matthews did was lead the SEC in catches in back-to-back seasons, and led the conference in receiving yards as well in 2013 (was 2nd in SEC in 2012).

People look at Matthews only scoring 7 TDs in 2013 as some evidence of a mediocre performer. Well, guess what kind of coverage the tallest, best WR on his team got when Vandy sniffed the end-zone? I’m sure Matthews would love to have had 6’3”+ Martavis Bryant across the field in those situations…and Tajh Boyd throwing him the ball…and more Maryland, Virginia, Syracuse on the schedule.

I would argue all day that Jordan Matthews is at least the equal in talent as a receiver to Watkins. Matthews is a brilliant route runner and space finder. He is as smart and studious a WR as you will find. I saw it at the Senior Bowl week. Every time I scanned the field pre-practice. Most guys were stretching or milling around, while Matthews was grabbing the NFL coaches afforded, and was visibly taking one-on-one instruction on footwork, etc. There is no 'hole' in Matthews on the field or off of it.

Oh, some will say there is a 'hole'…you see quips about how Matthews dropped passes at the Senior Bowl, or has some 'drops' issue in general. Much of this comes from the same people that told you Logan Thomas was a great QB after watching him at Senior Bowl week. I was there. I never saw Matthews with any ‘drops’ issue. More so, I saw Matthews making catches that caught my attention. I have watched and re-watched the 2013 tape, and I chronicled a sampling of his games in detail from 2013 just to double check myself (go to College Football Metrics.com to see my play-by-play notes on Matthews)…the short version is: Matthews is better on a re-watch than he was when I first fell in love watching him. There is no ‘drops’ issue with Matthews. He is as clutch a WR as you will find in this draft.

If we can assume that Matthews is at least in Watkins’ universe as a WR talent, then look at the following measurables, and you tell me which WR is more NFL ‘built’:

Height: 6’3.1” Matthews vs. 6’0.6” Watkins

Weight: 212 Matthews vs. 211 Watkins

Hand size: 10 3/8 Matthews vs. 9 5/8 Watkins

Arm Length: 33.75” Matthews vs. 32” Watkins

Wing span: 80” Matthews vs. 76.5” Watkins

Bench press: 21 reps Matthews vs. 16 Watkins

40-yard dash: 4.46 Matthews vs. 4.43 Watkins (that’s right…they are about the same straight line speed)

10-yard split: 1.55 Matthews vs. 1.55 Watkins (that’s right…they have about the same burst)

Vertical: 35.5” Matthews vs. 34” Watkins (that’s right…Matthews is taller, has longer arms, and better vertical)

Broad Jump: 10’0” Matthews vs. 10’6” Watkins

Short-Shuttle: 4.18 Matthews vs. 4.34 Watkins

Three-cone: 6.95 Matthews vs. Watkins 6.95 Watkins

Matthews is as fast and agile as Watkins, but is taller-stronger-larger handed-longer armed-greater wing spanned-higher jumping than Watkins. Other than that it’s Watkins all the way!

The huge differential between Watkins and Matthews in mainstream scouting and mock drafts is a farce. I’ll argue for Matthews as a better pro prospect than Watkins, but I’ll 'hug it out' with you if you say, “they are both going to be good-great NFL WRs.” We can live peacefully in the understanding that they are more equals for the NFL Draft. However, the football world has decided Watkins is approximately 40+ picks superior in the NFL Draft over Matthews. I do not get it.

In PTD, Matthews is trading as a 48.9 FRX, projecting as the 48th pick in the draft. Watkins is a 4.1 FRX, projecting as the #2 overall pick in the draft. This is a crime against football humanity. I’ve been a buy and hold on Matthews from my first trade on PTD…I reiterate that rating. It probably won’t pay-off until closer to draft day.

T-minus 14 days and change until D-Day. Good Luck with your PTD moves today.

R.C. Fischer is an NFL Draft analyst for College Football Metrics.com, and a football projections analyst for Fantasy Football Metrics.com. His group also provides player projections for Advanced Sports Logic’s football software “The Machine.” Twitter @FFMetrics, @CFBMetrics

#1 74, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    xmscott likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I wouldn't be surprised to see Matthews drafted at any point after the 25 or so. I'd be very surprised if he was still hanging around at the 49.

3. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

It's comical how much these players fall out of and into favor between last season and the draft, often for reasons that I don't think are justifiable. Granted, it's probably all because draftniks need to keep things interesting throughout that time to keep the NFL as a 365 a year product.

I was just telling my buddy that I could see us waiting on WR and grabbing Matthews in round 2 if he's actually "falling down draft boards".

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love Matthews, but he does have a problem with drops. I think he dropped something like 7.42% of passes thrown his way. It may have been a focus thing, or trying to adjust to poorly-thrown passes while fighting off defenders, but he did have a problem with drops. To just brush it aside as that writer did is wrong.

5. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Yea.. Let's draft another receiver in the 2nd round who can't catch.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sarcasm?

