The case for a QB (Geno) in the 2nd. (Please dont merge)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Apr 26, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

So, I know a ton of people on here seem like they want to commit suicide if we pick Geno.

Let me try and talk you off the ledge-

Geno Smith is a student of the game, leader and good football player. He is not Andrew Luck or RG3 or even Matt Ryan coming out, but he's a heck of a football player and person. Dalton, Brees, Wilson, Kaepernick, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Flacco were all not supposed to be once in a generation players. They were looked at as good prospects, but not those "cant miss" guys. All of them have had very good success in the NFL.

Geno Smith would be a 2nd round pick. He's not coming in here as a 5th overall pick, and sure as hell would not be making that type of money. In worst case scenario, he doesnt work out, we havent screwed ourselves over financially like we have with Sanchez. If he does work out, we have a young QB for 4 years with a very cheap contract. That allows us to use that money elsewhere (talent around him). Next year we should have 50 million in cap space, that money could very well be used to build around a QB, and it should be.

Everyone is saying "wait until next year", but many of those QBs have big question marks as well, aside from Bridgewater. In order to get Bridgewater, we would need a top 2 pick (and dont think about trading up, because whoever is there likely will need a QB). Worst case scenario, Geno doesnt show enough this year and we are picking top 2. We can draft Bridgewater still, and potentially trade Geno for a 2nd or 3rd. Kolb, Schaub, Alex Smith and Palmer are pretty poor QBs who were had for a 2nd or higher. Teams are desperate for QBs (us example A), so having 2 good ones isnt a bad thing.

Geno fits perfectly in MM's system here. He's a great short to intermediate passer and Geno has bee compared to McNabb who MM has worked with and succeeded with. He has the talent to come in here and be our future QB. If given time to develop and talent around him, I dont see why he wouldnt flourish. He's a film junkie who spent more time after midnight at team facilities than the janitors. He's a student of the game and will have a massive chip on his shoulder.

We have to give this new regime the chance to try and develop their own QB. It they choose to do so, lets try and back Smith and hope for the best, because we may very well have our next franchise QB on our hands soon enough.

2. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

If we had two second round picks, I would be content with picking him (although I hated the temper tantrum he threw last night).

I DON'T WANT to trade up though to get him.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

If the Jets think that he is capable of being a franchise QB, which many do, it would be extremely stupid to not grab him at the cost of a mere 4th or 5th round pick.

4. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Thd biggest need on this team is QB. If they believe Smith is their guy, you have to do it. Let Sanchez take the ass wooping this year and Geno can start in 2014

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

This.......

6. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think he's a mistake of a pick...but rather have a mistake of a pick in the 2nd round than in the first so if it has to happen it has to happen. I'd still like us to go QB in the 4th, trade our 5th for Ivory and use our 2, 3, 6, 7 to draft the best available S, G, TE and OLB/DE (pass rusher in particular).

If we do have to do it I hope we at least don't trade up as that means we won't even be able to draft all of those necessary spots.

7. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

What kind of logic is this? If you don't want to trade up for him then you don't want him.

PS Eagles will take him if he's there so they would have to trade up.

8. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I'd be a lot more for him if I thought we did something in the first round to give him a better chance to succeed.

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I don't know how anybody could have watched last season and not be excited about this possibility. This team is going nowhere with Sanchez at QB. But if Geno can be Russell Wilson? At least it's an option of having somebody potentially good at the position, rather than being stuck with what we already know is going to be crap.

10. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

I think Geno can be successful given the right situation. Example: when the Eagles draft him and he can sit behind Vick until he gets hurt.

Geno would not be successful in this situation. Yes, Quarterback is a huge need. Yes, Mark Sanchez psyche is completely ruined. BUT I'd rather just let Mark go out there and run into his lineman's ass for another year while we build and asses our team moving forward.

We could get the 1-2 pick. On paper, we're very close to the worst team in the league. Rex just makes our defense top 15.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The problem is given the state of our OL and severe lack of skill players any QB we bring is going to get detroyed. If we drafted Warmack in round 1 I could get on board with going QB in round 2 but at this point all we are doing is drafting another body to throw to the wolves.

12. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

thank you.

13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I give up on the Jets if we move up and draft Geno

14. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

I've given up on them too many times, but realized it's impossible. We are forever linked.

15. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I think everybody is underrating the offensive talent on this team. Colon was a solid addition to the OL, which should still be decent, especially if they can find a RG. Holmes/Hill/Kerley is not a bad WR core. The RBs should be solid if they get Ivory. I too, would've liked this better if they had taken Eiffert or an offensive weapon, and certainly there's not an abundance of talent here, but it's not like there's absolutely nothing there. Look at RGIII. Came to the Redskins with just Moss and Garcon at WR and nothing at RB, but Alfred Morris was unexpectedly great. Luck didn't have much outside of Reggie Wayne. Wilson had Lynch but very little at WR and TE. Tannehill had nothing offensively as well. The Jets situation isn't worse than those teams were--the QB just makes everyone better.

16. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Are people forgetting Mark Sanchez is our quarterback, if you told me before the draft we'd get the best QB with our third pick in the draft I'd sign up every time.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Lax...you acted, last night, like you wanted to jump off a bridge with the Richardson' pick.

So I don't think you're qualified to tell us to not commit suicide.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Im mixed on Geno, but their is one thing I dont want to see.....Geno dominating the league on another team.

I rather live with the regret of taking him, then live with the regret of not taking him.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Who cares if he dominates on another team...he won't be in the AFCE.

You don't have to worry, he won't "dominate".

20. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

Holmes/Hill/Kerley is a bad WR core.
    Holmes is coming back from a bad injury. Healthy he's a very good #2 WR.
    Hill is a project with butterfingers. Definite potential, but he's not going to become Calvin Johnson in Year 2.
    Jeremy Kerely is a decent slot guy. He's not a playmaker.

Cumberland and Reuland should barely be on NFL rosters. So I won't even waste my time on that.

And the backs..
    Powell and Goodson are both good #2 guys.