The absence of holding training camp in Cortland is apparent.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Oct 11, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I've been thinking about this since the Oakland game.

The defense is being uncharacteristic, this team has had reported infighting with the WRs and Schotty's system.

To me, it all points to the team not training together at Cortland's facilities this summer. This team doesn't seem to have the same mentality or togetherness that they have when they've gone upstate to train.

The lockout has truly affected the Jets in a way I thought could have been overlooked. I thought because this was a veteran team, they could afford to skip Cortalnd due to pressed time. The reality is that they need to be there every year. It keeps the team focused.

The mental mistakes are the worst we've seen since Mangini and Herm. A Rex Ryan team has never looked this bad on defense, and the offense removed its identity for the first quarter of the season.

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

or it could just be that we suck.

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

New Jersey ruins everything.

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Why would we want a training camp just to practice holding?

/kidding

5. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I agree with most of your points. It might not be attributed to the actual location (Cortland), more to the lack of an offseason. The Jets are a run first ground and pound team, and teams like that need alot of reps together, even the littlest minute mistake by a lineman can resonate throughout the offense, and subsequently has a huge effect on the defense. Even in sanchez's rookie year the D wasnt consistently getting pounded on the field with little to no breaks inbetween. The 3 and outs killed us, and alot of that can be attributed to sanchez being hurried, or feeling the pressure and firing a little too early. I really think the Baltimore game left a lasting impression on Mark, because in certain situations he would normally step up and fire the ball ontime, instead he lets it go early and tries to force it at the fear of being stripped sacked/mauled by the D

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Com awn man, We talkin' bout practice.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Maybe it hurt our focus at the beginning of the year. Maybe it was the lack of Hard Knocks. Who the hell knows.

But they all sound like excuses.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

fu

9. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Take a looks at The Dream............ the Eagles.

All those new players including Aso and they stink.

Look at us. 2 new WR's a new tackle and "a change" at RB.

Kris Jenkins says this is now a rebuilding year. But next year we will (AGAIN!) shuffle our WR's. Blech,.

10. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

The Absence of Training camp.... AND this new rule on padded practices I think its 12 over a year? Has DEF destroyed are mystique... It sucks but thats the rules and what your given u have to adjust just like everyone else

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

They are excuses. We did go 2-0, so it's not like we came out of the gate completely unprepared.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Fact of the matter is that offenses are way ahead of the defenses league wide because of the lockout.

This hurts the Jets because their defense is what propelled the team to 2 AFCG's and their O is challenged as we can see.

So the Jets are in a double whammy and the by product is terrible football and seeming dysfunction.

I suppose we can make excuses but it is what it is.

13. Massena

Massena New Member

I don't think the problem where training camp is held. These guys are pros, do they really need to be treated like college kids?

I think the problems are essentially offensive and should be laid at the feet of the GM, who did not do, ANYTHING, to help the offense improve. Mason and Burress were not improvements over Cotchery and Edwards. Let's face it, they are old. Burress is playing like a guy who's been out of the game for two years having spent time in prison and Mason is a waste of the franchise's money, he should be cut. In addition, though the primary people on the offensive line are still very good, the backups do not represent depth by any stretch of the imagination.. In the last two years we let Faneca go and Woody. The running game is Greene up the middle and nowhere else and Tomlinson, who shouldn't even be on the team, he is wasting someone else's spot and he's another old dude. Teams get old fast in the NFL and if you don't keep up, you get passed by. We have three key skill players who are too old IMO.

Of course many will say that the personnel is just fine and it is the fault of the OC. I agree that some more creative play calling is called for but the lack of that implies what? That they don't think that Sanchez can put the team on his back and carry it? However, I think this is still mostly a failure in the front office, Mr. Tannenbaum. Remember every other team in the league had to deal with the lockout.

#13 Massena, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If Kris Jenkins said it, it has to be true.

15. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

this is an interesting topic. I've been throwing around the idea that the lockout has negatively affected Sanchez, and that his regression this year ( my opinion ) is due to not having coaching staff around him during his Jet West thingy. This may have allowed him to actually reinforce bad habits, like holding the ball as if it were a loaf of bread - to which he still does, etc....

i think its very obvious that certain teams have gelled faster than others, and while that's all commonplace and norm the advantage this affords you is huge compared to other years due to the lockout.

all my opinion of course.... but i'd love to hear why people agree/disagree.

16. Jet_Blue

Jet_Blue Member

Fact of the matter is that offenses are way ahead of the defenses league wide because of the lockout.

Well, this is not necessarily true for ALL offenses...right?

17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Most of what you state here are classic signs of a team with no discipline or accountability. Which reflects 100% on teh head coach. Not where or where they did not have practice.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Read much?

#18 Miamipuck, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011