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Matthews and would love him on the Jets.
    Playing on a poor team in a great conference, all different inexperienced QB's, and he still produced and produced. That shows me a lot, and shows me he is ready for the Jets O. lol

He has the size, speed, hands, work ethic, and maturity to make it in this league.
    I agree he'd be an absolute steal anywhere in the 2nd, but i don't see how he makes it to #49. I'm wary on trading up this draft due to our depth needs, but he would be someone i'd consider pulling the trigger for if he gets up around pick 40..

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Case for Matthews well made. Trade down a few spots grab him around 24-26?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading down to the Browns slot at 26, for example, would leave the Jets with several WR options likely still on the board. Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews and Brandin Cooks are all good possibilities to still be there. There are other people that could fall based on various concerns also. C.J. Mosley got really beat up at Alabama over his career and I think he might be a faller in the draft as a result. Calvin Pryor could also fall to that range. He's not a true FS but he is almost a perfect Rex Ryan FS, since he plays like a SS no matter where you put him.

10. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

I like your points on JM...but if you would draft JM ahead of Sammy you are a moron. Sammy is going to the HOF. I am a Clemson alumni, best play I have ever seen.... Kyle Fuller, Joyner, no one could hold his jock.

11. abyzmul

Not sure what is more moronic, saying you would draft Matthews over Watkins, or predicting Watkins is going to the HOF before he is even drafted.

12. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

I'm a big Jordan Matthews guy as well. He will be one of 30 guys attending the draft so I'm sure someone has told him he will be drafted in the first round as he should. It's funny how he is always in top 10's for this year's WR's and the consensus #1 senior WR and most pro-ready WR being able to play all three WR spots and doesn't need to work on running the route tree like other prospects but is always overlooked on most mock drafts. But when you see him getting picked the first words by scouts is how is will be able to produce right away in the NFL. I just find it ridiculous to tell you the truth...just like how Teddy Bridgewater had a so-so pro-day and is now falling to the second round of most mock drafts. All I have to say is that the TAPE doesn't lie.

I feel that when the JETS are on the clock to make their pick they have to take an offensive guy in the first round. Truthfully, I think it comes down to Odell Beckham or Ebron at #18. But if the JETS decide to trade back with possibly Cleveland at #26 to pick up Jordan Matthews, they will be able to get additional picks that can be used to trade up on day two of the draft. Brandin Cooks was a possibility to me with the pick but this guy will have to block and block well because the JETS will always be a ground and pound team and he doesn't do that well at all. To me Decker and Matthews game is very similar in what they bring to the field of play both being 6'3 and running good routes and that is the only thing that might stop the JETS from drafting Jordan Matthews since they are lacking a speed element that Beckham can bring on the outside vertically and too special teams.

What the JETS need is a capable #1 guy that can get open and that is what Jordan Matthews does. He makes great catches down the sideline and at 6'3 212 you can't teach his size. Sammy Watkins is a special player that will have an impact in the NFL from day one and so will Jordan Matthews. I can't wait for the NFL Draft and see who the JETS pick.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. abyzmul

Good post. It seems like most of the Mock Draft hoopla is more obsessed with predicting the next big thing (aka Megatron Fever) than it is about being correct. A prospect like Beckham gets overrated because he has great "measurables" even though his own college QB and OC didn't think enough of his ability to consider him the primary target.

Matthews is one of the most polished and complete receivers in this draft, and his speed, quickness, size, skills and physicality are very underrated, it's sort of mind-boggling that he gets dismissed by most "experts". Probably because he's not flashy. I won't be surprised to see him being taken before the 20th pick. I think he'd be a perfect fit for the Jets opposite Decker.

74, Red Menace and BacktoQueens like this.
  14. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

NO ONE in their right mind would take Matthews over Watkins. I could not care less if he played in the SEC and Watkins played in the WAC. Watkins is a superstar. He is so good he will draw a #1 Cb every game, will Matthews...ehh doubtful.

15. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think Watkins' ceiling is as a mid-tier #1 WR. I don't think he has the ceiling of Megatron, or AJ Green, or Julio Jones, or a few other guys. Just my opinion. I don't see superstar, but I can see a very productive #1 WR. Just my opinion. I think that he has the highest upside of any guy in the draft, but I don't think he's a far and away better prospect than a lot of those guys.

The more I think about it, the more I'm hoping for Lee. I don't even have solid reasoning to back it up. But I would be more than okay with Cooks or Matthews. I just don't want to hear Benjamin or OBJ on draft day really.

16. abyzmul

Your admission of being a Clemson fan combined with the way you are posting pretty much makes your opinion on the subject negligible.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO passing on a game-breaking, playmaking WR because he doesn't block that well is moronic and grounds for being fired. Screw the ground and pound and screw Rex if he's married to it.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm going to piss off some people, I think Matthews will be drafted by the Pats in Rd 1.

New England has other needs, but could use a WR and Matthews seems like a Belichicken Guy.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

if Matthews is there when they pick, i absolutely think they go that direction. He is pro ready and their window is closing. He is also a tremendous worker, smart, and a team first guy.

i wouldn't mind the Jets taking him at 18 honestly..

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

He's right though. Comparing Watkins to Matthews is insane- I dont care how high you are on the guy. But instead you take the abyzmul way and attack the person to discredit the argument rather than attack the actual argument.